Tim Cain joins Obsidian Entertainment!

PoetAndMadman

Someone should disconnect your internetz.

yeah maybe i should. because i might actually progress way beyond the point of regress. i would have a job at one these major companies. meeting the very men you have admired for years. i will laugh day in and day out. i could be motivated by the fact and pure lulzls of my creativity being a part of the next Fallout. sit and complain like you always do. i have a great future.

i will never be my best, but i will always get better. i will win.

redacted

i will never be my best, but i will always get better.

Your ****ty art disapproves.

You are downgrading yourself to be a M*r*n. If it takes that much to get over the fact I do know the fundamentals like the masters, then you are anti-science. Out of principle this will be our last engagement.

In other news:

Does anyone know if someone with prestige like Tim Cain can leave projects to join others? If bethesda offers a chunk of Fallout 4 for Obsidian to help with, can Tim Cain join in regardless of the project he is already working on at Obsidian?

Edited by Prosper

redacted

Congrats to him on the new job.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Whee!

Arcanum 2 would be awesome, though that would *shudder* require working with Kotick's people.

Hmm, wonder what they will do. Perhaps Bethesda agreed to let them do Fallout 4?

Edited by deuxhero
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

Kotick would be happy to give away the Arcanum license for free, except the moment someone asks him for it, he'll realize he can charge for it.

This news made me incredibly happy.

Just a couple of days ago, I was thinking how depressing it was to see most figures of the gaming industry whose works I really enjoy working on things I had absolutely no interest.

A few of the examples that came to mind were Tim Cain working on a MMORPG (call me old fashioned, but I just don't see why all the fuzz with this sub-genre, to a point where a proper, single-player RPG, is a rare occurrence nowadays; for me, nothing beats a well crafted single-player game, especially a RPG), Tom Hall working on social games for facebook, Warren Spector at Disney (I liked Epic Mickey and all, but he is capable of so much more), Richard Garriott wanting to make games for facebook and browsers with a social component, Chris Roberts working on god-knows what, and so on.

Troika Games was my favorite gaming company, and I place all their games at the very top of my list of preferences. In fact, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is easily my favorite RPG of all-time.

Amidst the mediocrity that currently comes out of most major developers/publishers, Obsidian Entertainment is one of the few companies whose works I follow, since so far I found all their games to be worth my time (and I own them all), something rare these days, since I struggle to be interested in most of the things that get released.

So, I'm happy to see Tim working again on, hopefully, a proper SP game, and to have him on a company that is probably the closest thing around to those sadly defunct developers I used to follow (Troika Games, Origin Systems, Looking Glass Studios, Black Isle Studios, ...).

Welcome, Tim! :p

So, Tim co-founded Carbine but left and now is a programmer peon for some other company again. I don't follow that logic.

Founders of (succesful) companies usually don't leave and work for someone else. Unless Tim saw the writings on the wall and knew WildStar would kill Carbine.

I thought Carbine was a NCSoft studio from the very beginning?

So, Tim co-founded Carbine but left and now is a programmer peon for some other company again. I don't follow that logic.

Founders of (succesful) companies usually don't leave and work for someone else. Unless Tim saw the writings on the wall and knew WildStar would kill Carbine.

I thought Carbine was a NCSoft studio from the very beginning?

Yep. Morgoths wrong. Cain had nothing to do with the founding of Carbine.

He should be put in charge of any future Fallout games that Obsidian will get to work on.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

He should be put in charge of any future Fallout games that Obsidian will get to work on.

Somebody enlighten the heathens amongst us (i.e. me), but what was his role in the original Fallout game? Level design? Art direction? Dialogue/Writing? Setting/Background? Just curious.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Somebody enlighten the heathens amongst us (i.e. me), but what was his role in the original Fallout game? Level design? Art direction? Dialogue/Writing? Setting/Background? Just curious.

As far as I know. He came up with Fallout originally (Also why he is said to be the creator of Fallout) and was Lead Programmer + Producer on it.

He was also the main guy behind TOEE (Project Director and Lead Designer).

Edited by C2B

As far as I know. He came up with Fallout originally (Also why he is said to be the creator of Fallout) and was Lead Programmer + Producer on it.

No, Tim, Jason A, Leonard, Chris, Jason T., and Scott came up with the original idea. According to the Fallout Manual, Page A-4.

Edited by Jaesun

am thinking that this is good news... just so long as tim ain't in charge o' making sure a game gets released on time or is bug-free. perhaps it would be a good idea to keeps tim from having to make production kinda choices or works on nuts-and-bolts implementation o' conceptual stuff. probably not want tim to handle any business decisions or relations with publishers neither.

can tim make coffee?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am thinking that this is good news... just so long as tim ain't in charge o' making sure a game gets released on time or is bug-free. perhaps it would be a good idea to keeps tim from having to make production kinda choices or works on nuts-and-bolts implementation o' conceptual stuff. probably not want tim to handle any business decisions or relations with publishers neither.

can tim make coffee?

HA! Good Fun!

I'd want it to have a hand in programing, core game design, and product packaging (designing the box). :lol:

(Input on the manual couldn't hurt either! :rolleyes: )

Edited by Gizmo

No, Tim, Jason A, Leonard, Chris, Jason T., and Scott came up with the original idea. According to the Fallout Manual, Page A-4.

ok. Like I said AFAIK. Thanks for correcting. :huh:

Edited by C2B

Yep like the others have already said. If anyone knows Fallout, Tim does. You don't remember seeing his name at the start of the original Fallouts?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

According to Tim, (in his last interview that I know of), he said that he approached Brian Fargo about it initially, and that he was working on it [the core engine & tools] for about the first year alone... He later brought others in on it, though at that point in time the Fallout setting (as we know it) had not yet been conceived. Somewhere I'm almost sure that I read that the whole retro 50's thing was simply because the artists thought it would be cool to draw. :huh:

The whole interview is pretty cool, here is a linked playlist of all three parts:

Edited by Gizmo