SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

Honestly? I'm willing to bet that most of the players of MMO's have at least one character at the cap. I think you'd the minority (or abberation).

70% of World of Warcraft player never make it to level 10. Only a minority of players ever make it to end-game, but those are the players who are most likely to spend years with your game.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Honestly? I'm willing to bet that most of the players of MMO's have at least one character at the cap. I think you'd the minority (or abberation).

70% of World of Warcraft player never make it to level 10. Only a minority of players ever make it to end-game, but those are the players who are most likely to spend years with your game.

To reach level 10 takes few hours. This means that person don't play the game at all but keep account open, is a mule character or extremely low level alt, is a trial based character or character is made only for reserving certain name (that might be later used or not). I had bit under 20 characters in different servers (including normal PvE, RP and PvP) and only 8 of those were above lvl 10.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

80% of all statistics on the internet are made up on the spot. Edited by trulez

Hm, I spent about 2 years playing CoH off and on ..When I stepped away from it, I had one character at level cap of 50 (my first character and he'd been there awhile), an alt (villain) at 42, about 3 characters in the 20-30 range.. and two in the 8-14 area.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

80% of all statistics on the internet are made up on the spot.

I found this page, which only shows people in selected guilds - there's about 300.000+ characters and as far as I can tell, the spread is pretty even (level wise).

Fortune favors the bald.

I found this page, which only shows people in selected guilds - there's about 300.000+ characters and as far as I can tell, the spread is pretty even (level wise).
Major difference of course being those are CHARACTERS while the claim was that only 70% of PLAYERS reach max level. There are many times more characters in WoW servers than there are players, I used to have 7 of which only 1 was at max level because I found the leveling process to be so god damn boring.

There really is no relevant data to be gained by studying the number of characters that reach max level, well at best it could indicate your leveling process is too long. But it would be really significant to find out the actual number of players who don't reach max level. Blizzard of course has that data available, the public does not.

Edited by trulez

Are you certain it's players and not characters ? Hard to picture only 30% of the population being above level 10 of all things, but could happen.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Two things,

One, that is actually a mod that requires user support (basically in game you hit a button and it uses in game tools to figure out everyone that is currently visible and playing).

Two

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/charsheet/40301918

Wow... they have me from 06! and have the flaw of being unable to easily tell when it's the same character just with cosmetic changes.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Wow, I was "first seen" at level nine on 14 Feb 05! Man, I need a new game badly.

So, I herd like two really cool guys have preordered the Old Republic. You should totally do so too. Then we could like never play together since you are in US and I'm in EU servers.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Wow, I was "first seen" at level nine on 14 Feb 05! Man, I need a new game badly.

So, I herd like two really cool guys have preordered the Old Republic. You should totally do so too. Then we could like never play together since you are in US and I'm in EU servers.

I plan on buying it and also thought it would be really cool to play with you guys. Too bad about the server/time zone issues though.

I've got the CE pre-ordered. I gave in to that inner-geek pressure.

With my odd shift of time to play, I'm not sure whether I'll link to the EU servers on ireland, or see what the lag is like for the US servers...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I should probably pre-order, tempted to take that week off work (as I have holidays to burn). CE does seem pretty pricey though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That reminds me, I need to go and check my gamestop for a beta invite... I pre-ordered it there.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

To reach level 10 takes few hours. This means that person don't play the game at all but keep account open, is a mule character or extremely low level alt, is a trial based character or character is made only for reserving certain name (that might be later used or not). I had bit under 20 characters in different servers (including normal PvE, RP and PvP) and only 8 of those were above lvl 10.

If you, as a player, have several toon, some of which are over 10 and some of which are under 10, then you have a toon over 10. 70% of players never get that far. Yes, there might be a few people who play multiple accounts but not enough to account for so large a number.

Translation: I don't know how to ask for a source or google things myself, so I'll just be an internet smartass.

70% of WoW players drop out.

70% of new WoW players don't get past level 10

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Ok, I don't like to ask links in non-serious boards but I argue if that 70% is correct, it's characters, not accounts. If it's accounts, Blizzard is making even more money then I expected.

With quick search, I only found - World Of Warcraft: 70% Of Trial Players Give Up Before Level Ten. Trial players, meaning those who don't have actual active account or bought the full game. Including, but not limited to spam mules, gold sale mules...

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Translation: I don't know how to ask for a source or google things myself, so I'll just be an internet smartass.

70% of WoW players drop out.

70% of new WoW players don't get past level 10

And you fail to read your sources before spouting inaccurate generalizations on the internet.

Emphasis mine:

Our research shows that trial players who play World Of Warcraft past level 10 are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time. Currently, only about 30% of our trial players make it past this threshold.

Those are not paying customers, they have not subscribed to the initial 30 days unlike paying customers who bought the boxed game. The trial accounts are notorious for their abuse among gold sellers, trial accounts are used extensively to spam gold selling services and no where in that article does it say they trimmed those numbers out. There is no limit to the number of trial accounts one person can have, and the spammers have them by the zounds, all under level 10.

If your local grocery offers free samples of the latest snack and 30% of the customers who tasted the sample bought the product that would be considered a success.

Still, there's no harm in trying to improve that number, and that's what Mike Morhaime was saying.

Edited by trulez