My New Laptop

Hurlshort

I ordered this a little bit ago. It looks like a pretty good deal for a laptop that can handle games and has a decent screen size. I was locked into Best Buy because of their great financing options, but I think I made a good choice. Anyone see any red flags?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Factory...p;skuId=3105157

The only one i noticed was this:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I ordered this a little bit ago. It looks like a pretty good deal for a laptop that can handle games and has a decent screen size. I was locked into Best Buy because of their great financing options, but I think I made a good choice. Anyone see any red flags?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Factory...p;skuId=3105157

No red flags. That's a really good computer. The only thing that could be a setback is the resolution of that huge screen. I couldn't find what it was, but I hope it's 1920x1080.. That GPU can handle it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I would hope the resolution is decent. It has an Nvidia GTX 460M GPU, so I would imagine so.

Gorth, I'm pretty sure that spiel is standard for most retailers about the software. I don't pay it much heed, I've got my own copy of Office to install on it when it arrives. Best Buy is a pretty solid store, I've always been happy with my purchases from them. I'm a bit concerned about 'refurbished' though, I've never gone that route with a computer.

Gorth, I'm pretty sure that spiel is standard for most retailers about the software.

Last pre-assembled computer I bought was my Amiga 40000 :)

So I don't normally read all the retailer advertising. I'll take your word for thats the normal MO ;)

The quality of the refurbishing depends on who does the refurbishing. I couldn't find anything specific about warranty, so it might be worth checking what they offer for refurbished computers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The display type doesn't say Full HD, which is a label I'd assume Best Buy would explicitly put on in case it was. I guess the resolution is probably 1600x900.

It says "High-definition widescreen LED-backlit"

I don't really know what that means, but isn't this stuff pretty standard nowadays?

There is HD and then there is Full HD. Apparently this laptop is only HD. Full HD means that the resolution is 1920x1080. Looking at ASUS' own page for the G73SW there seems to be three display models: 17.3" 16:9 HD+ (1600x900)/Full HD (1920x1080)/Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED backlight. I assume this laptop utilize HD+ and therefore have a max resolution of 1600x900, which follows the 16:9 format, but isn't Full HD.

If the laptop were using Full HD I'd assume that the line would be "Full High-Definition widescreen LED-backlit".

Lot's of assumptions there, I admit.

(Signatures: disabled) 

The display type doesn't say Full HD, which is a label I'd assume Best Buy would explicitly put on in case it was. I guess the resolution is probably 1600x900.

It says "High-definition widescreen LED-backlit"

I don't really know what that means, but isn't this stuff pretty standard nowadays?

No, HD is anything over 640x480 (well, over 480p), which gets mercilessly abused at some price brackets.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The actual HD video formats are 1280x720 and 1920x1080, the latter for blu ray, which is the one you want, but probably not found on most laptops. Since it doesn't list the resolution that's probably to hide that it isn't that. Like presenting pre installed trial software that they get paid to put there as value.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.