RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

The second page has a scan of the page with The Exile's death. It's handled so poorly and anticlimactically, one sentence and she's dead without even bothering to dwell on the death of such a major (albeit completely depowered and stripped of her defining traits) character. Stupid EA/Bio/Lucas Arts/Drew Karpyshynn.

A collaboration with Obsidian? (I don't understand the language, even though it's vaguely similar to Italian.)

It would be interesting if true, but I'm really very skeptical, especially in the light of the revelation that everything they did with Knights of the Old Republic 2 has been retconned by Drew Karpshyn, and that they'll use that for The Old Republic (who surely will be canon? I'm not sure how LucasArts works with this stuff).

A collaboration with Obsidian? (I don't understand the language, even though it's vaguely similar to Italian.)

That what is says (it's Portuguese btw).

The whole rumor makes little sense.

Not only would KOTOR 3 compete with TOR there seems to be no reason to collaborate with Obsidian on it.

Then you have the Exile, Meetra Surik. Bastila finds her and sends her after Revan. First thing you should know, is that Karpyshyn takes the game he did not write for and retcons everything interesting out of it. The Exile is a normal Jedi who was cut off from the Force and became a normal Jedi when she got it back. The Sith Lords are barely even mentioned aside from the fact that they hunted down the Jedi. Oh, Nihilus' power doesn't exist, in fact it can't exist. A big deal is made that the Emperor does the same thing and its something nobody has ever experienced before. The planet he stripped of the force to empower himself is very traumatic to Meetra, despite her in the game being the same thing. So, that part of the story of KOTOR 2 is retconned. Along with everything that came with it.

Anyway, she goes and finds this world and eventually ends up on the Imperial Capital. She finds Scourge, gets him to help her rescue Revan since he was told by him that a rescue would be coming and go and face the Emperor. Oh, Meetra is completely overwhelmed by Scourges master Sith through the use of Sith Lighting until Revan comes out and murderizes her to save the damsel. Anyway, they go face the Emperor where the three of them go face to face, until Scourge gets a vision of a different Jedi facing the Emperor. Figuring this must be the red skinned bastard's eventual killer, he stabs Meetra in the back with his lightsaber and the Emperor electrocutes Revan into submission. He locks Revan up in cryo to spend time plumbing his mind for information to help with his takeover of the Republic. Meetra's spirit refuses to join the Force and sticks with Revan to help him resist. Revan puts thoughts of caution into the Emperor's head, which is how he delays the coming invasion. The end.

What is this I don't even...

Jesus Christ :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Consider what they just did in TOR, I am calling BS on that one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Jesus Christ :)

Have I ranted about "too many cooks" yet for today?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Jesus Christ :o

Have I ranted about "too many cooks" yet for today?

:p this is where I use my personal style of "cannon" do decide what's right and wrong. Namely "If I don't like it, it's not canon".

LA Noire to PC

Maybe the port won't suck.

Also, did KJA write that TOR novel ? :)

Nope. Drew K-whatever. The main story guy at bioware who wrote the first Kotor and the ME series.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"LA/EA/BIO don't wanna have Obsidian in the picture. They want them to be non-existant. Like they never made the game."

I very much doubt the BIO docs are part of some anti Obsidian conspiracy - espciailly since they are major reasons why Obsidian got to do NWN2 and KOTOR2 in the first place. And, they do so, because of their close connection with FU. LMAO

Conspiracy theoriests are foolish people who are very ignorant of facts.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Seems that Game of Thrones: Genesis released. I need to find opinions on it!

I had no idea he wrote the Darth Bane novels.

What I've heard about them it makes sense that he did write them. Supposedly Bane gets the idea for the rule of two from Revan.

It would be interesting if true, but I'm really very skeptical, especially in the light of the revelation that everything they did with Knights of the Old Republic 2 has been retconned by Drew Karpshyn, and that they'll use that for The Old Republic (who surely will be canon? I'm not sure how LucasArts works with this stuff).

I'm sceptical too, unless they want to use Onyx. On the other hand LA is and has been such an absolute disaster for the last half decade with its volte faces on just about everything (we're doing internal development; no we have a new CEO and have fired everyone; nonono we're rehiring and have yet another CEO; we've just laid everyone off again etc etc) that just about anything is possible at this point.

As for the retconning I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how it will work, theoretically you are not supposed to retcon by outright contradiction in SW and everything is meant to be canon so long as it doesn't contradict George mandated stuff but this is at least the second time DrewK has done it, his first Bane novel liberally altered its Jedi vs Sith source material. It's a shame, they really go out of their way to make SW as bland and unchallenging an experience as possible to the extent of retconning pretty much every character with more than half a dimension.