Obsidian is working on project for leading animation franchise

funcroc

Man, I wouldn't wish for Obsidian to go back on working on D&D stuff again. We have more than enough of that.

I wouldn't mind making a turn based 4th ed. game...

Yea, but truth is, in the end it probably would be real time with pause. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4th ed is a different story, I still don't know why everyone hates it (or do they still?).

I don't really know about others, but I do despise 4th ed., in particular I hate the new Forgotten Realms with a passion. The alignment system especially is entirely messed up, WotC has been like a retarded kid playing with his father's model railway. What really saddens me is that I really can't find any sensible reason for the changes and additions to the lore - they're just plain stupid.

Game mechanically, the new D&D looks a lot more like, say, WoW, and in several ways those changes are actually positive, but only from a strictly "munchkin" point of view.

Even if I don't prefer it, I can stand 4th ed. D&D. Regarding 4th ed. FR however, I feel I must make a personal appeal to anyone reading this not to buy anything associated with it. Never has such a classic setting been desecrated in such a way. It's worse than Star Wars ep. 1, X-Com: Enforcer, or any other cheap spinoff I can think of. To be honest, I think my inner nerd has never been so sad as when I heard of the new FR. What were they thinking? Were they drunk? Did they have 12 year old kids as writers? Did they have drunk 12-year-olds as writers?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I like 4E Forgotten Realms. What I don't particularly like is that it is necessarily Forgotten Realms. The new Neverwinter, Thay, and Athkatla, the introduction of Abeir, are all great places. But I don't think they needed to be Neverwinter, Thay, and Athkatla. It seems almost gratuitous to change the setting into a new setting with old names instead of just creating a new setting.

And the Spellplague was just crap. It could be nice as a setting itself. It ends up feeling tacked on at times. Like the setting has just become too busy. This city is now filled with refugees, this one has become destroyed, this one taken over by undead, and the political climate of these have shifted dramatically, oh and there was a near apocalypse recently, y'know, for flavor.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Game mechanically, the new D&D looks a lot more like, say, WoW, and in several ways those changes are actually positive, but only from a strictly "munchkin" point of view.
It blows my mind that people think 4th Ed. is more munchkin-oriented (or min-maxer) oriented than 3.5E/3E or 2nd Ed. In previous editions, I could get away with stat murder compared to what's possible in 4E (IME, of course).

http://twitter.com/#!/Matt_Hone/status...889088721166336

Matt Hone: That 'other project' besides SP is Wheel of Time, right? I just wish Bethesda would let you make Fallout and stick to ES

Martin Rudolf: I don't think he can answer that, but from information the community has its a original IP lead by JE Sawyer.

Chris Avellone: Wish we could say, not sure how much longer it will be.

http://twitter.com/#!/jesawyer/status/153226564199391232

writing dialogue with valhalla rising soundtrack on constant loop = grim dialogue.

4e is cookie cutter, but it's not munchkin compared to 3e and it's unrestrained miscible classes, combined with prestige classes, for some over-the-top combined abilities.

I'm sorta glad they brought back Dark Sun and that could potentially make for a really cool crpg.

writing dialogue with valhalla rising soundtrack on constant loop = grim dialogue.

Omg....Original IP + JE + him writing dialog while listening to Valhalla Rising music?

This, ladies and gents, will be teh best gaem evah!!!!11

But if this turns out to be that XBLA exclusive Fergie was talking about I'm gonna *censored* someone. Or everyone.

It blows my mind that people think 4th Ed. is more munchkin-oriented (or min-maxer) oriented than 3.5E/3E or 2nd Ed. In previous editions, I could get away with stat murder compared to what's possible in 4E (IME, of course).

"Munchkin" point of view meant in this case the perspective of one who sees the game as merely numbers. So what I meant to say when I wrote about changes positive from that point of view, was basically the same thing which appears to be your opinion as well.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/278723548967609750

Would it be possible for Obsidian's onyx engine to make something like an IE game? Would love to see a return of those type of RPGs with those glorious backgrounds.

Personally, I think the environment art in DS3 was spectacular in places. Especially when it comes to lighting and visual effects, the engine can do some great things. I don't see why Onyx couldn't support an IE-style (party-based with multi-select) game, though that's not what it's currently set up to do.

DS3, with point&click, party and a matching UI is essentially an IE game anyway, engine-wise. Any squad combat RPG using Onyx would be pretty great.

I wonder how well it would handle destructible environments in that case?

Yes, I miss games like X-Com and JA2 where you could just blow up buildings and walls if the doorways were guarded too well :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

At the very least, she moved to Obsidian from Atlanta.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 weeks later...

It seems last week Sawyer was visiting Square Enix Europe(?) Funcrocing from his twitter:

SE europe durrrr

I would love if the meaning of the sentence : "The direct result of both Vegas and DS3" was "a huge open world RPG running on Onyx and published by Squeenix."

Any ideas when can we expec some real news about North Carolina?