Why do some say Will > Attack?

Each point of Will gives more than 1 DPS to your abilities, based on the focus cost of the ability. The idea is that in order to use a special ability, you need to do X attacks that do *not* have will added into their damage, so Will's impact on abilities is increased to compensate. This is a little bit too in depth for our help screen, which was intended to just get you going. Of course truly hardcore players will figure out the detailed damage contributions of each stat :)

So you're saying that Ability DPS really has hidden compensating damage? No. If you have 30 Will, and you have 30 Attack, your abilities will be doing 60. There is no difference how you distribute your Will and Attack when it comes to abilities. This is why Attack > Will, not including talent multipliers. This is why I don't choose Will unless it's significantly higher than Attack, because all those times you're attacking using normal attacks, you're wasting damage (if you chose Attack over Will), so it damn well better be made up when that ability comes along. Saying that 10 will = 10 Attack is like saying that 1% greater crit damage is the same as 1% greater damage overall. Obviously 1% overall damage is way better than 1% overall crit damage. One is used all the time, one is used sometimes. Simple as that, Will is used only part of the time, Attack is used 100% of the time. There are plenty of people out there who say Will rules all, but they can't prove it, only say they built some awesome build and it does lots of damage. I'm trusting Obsidian, which could be a mistake, I dunno, but it's all we have.

So you're saying that Ability DPS really has hidden compensating damage? No. If you have 30 Will, and you have 30 Attack, your abilities will be doing 60. [...] I'm trusting Obsidian, which could be a mistake, I dunno, but it's all we have.

You do realize that Nathaniel is the Lead Designer for the game, right?

So you're saying that Ability DPS really has hidden compensating damage? No. If you have 30 Will, and you have 30 Attack, your abilities will be doing 60. [...] I'm trusting Obsidian, which could be a mistake, I dunno, but it's all we have.

You do realize that Nathaniel is the Lead Designer for the game, right?

Nope. So then it's confirmed that the definition of Ability DPS in the help topics is BS then? I just am going by what the game tells me, and I think it's stupid to go by anything else, unless it's extremely obvious otherwise, and not just "Hey look at my crits they're high and I have lots of Will." So because I'm not a "hardcore player who will figure it out", I've been adding too much Attack (instead of Will) for no reason? So does this mean that since Will is equal to Attack, since it compensates? See, I actually was doing just what he was saying in a way to calculate which is better. What I would do is say OK, it takes 3 normal attacks to build up Focus for this ability, so that means that 30 Will would be equal to 10 Attack in that circumstance (might be 40, I can't think right now, but something like that). So if that's done automatically, that means that Attack and Will are equal? Ugh, frustrating, fail on the help topics. I guess it is a single player game, and this technical stuff "doesn't matter", except to those who it does, because that's what they like to do in RPGs.

Edited by SilentBob420BMFJ