What you did today

Tale

My son is teething, so he wakes up every hour or so and broadcasts his discomfort to the world. I'm really tired.

My dad used to rub bourbon on my gums when I was teething as a baby I heard. My mom was afraid it would make me a drunk. Oh.... wait...

:rolleyes: Serously I've heard that works.

I've heard it works too! We actually use this oraljel stuff that numbs the gums. I'm pretty sure it is the same effect, heck it probably has some alcohol in it. So far he's worse than his sister about it though, he just has trouble calming down once he gets mad. He rarely gets upset, but when he does, it's not fun.

Urf. Had something like 3 or 4 hours sleep with assorted wakings up through the early hours of the morning. It's kind of grim and overcaste, I've got one of those headaches sliding a spike in, kind of really wish I didn't have to get up when the alarm went this morning... and the puppy just spent five minutes honking a rubber chicken near my ear. So I've distracted him with a rawhide chew, that gives me some momentary peace while I juggle ideas around for a report addendum.

Hm, and i've got an opticians appointement later this afternoon. Have to remember that.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So an old friend of the family turned up to surprise visit us. Which highlighted the fact we don't get enough visitors, so the puppy goes nuts and won't shut up, which makes the spaniel get overexcited and she joins in. Maybe I should start asking people to turn up randomly just to get him used to strangers coming through the door and into the house.

When I manage to get them somewhat settled and away from the guest, I then find that at some point in the day the pup had dug a rather impressive hole in the middle of the lawn. ;)

Guest The Architect

Have had a good second semester this year with assessment results and will continue cramming in typical undergrad fashion for exams till next Monday when they start. Nice to still see some familiar folk on the forum.

Have had a good second semester this year with assessment results and will continue cramming in typical undergrad fashion for exams till next Monday when they start.

That's not limited to undergrads... ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Have had a good second semester this year with assessment results and will continue cramming in typical undergrad fashion for exams till next Monday when they start. Nice to still see some familiar folk on the forum.

I miss that, was fun to not see the sun for 3 weeks while in a poorly lit sepulchral cafeteria (what brilliant mind decided that 40 watt bulbs wotuld be hunky dory, I wonder). Mind you, they renovated the place so now it's much brighter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Up and grinding through objectives, but have developed a stammer when talking on the telephone. It's really very very strange. Suspended all calls, and am now doing some background reading.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Up and grinding through objectives, but have developed a stammer when talking on the telephone. It's really very very strange. Suspended all calls, and am now doing some background reading.

Have you talked to any stammerers lately. My brother used to infect me with sympathetic stammering whenever I talked to him on the phone. Try starting your sentence singing, yes, singing, and then return to a normal speech pattern. It has to do with how language is processed in the brain and can snap you out of it if you are not a 'real' stammerer.

You might want to do the singing in front of the mirror and the talking on the phone though.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I've been putting a lot of effort into my singing lately. I wonder if I've busted a fuse?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

it's been a very strange few days :ermm:

went to a party on the weekend, which was fun, but there were a couple of things about it that were very awkward.

i have a friend, and people are very adamant that she has a thing for me, and i found out that yes, she most definitely does. i'm generally a pretty affectionate person, and perhaps she mistook that for something a bit more than intended.

i told her she could crash at my place after the party, and she uh... made a very forward advance

still kinda confused about the situation, and probably going to have to have a talk to her about it next time i see her

as for last night, i got home to a massive ****storm

we've had someone staying with us while searching for a new place to live. one of our flatmates however is a super anxious person who evidently hasn't been dealing well with having him around, and has been trying to bottle up all her issues about it for a while. last night however it all came bursting out.

so now she's gone back to her parent's place to try and chill out and get her head together, her bf (who lives with us also) has been dragged off somewhere by his meddling father, and the rest of us don't really know what's going on

all things considered i'm kinda in a bit of a daze and don't know what to think

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

all things considered i'm kinda in a bit of a daze and don't know what to think

Think about a plank of wood. Works for me.

-Elwood Blues

I am currently very tired of fighting Bots and automated spam programmes :?

You have gotten a rather green complexion lately... :(

Doing a bit of reading.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It can be a little wearing. However, the thing which really boils my bacon is when they post total gibberish and some godforsaken link. It's noise in the signal, trash, waste. How many ergs of power and man-hours of effort are being wasted on this crap?

