SEGA has the rights after all?

Sega's always had the trademark registration. The only real question was whether it was a System Shock type divided ownership situation or Sega owned the lot.

The tweet doesn't definitively clarify that, but Sega owning the lot has always been most likely as it's pretty much industry standard for the publisher to.

What's important about Alpha Protocol is the design not the trademark. Sega doesn't have the rights to branching narratives.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"The tweet doesn't definitively clarify that, but Sega owning the lot has always been most likely as it's pretty much industry standard for the publisher to. "

Wouldn't really call it a standard though. It depends on the company and contracts involved. BIO (EA) had and still has the rights to JE and ME despite MS being the publisher for those games. BIO didn't even have ther ownership of NWN yet manage to finaggle the rights away from IPY for Atari to step in. Other developer companies as well seem to own rights to their games.

This situation is 100% in the hands of the Obsidian negotiators.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If worst comes to worst, Obsidian could due a spiritual successor w/ an all new game-world, factions, characters, and whatnot.

I don't know if using the title "Beta Protocol" would be a good idea, though - since Sega owns Alpha Protocol rights and using thwe word Beta might make it sound like a direct sequel. :)

Then again, who'd want to buy something w/ the title "Beta" in a it? :x

Edited by MysterD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...