It's official, DS3 is way better than Diablo 3

With Diablo 3 beta I had the opportunity to finally experience it and:

-the animation of characters is way better in Dungeon Siege 3, especially for melee character, melee combat in Diablo 3 is extremely unsatisfying and basic compared to DS3

-graphics in DS3 is way better, D3 looks really outdated with practically no lighting effects, it really shows that it should have been released a long time ago.

-the only thing going for it is loot, voice acting, probably CGI and story

Any informed gamer would not choose Diablo 3 over Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or anything Dungeon Siege 3 related coming down the line later.

Unfortunately because of huge WoW/Battlenet base Diablo 3 will outsell anything just like inferior Starcraft 2 outsold superior Dawn of War 2 and Supreme Commander 2.

They seem to have tried too hard to make D3 "look" like D2. This restricted the lighting and any other spell effects that might have improved the game.

I agree that if D3 had been released at least 1 or 2 years ago it would have been more acceptable. Now it just looks out dated.

Guess I just wait for Skyrim and let D3 sit on the shelf until it becomes a bargain basement priced item.

-the animation of characters is way better in Dungeon Siege 3, especially for melee character, melee combat in Diablo 3 is extremely unsatisfying and basic compared to DS3

-graphics in DS3 is way better, D3 looks really outdated with practically no lighting effects, it really shows that it should have been released a long time ago.

I'm not sure those are the good criteria for a comparison between the two :( . Sure, those are basically the reasons why I dislike Diablo-like, but it's also the reasons why the fans like it. If you're a fan of Diablo 2, maybe you should compare the sequel to it?

I did not watch the beta movies from the internet but all I can say from the info Blizzard posted is that Diablo III has too much influence from Warcraft franchise. From skill names to the WoW inventory and all the mindless crafting, plus what's the big deal with that AH? Diablo series are not mmorpgs, AH was developed in order to reduce the lag in towns mainly. In all mmorpgs that don't have an AH you will be welcomed by a mass of shops in most towns. This creates lag, overall it's not good...but Diablo is something else not WoW. o.O the real money AH is very clever...lots of winnings for Blizzard and in my opinion is a game breaker. Despite all this you cannot compare Dungeon Siege III with Diablo III, there should be in the same category but when you play them their 100% different.

Btw, it looks like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning copied the combat system from Dungeon Siege 3 and then improved it and expanded everything else.

...nope? It's much slower, timing-based, and really, it's just a simplified RPG iteration of the already pretty simple God of War/Darksiders combat system (I'm still hoping from someone to borrow Devil May Cry's system if they really have to go action-y, but c'est la vie, I guess).

Any informed gamer would not choose Diablo 3 over Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or anything Dungeon Siege 3 related coming down the line later.

Unfortunately because of huge WoW/Battlenet base Diablo 3 will outsell anything just like inferior Starcraft 2 outsold superior Dawn of War 2 and Supreme Commander 2.

and yet you don't mention the most important factor... re-playability... DS3 wasn't the least bit memorable.. there was no reason to go back to it... and these forums prove that... they completely died less than a month after release... The Diablo 2 forums are more active than these forums... 11 years on...

and yet you don't mention the most important factor... re-playability... DS3 wasn't the least bit memorable.. there was no reason to go back to it... and these forums prove that... they completely died less than a month after release... The Diablo 2 forums are more active than these forums... 11 years on...

1. No, they didn't. (As you are well aware) Though, now there isn't much activity, true.

2. What does re-playability have all that much to do with memorability? We don't know as of yet how memorable DSIII will be to people. Alpha Protocols forums also died "soon" after release.

Other than that I don't agree 100% with the OP myself.

Edited by C2B

+1 Matt-C this is a major drawback of DS III...developers keep the flags high that this game is an Action-RPG/Dungeon Crawler but it's not. It lacks a lot of the basic mechanics to be that game. The gear/items are just a joke, it's just something to keep you busy after you are killing some monsters, no enchant/craft system ( new DLC comeing with some sort of enchant system...anyway) and something critical is that this game has no Newgame+ option or something like that. If you finish the game that's it...if you clear a area job done, no more monsters in most parts. So in order to kill more you need to start a new game, new character and yes change the story with the dialogue system. Diablo III will crush this game and even Diablo II does that...

Of course Diablo II forums are not dead, people still create new and unique builds after 11 years...now that is re-playability.

now that is re-playability.