-Elwood Blues

Well work sucked, thought my project was done well, but was non functional due to a poor assumption. I guess Monday came late this week!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I get comment spam bots posting on galleries that I haven't touched in months. They drive me nuts... :(

...currently watching hubby trying to figure out how to turn some of his old spare pc parts into a computer that will hold/work with my old gtx-275 so he can play games on the big TV again this winter. He's so cute.

Also...I love my

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sorry Guard Dog, no :? I am hoping all is well. If I have not had an update by early next week, I will likely reach out to him.

Fio, any word from Tarna?

Sorry about going 'dark' for so long. I got sprung from the hospital a couple of weeks ago. Returned to work the next Monday to find that the work computers had a similar filter as did the hospital. Since I wasn't overly interested in working on the computer ( chemo, IV antibiotics and such ), I only just fixed my internet connection at my house ( bad router ).

Anyway, my return trip to the hospital was after almost a week having returned to work under limited duty. On the fifth day ( Friday ), I couldn't stand up lond enough to properly complete my morning shower. Had to squat down every few minutes so as to not pass out from low blood pressure. The wife was off that day and I didn't want her to find me face down/ass up in the bathtub :thumbsup: . After all the poking and prodding I've had done, most of my dignity has been stripped away but I still don't want to be found dead in my tub :wink: . Wife took my to my oncologist ( didn't know where else to start and I wasn't very coherent at this point ). Dehydration, fever and a very high white cell count ( infection ) was the immediate findings. They immediately admitted me into a nearby hospital. A scan showed a absess/fistula containing about a litre worth of slop that I didn't really want getting into my system. Apparently I was a day or so from becoming septic. Had the absess popped, that probably would have been it for the kid. IV antibiotics round the clock for nearly two weeks. Oh...I almost forgot the best part. I am only semi-coherent while the surgeon is telling me that they need to open me up again and fiddle around with the leaking intestine that was causing the absess in the first place. At this point my morale is rock bottom. They compromised by stabbing me in the left flank with ice picks and installing a couple of fairly uncomfortable drain lines that drain into a small round bulb. Neat huh? :ermm:

At home now and working limited duty part time at work and may have the drain lines removed sometime soon. That will also DC the daily intravenous antibiotics that I have to hook up to the central/PICC line in my upper arm that pipes over to my heart. Then I get to take a real shower instead of bathing out of a sink. Chemo is going well. At least in that I'm not loosing my hair or and other noticeable side effents. A couple of months of this and I'll get another cat scan to compare to the old one to see if the remaining cancer in my liver and intestine had reduced. Chemo is a pill called Sutent BTW.

Checked with my pension people to learn the if I die before I'm 55, my wife will only get a settlement check as a death benefit. However, if I hang on and continue working for 5.25 years, she gets my full monthly pension check. She also has a life insurance policy from her work that will pay her $50,000 as soon as I assume room temperature. Between all that and the house insurance paying of the house, she might be doing pretty well as a widow. I've been teasing her that I'm finally going to be that good provider that she alway wanted. o:)

Anyway...that's it for now. Thanks for the thoughts and concerns. I'll touch base again soon.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Checked with my pension people to learn the if I die before I'm 55, my wife will only get a settlement check as a death benefit. However, if I hang on and continue working for 5.25 years, she gets my full monthly pension check.

There you go, you've got your work cut out for you. Ass down and heads up in the tub :thumbsup:

Seriously though, good to see you around again, kicking life in the face and all :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Keep up your health, tarna. Don't give in, man.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Tarna, I don't know how reassuring this is, but:

I know how physically undignified you must feel. But morally and intellectually, on here, you're shining brass.

-Elwood Blues

This is one of those mornings I'm really getting annoyed with my sister.

More and more she's running late to get into work, which means she's just grabbing time to feed the dogs and stopped taking them out for morning walks or even just a quick run around the garden. Which means the alsatian is even more hyper, so I can't get a morning cup of tea without having to deal with him. I've lost an hour or so so far with various things with him. It's not fair to the puppy to ignore him or shut him up just so i can get on with work an assorted chores, especially if she's not walking him as much.

Trying to find that balance of keeping him occupied/un-bored/somewhat tired while still managing to get moments for myself to work and relax..

Another dull day. Rather wish we had the 11th off like banks and government workers do, 3 day weekend would be nice. But this is seriously opposed because if it were a holiday, children and people would have fun rather than solemnly remember veterans and the dead. So instead the kids attend some dull ceremony or talk to a WW2 vet maybe and everyone else works and deals with a transit stoppage at 11 am. Stupid Ontario.