Happy Halloween

Cantousent

Happy Halloween, everyone. I have to admit, I detest the holiday, but I know a lot of folks enjoy it. I hope you and any children you might have enjoy a nice and safe night full of scares but no real harm. As per usual, I'm going to celebrate Halloween by turning off my porch light and treating myself to a bottle or two of wine before I pass out. Cheers!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Too knackered. I had resolved to give any visiting parents of children martinis. No one showed.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Halloween isn't what it used to be. When I was growing up, it was (mostly) good clean fun--we'd walk miles along dark soggy farm roads dressed in a sheet and armed with a flashlight and a pillowcase for the booty. Now you're not cool if your parents don't buy you a costume... But not one dressed-up kid has been seen in my neighborhood for the past 10 years; even when my girls were young, I'd rather take them to a party then let them take their chances out in the wilds.

My youngest (mid-20's) and I sat down with a bottle of wine and played Sacred 2 across the LAN till 3 a.m. She kept missing the hotkey for inventory and hitting the one that summoned her god instead ... some huge angry minotaur-looking thing which then chased us ALL over (before killing us), wreaking havoc on the countryside as it went. So much better than handing out expensive candy to cell-phone toting snots who can afford it better than I can.

My daughter had her first preschool Halloween parade (she was Snow White), and my son ran around in a lion costume. It was a lot of fun. I'm exhausted!

My God, man, I leave for a while and when I get back you've got a new kid! Congrats!

As for Halloween, I used to love giving out candy, but the kids got older and older until, the last year I handed out candy, I had 18-20 year old kids coming to my house and they weren't even all that friendly. Now, I'm a born again Christian, and so I want to do the right thing, but the sight of surly adults coming to my door for free candy pisses me off. They wanted to reach in and look through my candy and take a bunch, to which I told them to take one and hit the bricks. I decided, at that point, to stop handing out candy before one of them made me angry enough to put my foot in his backside. So, I didn't use to hate the holiday, but I guess I've just gotten older and more jaded. :cant's patented scowl icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thankfully my sister got stuck with handing candy out to the kids. Watching them do it as I was coming home, not sure what was so fun about it though, they'd might as well just hit up Costco and get it in bulk. Ah well, strange people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I celebrated by watching the Florida Panthers lose a heartbreaker to the Jets. Then spent the rest of the night watching Paranormal Activity (very good) then Paranormal Activity 2 (not so good).

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thanks Cant. There definitely is an age where trick or treating is no longer appropriate.

But it is hard to find a better time of the year to meet the neighbors. It gives everyone an excuse to knock on doors and engage is chit chat. We went by a house near our street that was a bit off the beaten path, and they were super excited to see us, they hadn't had a trick or treater in a couple years. They gave my daughter full candy bars >_<

She kept missing the hotkey for inventory and hitting the one that summoned her god instead ... some huge angry minotaur-looking thing which then chased us ALL over (before killing us), wreaking havoc on the countryside as it went.

Sounds like a good time. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

my brother's wife got bored and so dressed their daughter up as Nibbler from Futurama

now she's on the Comedy Central website

I must have one of those brainslug wool hats.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Someone showed me this picture. I thought it was histerical and so I thought I'd post it. Granted, it's actually quite terrible, but I can't help but laugh at it. Definitely wouldn't do it myself, though. Total comedy.

http://www.twitpic.com/775tpw

Obsidian Plays