SW: The Old Republic

Hurlshort

With TOR getting pretty close to release, I figured a dedicated thread was a good idea, as the random news thread is fairly random. I'm guessing the NDA will be lifted by the end of November at the latest, so that will free up anyone who beta tested it. For now we can stick to speculation. I would ask people not to whine about MMO's in general and the fact this isn't KotOR 3, but then this thread would probably be empty, so feel free.

There was some discussion about how KotOR 2 was going to be handled lore-wise in TOR, and some folks thought it wouldn't get much play. I have seen a fair amount of news to contradict that. There was also some complaints about the third TOR book that is coming out by Drew K (something or other.) The book is about Revan and there were some complaints that the Exile is retconned. Here is the author's response to that:

Wow. A lot of people jumping to (somewhat misinformed) conclusions without actually reading the book. I guess I shouldn't be shocked - it happened with the first and third Bane novels, too. Must be human nature.

I'm not going to post a long, elaborate defense of what I did and why - too many spoilers. But I will say I don't feel I trampled on the KOTOR2 continuity in any way. I put in a lot of time and effort to make sure I was respectful and accurate to the source material. The Exile is a very complex and nuanced character, and there are multiple theories offered in the game to explain what she is and what she does... and some of these theories actually contradict each other. I believe this was intentional, as the KOTOR2 writing team wanted to preserve a sense of mystery about her. (The ongoing debate in this thread about the Exile clearly illustrates they succeeded.)

I was very careful not to put anything in my novel that would directly contradict any of the offered theories, partly to preserve KOTOR2's original intent, and partly because those elements were central to the KOTOR2 story, but not to the story of the Revan novel. I also believe the Exile comes across as a very strong and capable character, and I would caution people about taking small excerpts out of context, because they don't tell the whole story.

Anyway, I'd urge people to read the novel with an open mind before they condemn me. Or at least read the latest post on my website to get my side of the story: http://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?p=302#more-302

Interesting stuff. I don't get too crazy over lore, but hopefully that soothes some of the folks that do. At least until the book is actually released.

Another thing they're keeping is the idea that the Exile's companions helped rebuild the Jedi Order. It's mentioned on the Miraluka page that Visas Marr did so.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The companion idea is interesting, aside from the romances or whatever the hell it is. So far description from friends in beta has been it's very WoW-like but quite polished, the space combat is awful but the storyline is quite enjoyable for a MMORPG. Any of you people going to play this ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Though he shouldn't have bothered. Hopefully, ehe suckers a couple of more tools inbto buying his book. I look forward to the overly dramatic woes are me crying posts from the 'betrayed'. Always good for the laugh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've already ordered the Collector's Edition and a digital copy for my wife. I just ordered the CE edition last week, it took me awhile to decide if it was worth it. I've been fairly non-attentive to the progress of this game up until about a month ago, but the more I read and watch the more excited I am about it. The CE edition is a big splurge, but my wife said she's count it as my Christmas present.

I knew I'd play it, I was just surprised how great it looks at this point. It had the holy trinity of stuff that I love:

1. It's an MMO

2. It's from Bioware

3. It's Star Wars

Two of those makes me happy, but all three mean it's a day one purchase.

As for the WoW comparisons, I guess that would be a problem if a person hated WoW. I enjoyed WoW for a couple years, so I don't consider it a bad thing that they are borrowing elements from the most successful game in the market. It looks to me like the storytelling will be well above WoW though. Companion characters are intriguing, and having a neat ship as home base is awesome too.

1. It's an MMO

2. It's from Bioware

3. It's Star Wars

Two of those makes me happy, but all three mean it's a day one purchase.

am having almost 0 interest 'cause two of the three factors you mention is negatives in our estimation.

as for star wars dogma... *groan* am recalling how more than a couple o' nerdnatics railed at chrisA 'cause the kotor2 basilisk war droid was all wrong compared to previous star wars canon incarnations. am pretty sure that anybody other than lucas who works 'pon star wars books or games needs sign a contract signed in blood. soul as collateral. eternal damnation. etc.

kotor2 were/is, in our estimation, obsidian's bestest release by some considerable margin. nevertheless, forcing future developers and authors to stay true to kotor2 canon seems silly and stoopid. am recognizing that lucas is serious'bout maintaining the integrity o' star wars canon (HA!) but Gromnir personally finds such efforts to be laughable and a little sad.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Nice to see you're picky, heh. If I get this, going to get it in a box. 30 Gig download and my ISP's quota, nuh uh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not worried about retconning the Exile, I'm worried about retconning Kreia. The KotOR2 plot summary that they briefly had on their website in the early days seemed to dumb down her motivations in KotOR2 to "evil villain trying to destroy the force," which is an insult to the incredibly nuanced writing that went into her character (personally, I don't think she ever intended to destroy the force at all - she makes it quite clear at the end that all her actions were intended as a sort of "final test" for the Exile).

In other news, I was accepted to the SW:TOR beta, but as I only signed up as a joke and don't have access to my desktop, I'm not even going to bother trying to play it. I gave up all hope in this really early on.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

In other news, I was accepted to the SW:TOR beta, but as I only signed up as a joke and don't have access to my desktop, I'm not even going to bother trying to play it. I gave up all hope in this really early on.

Ow, there's like a million people trying to get into beta too. Feel free to PM me your login info :rolleyes:

I would have been interested in trying it, but since it doesn't have proper space combat, I'm fine with Star Trek Online which will be F2P before ST:TOR comes out.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm gonna be a Sith >.>

<.<

You and everyone else. But you'll be unique among them, with that particular combination of chin depth and eyebrow distance that the character generator provides.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I found myself pulled into pre-ordering the CE edition as well Hurlshot... Although I haven't sat down for an mmo since I took a break from City of Heroes a year or two back.

The stuff that I've seen makes the story elements look quite interesting, just how well that'll merge with the mmo is something that just has to be tested.

The fact that you can now edit the appearance of companions (so people won't have to run into other folks with the exact same companions) is nice, but I'm curious how they'll actually stage that, since running into companions is integral to each class storyline..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm not worried about retconning the Exile, I'm worried about retconning Kreia. The KotOR2 plot summary that they briefly had on their website in the early days seemed to dumb down her motivations in KotOR2 to "evil villain trying to destroy the force," which is an insult to the incredibly nuanced writing that went into her character (personally, I don't think she ever intended to destroy the force at all - she makes it quite clear at the end that all her actions were intended as a sort of "final test" for the Exile).

a one-dimensional evil villain interp for kreia would be sad, but your personal retconning o' kreia reveals why this drew fellow gots 0 chance to appease fans.

btw, any bets on how long it takes for some schnook to create a darth evil/evyl/e'vl character? yet another reason we wouldn't touch this nonsense with hurlshot's computer much less our own.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pre-ordered the CE the day it was announced. I'm expecting alot from this game and can't wait to play it. :)

You will be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I'll give it a go as a bunch of friend/acquaintances are going to as well, although they're all PST..hmm.

Edited by Malcador

I'm gonna be a Sith >.>

<.<

You and everyone else. But you'll be unique among them, with that particular combination of chin depth and eyebrow distance that the character generator provides.

I'd play trooper, if I was going to play this.