What would you be eating?

Walsingham

Bollito Misto would be my choice. Several kinds of boiled meat, served with the broth and a bunch of condiments.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I belong to the culinary challenged :(

Bought this pair of Hoki filets and had to look up on Google whether I was supposed to grill or bake it :blush:

Ended up throwing some Piri Piri and a bit of Dill at it and bake it in the oven. Not too shabby with a bottle of Chardonnay. I like simple food :)

I like sea food and would prefer to get it more often. Not many good sea food places around (Fish&Chips doesn't really count)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Black pudding with bacon. Awesome stuff! Blood and meat, all in one sweet tasting dish!

Washed down with some cold milk.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have a fair sized garden and I just started raising rabbits. If I could find a way to make my own electricity (and dog food, and booze) I'd be fairly self sufficient.

By that I mean make it in the quantities I'd want to be comfortable, not just subsusting.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd quite like some seafood now, actually. Baked, maybe, with a little herb salad. I recently discovered an Armenian restaurant where they serve a slad of just fresh herbs and walnuts. Surprisingly tasty.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's been a while since I ate a horse, maybe I should try to get some. I've been missing the taste for a while now.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have a fair sized garden and I just started raising rabbits. If I could find a way to make my own electricity (and dog food, and booze) I'd be fairly self sufficient.

By that I mean make it in the quantities I'd want to be comfortable, not just subsusting.

That end part sounds suspiciously like you're talking about booze! :D

I had two DIY hotdogs, which is what I'd eat on a Sunday evening while watching vikings at panthers, anyway.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Spaghetti. You can make the sauce with or without meat. You can put in vegtables or not. You can vary the types of pasta you use. Overall, a pretty good staple. You can have a meal with the protein, carbs, and vegtables needed for a healthy diet. I can get oranges and lemons off the tree in the back yard to round it all out.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What about a little bit of gunpowder? I thought GD might try this recipe.

Take two fine bullocks' tongues; wash them well in spring water; dry them thoroughly with a cloth, and salt them with common salt, a quarter of a pound of saltpetre, a quarter of a pound of treacle, and a quarter of a pound of gunpowder. Let them lie in this pickle for a month; turn and rub them every day; then take them out and dry them with a cloth; rub a little gunpowder over them, and hang them up for a month, when they will be fit to eat, previously soaking a few hours as customary.

From The Old Foodie.

-Elwood Blues

Spaghetti. You can make the sauce with or without meat. You can put in vegtables or not. You can vary the types of pasta you use. Overall, a pretty good staple. You can have a meal with the protein, carbs, and vegtables needed for a healthy diet. I can get oranges and lemons off the tree in the back yard to round it all out.

I was nodding in agreement until I came upon the last sentence, when I turned green with envy.

I was nodding in agreement until I came upon the last sentence, when I turned green with envy.

I was more wondering how he gets oranges and lemons off of the same tree.

Maybe the pick method returns Citrus type objects ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You goofs, I have a lemon tree and an orange tree in my backyard. Damned typos. I eat a lot of lemons to balance out my sweet personality. My blood is pure lemonade.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hey, that's not a bad idea, Shady. I've been to one of the estates around here where they've done that and it's weird to see grapefruit on an orange tree and the like. Alas, I just have two trees. :Cant's pathetic gardner icon:

Obsidian Plays

Maybe the pick method returns Citrus type objects ?

:sorcerer::sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues

I'm pretty pedestrian.

Pizza, loaded with meats, shrooms, olives, and jalepenos. Or anything you want. Can be vegie, can be half and half, whatever. Like the spaghetti, only I don't have to cook the sauce all day.

Altho, a local store here has the most awesome slow-cooked BBQ beef ribs (I like beef ribs over pork ribs :lol: ) and cornbread.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Geez, making the pizza dough is far worse than making the spaghetti sauce. :Cant's tongue in cheek smile icon:

...But I do like homemade pizza quite a bit, especially with Jalapenos. I use Jalapenos in cooking quite a bit. I even made chicken cacciatore once with Jalapenos in a red sauce. I used a nice local blended red grape wine. Wonderful stuff.

Obsidian Plays

• 2 weeks later...
Geez, making the pizza dough is far worse than making the spaghetti sauce. :Cant's tongue in cheek smile icon:

...But I do like homemade pizza quite a bit, especially with Jalapenos. I use Jalapenos in cooking quite a bit. I even made chicken cacciatore once with Jalapenos in a red sauce. I used a nice local blended red grape wine. Wonderful stuff.