That's all very good but when you play a melee character in Diablo 3 all you can think of is "why the hell am I not playing with Lucas now?" It is far more satisfying and visually appealing, Blizzard hasn't evolved in the slightest here.

Diablo 3 is just primitive, both in gameplay combat mechanic and in graphics and animation, there is no other word for it.

As for replayability I got 5 playthroughs with Dungeon Siege 3 which is pretty good since the game is so short and lacking in content(practically 3-4 areas with adjoining terrain).

Blizzard is primitive...all they did in the past years is World of Warcraft, they have no experience in Diablo universe. The ones that developed Diablo series where Blizzard North and sadly they are no more. So Blizzard got stuck with a bunch of people that all they did was developing for WoW and you can see that in the skill names, inventory, even "new" classes are either Warcraft universe inspired or revamped ones. But with all this drawbacks after you beat the final boss you receive a reward in items and if you want to kill it again you don't have to start the game from scratch ( New Game, New Character, No Items) all you get is a "cinematic". Again for an Action RPG/Dungeon Crawler it's pretty disappointing and let be fair even if you play the game again 70-80% of the gear will be the same because all Gold items are via shops and some very good Blue ones are via quest reward. In my first play-trough I kept all the Gold items because I like to collect loot in order to try new builds and stuff like this but I was very, very disappointed when I never got a Gold item via drop ( o.O yeah the Golden Needle pistol you find every time in the Foundry )...I was hoping to find an endless hack and slash action with tons of different items, not that junk that 99.9% of it you sell it and some cool enchant/crafting system. This is why DS III will be forgotten because you have no interest in playing it again...why would I do that? To make different minor choices that lead to different replies from the same NPC's and yes to earn Deeds...I like the idea but 2 Stamina and 5 Will is something you don't even care and even if you chose something different you will get a different Deed but because of the minor reward it's just something there. I will always take a game with epic narrated story rather then wasting my time with this stuff in an Action RPG....this kind of games are for leveling up, finding tons of different loot and tweak that character of yours until it becomes so powerful that you can 1 hit the final boss. Obsidian/SE could have made tons of money with this kind of game and it would have been so easy to keep it on the market even with Diablo III on the way.

When Diablo 3 finally hits the streets, I can finally die a happy person feeling contented and whole. I will finally have that itch scratched that started almost a decade ago for me. My mouth has been watering for Diablo 3 like when you think about eating that juicy steak.

Unfortunately DS3 doesn't even come close to filling one of the characters shoes in Diablo 3, not even one.

I wish it would have, as that might have scratched my itch a bit, but heck, I'd even say that Torchlight was a more enjoyable game to me than DS3 was, and I'm sure Torchlight II will also be a more enjoyable game than DS3 and maybe even D3 too.

Torchlight II will be something awesome. And the most important thing to remember is that Runic Studios does not have the same budget as Blizzard, but the people that are working there are mostly ex.Blizzard North, developers of Diablo series.

Dunno. I've been too busy playing to post on the forums. FWIW, this game has given me more replay value than DA2.

Edited by leeloodallas

Yep its official alright, that is to say I am officially calling bull**** on the very idea that DS3 is better than Diablo 3. Look, DS3 wasnt a bad game, I even played it all the way through despit the complete lack of connection between it and the 2 previous games. The problem with DS3 is it abandoned nearly every thing that made the dungeon siege franchise so enjoyable to begin with, and turned it into little more than an arcade romp. Granted the graphics were good, as well as the animations and etc. but you can't really say that DS3 is better than Diablo 3 because you are comparing a finished product to an unfinished product. Not to mention that Blizzard has never made a bad game. I'm sorry, I gotta call bull****. :lol:

Yep its official alright, that is to say I am officially calling bull**** on the very idea that DS3 is better than Diablo 3. Look, DS3 wasnt a bad game, I even played it all the way through despit the complete lack of connection between it and the 2 previous games. The problem with DS3 is it abandoned nearly every thing that made the dungeon siege franchise so enjoyable to begin with, and turned it into little more than an arcade romp. Granted the graphics were good, as well as the animations and etc. but you can't really say that DS3 is better than Diablo 3 because you are comparing a finished product to an unfinished product. Not to mention that Blizzard has never made a bad game. I'm sorry, I gotta call bull****. :shifty:

I didn't even play the first 2 DS games, so I'm not biased at all. With that said, it's hilarious to even compare this game to D3. This game's multiplayer is a complete joke, which disqualifies it automatically. It's like comparing any single player RPG to WOW, it just doesn't work, no matter how similar the fighting or whatever may be.