The Perfect Setting of Fallout 4

Cutlock

Some of you are screaming for Detroit. A lot for Chicago.

I do not want Detroit.

Chicago is a good location as it could tell us all the canon events of Fallout 3 and connect us into a bit more on Ralphie the Eyebot.

But this is why Philadelphia works:

* Location: Philadelphia is a huge city, its mentioned as being rubble. What could be lurking in it? A lot of dangerous stuff and stuff to shoot for sure. Lonesome Road proved why Old World items can be very important, so I think that like the Platinum Chip (It would have Been funny if the Courier threw it off Hoover Dam), the Liberty Bell might have something Enclave hidden inside of it. Plus, with the Creation Engine, everything will be so much detailed and you'll be able to visit areas from Fallout 3 like the Pitt, D.C and in DLC's you can visit Point Lookout and new areas.

* Story: Could involve the Liberty Bell as an Enclave object that they could use to get back to power and the Brotherhood of Steel trying to stop them. Since Philadelphia is close to New York (went to both of them this August, bout a nightly drive), there should be a high Institute activity there as well as Railroad activity and I guess that in the ensuing fight between the Brotherhood and Enclave, the Enclave will decide to aid the Institute in their fight against the Railroad and Brotherhood, because we all know they want the technology, the Railroad will probably help the Brotherhood because they think that they may free the androids, which could lead to the story of Fallout 5. Or maybe it could focus on the Philadelphia vault.

* Factions: Raiders from the Pitt (or their remnants), the Institute, the Railroad, the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Ste-e-e-el.

I feel that while the game could be centered around Philadelphia, I feel that only L.A could mimic the effect the city of New Vegas had on the game and Philly can not mimic that effect, so I feel that like Fallout 3

I kind of liked "The Pitt" (just guessing, the real world equivalent has a lot of steel industry?), but wouldn't Philadelphia be sort of unknown outside the US? While it is an American game, a large number of units is sold outside the US. Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York and Washington DC are world famous for various reasons. Philadelphia is something you spread on your bread :lol:

Gentle mocking aside, there probably are a lot of locations that could make for interesting Fallout games. Ever considered the other side of the conflict? A game set in Shanghai? Playing as Canadian Freedom fighters struggling against power armour clad invaders etc.?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

All that Enclave and Brotherhood crap again. If they would ever come up with something like that again, nobody can deny anymore how lame and uncreative the writers are.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

All that Enclave and Brotherhood crap again. If they would ever come up with something like that again, nobody can deny anymore how lame and uncreative the writers are.

Don't say things you know aren't true. :lol:

My preferred Fallot 4 would be Bethesda spreading locations out over a much much bigger map and give the player a car to explore with.. This way you could go to New Reno, the Boneyard or where-ever while exploring along the road (finding batteries or fuel for car on the way). After they build the world they then leave the story to Obsidian.

Fortune favors the bald.

I follow your reasoning, but I'm sick of the whole 'dead America' meme.

I want to see what the commies were up to, bamboo-side.

Surely the rotted dreams of the Great Leap Forward are just as juicy as Mom's Apple Pie.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Mr. Lexx

I ask that you reconsider who is virtuous. Because for us here at Obsidian, Fallout is different. It isn't a game of 16bit color. Or a needle in a haystack of russian propaganda. You need to ask yourself, with your heart, how much you have locked the community out. Lexx it is delusional to think we are just one 640x480 screen away from the fall of the Berlin wall. War is cold, yet I want the fans of Fallout to cherish the rainbow suspended outside of greyscale. No matter if a texture is for a brotherhood power armor or an enclave's supercharged weapon, we must not let it be tapered by ennui. Adjust your attitude, and if you are fervent enough, we may finally be free from the hyprocrisy that ruins modern Fallout IP.

e.g. leadiing rogue projects like fallout online 2238, that have no tangible content base to deserve beta status.

As a developer of content that wasn't just photoshop filters ran on Fallout 2 animation frames, I believe the writers of Fallout 3 and New Vegas are and will always be better than you admit.

redacted

I follow your reasoning, but I'm sick of the whole 'dead America' meme.

I want to see what the commies were up to, bamboo-side.

Surely the rotted dreams of the Great Leap Forward are just as juicy as Mom's Apple Pie.

When the setting for Fallout ceases to be one of the great American landmarks then the game ceases to be Fallout, it's really that simple.

Hey as video game writers, they're in the top ten.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hey as video game writers, they're in the top ten.

No.

Sorry even as far as video game writers go there are several better writers in some way than Bethesdas crew.

Edited by C2B

No.

Sorry even as far as video game writers go there are several better writers in some way than Bethesdas crew.

There are good video game writers? :)

You do realize that Bethesda's games feature massive sandboxes where no one cares about the writing? Its simply not their main concern, heck if you put together all of Bethesda's plots together they would have more holes than a Swiss cheese after a shootout. Besides games in general don't really need that good of plot, just a general excuse to point your virtual guns at someone.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Miami area, maybe ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I second new orleans, that idea sounds awesome.

otherwise, i'd love a return to southern california, but i'd want a prequel game, how about one that takes place 10-15 years before fallout 1?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

New Orleans as a post-apocalyptic Venice/pirate town.

Go wactch some post-Katrina videos on youtube :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Miami area, maybe ?

Well we already look bombed out and we could use the nuclear winter.

But the setting must have some remarkable landmarks, so despite a lot of people being against it I'm putting New York forward. They already did Point Lookout, so...

village_idiot.gif

But the setting must have some remarkable landmarks, so despite a lot of people being against it I'm putting New York forward. They already did Point Lookout, so...

A few of the landmarks might be different, but it would be too similar to Washington DC to feel "new". FO3 covered ruined metropolises, FO:NV covered desert/frontier style settings. We need more swamps in games, so the everglades would be interesting. Bring in the mutated alligators and lots of radiated water ;)

Any significant landmarks on Hawaii?

I personally, would prefer a game outside the (former) US.

If it had to be the US, Miami. It gets a decent part on American TV, so it should be known to international audiences.

Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

Hawaii

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

As long as Obsidian are making Fallout 4, then I choose Seattle. If not, then I don't really care.

If Obsidian would make Fallout 4, I totally wouldn't care about the location, as the game will most likely be good anyway. When it becomes to Bethesda Fallout 4, it must be somewhere on the east coast.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."