Who said anything about making the dough? I either order the pizza or if I want to make pizza thingies at home I'll use sourdough bread slices. Quick & easy & tastes good. :)

But since ordering out doesn't fit the topic, if I understand right, I'll add this:

1 whole chicken, pre-cut up (or all legs, or all breasts, whatever you want)

1 can of stewed/sliced tomatoes (I use an "Italian spiced" version of them) - do not drain

1 small can of sliced japeno's (milder or hotter ones, you pick), drained

garlic/salt to taste

Put the chicken in a 13x9 pan. Mix up the other stuff in a bowl, dump it over the chicken. Loosely cover in foil. Bake in 375F oven for at least an hour, or up to 90 minutes (take the foil off during last 10 minutes or so).

chicken-01.jpg

That's about as "recipe" as I get...and even that came from just winging it with stuff that was in the cupboard, combined with the memory of my mother doing something similar with red snapper. All that liquid piles up in the pan & the chicken comes out mildly flavored & juicy. And chicken is still cheap if you're not buying the pre-boned, pre-skinned convenience packs. Rice & broccoli on the side.

Mostly tho, I'll just go with a big cross rib beef roast because I can toss it in the oven for 6-8 hours & not have to think about it until it's done. Not the cheapest I know but eh...still loads cheaper than eating out a lot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I might have overloaded on some potassium last night.

About 5 bananas diced, then built a layer in the base of a pyrex bowl, scattered sultanas across, coated in brown sugar, sprinkled cinnamon, splashed some rum , a bit of cream across... then repeated building layers like that until all the banana was used up.

Then in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Week two of post-dissertation diet or "lifestyle change", as you will. Already feeling superior to people buying frozen pizza, in spite of probably weighing twice as much as they do (well, not at the same height, but, yeah). So, am about to eat a 1/2 sub from Subway, something from the lighter end, probably grilled chicken today. Still too much carbs, but getting there...

Edited by Nepenthe

How about a toast sandwich?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15752918

-Elwood Blues

cheap food? is many inexpensive options that is tasting good, BUT you gotta be careful if you is also wanting to stay healthy. cheapest chicken parts is legs and thighs... avoid boneless and skinless options and you can gets drumsticks and thighs for extreme cheap. pollo asado is a good option although it does require some citrus to makes complete. chop up a tomato, a bunch o' cilantro, onion and serve in tortillas. if you wann splurge, add a smidge o' cheese. most roasting and soup/boil options for chicken will be cheap. 'course legs and thighs is dark meat and less healthy than breast meat.

pork shoulder and butt roasts can be providing enough meat to feed a small army. apples is cheap at the moment as it is fall, so you can easy find braising recipes that include apples and pork resulting in a very cheap and delicious meal... but pork is fatty.

red meats is typical more expensive than chicken and pork, but the tougher cuts can be relative inexpensive. is not hard to find chuck roast on sale for costs equal to boneless chicken breast meat. is few things as tasty as a well-crafted pot roast... use cross-rib/shoulder cut and you can either braise (pot roast) or dry roast for roast beef that is Christmas Diner worthy. 'course, the tougher cuts o' red meat is hardly lean. meatloaf is only cheap if you is using loads o' stuff that ain't actual meat. two keys for meatloaf: 1) grate your onion as it will makes the loaf more moist, 2) cook on a broiling pan to allow grease to drip away-- hand-form the loaf.

genuine cheap and healthy? go with lentil recipes. lentils gots almost all the proteins a person needs to stay healthy-- effective meat substitute. can makes lentil chili, soups and monk/monastery lentils. http://www.food.com/recipe/monastery-lentils-41384. use classic french proportions o' onion, celery and carrot 2:1:1 as well as 2qts homemade chicken stock (cheap) and a lb of green lentils for the start o' a very good soup... salt, pepper, and cumin to taste. unlike other "beans" lentils does not require an over-night soaking.

green and yellow peas works great for soups and dal. cheap, but some folks hate peas.

black beans, red beans and kidney beans is also a good cornerstone ingredient. a lb o' dry beans is cheap and may be used in any number o' filling and tasty dishes. red beans and rice typical includes sausage or some other kinda meat, but the meat is not necessary.

rice is dangerous if you is avoiding carbs in your diet, but is cheap. combine wild and brown rice for a healthy alternative to white rice... but wild rice is not as cheap (or as tasty) as white rice options. you can end up looking like a sumo wrestler by eating nothing but fish, green leafy veggies, and white rice, so beware.

is easy to eat cheap and tasty, but eat cheap, tasty, and healthy is a bit more difficult.

HA! Good Fun!

ps since austerity were mentioned, we will also note that in the unrelated "deserted island" scenario, we would wanna have a big bag o' lentils and booze. neither is gonna be immediate perishable, and booze is high carbs and lentils is high protein. can live for a good long time on nothing but booze and lentils.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)