RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

What do you mean with "lack of PC support"? GTA 4 was patched and runs flawless now.

Yeah but that patching took about 8 months, where a lot of gamers (myself included) couldn't play the game at all. I felt pretty annoyed that I had a machine better than recommended and the game still wouldn't run due to memory leaks.

Fortune favors the bald.

What do you mean with "lack of PC support"? GTA 4 was patched and runs flawless now.

Yeah but that patching took about 8 months, where a lot of gamers (myself included) couldn't play the game at all. I felt pretty annoyed that I had a machine better than recommended and the game still wouldn't run due to memory leaks.

I managed to play GTA 4 after the second patch 99% flawless, so it wasn't all that bad as many people often claim.

As for GTA 5: I think it's gonna take place in Washington DC. They better let us blow up the Federal Reserve! :)

I personally think GTA is the most overrated franchise of all time (yes, even more than CoD), and Vice City is the only one I've played of them that didn't feel like work.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

While I can understand not being a fan of GTA's style of play, I don't know how you can say they are overrated. They painstakingly recreate cities. Plus RDR and LA Noire have gone a step further by meticulously recreating a time period and atmosphere. Rockstar is an an ambitious studio that continues to push the limits of gaming. They are the exact opposite of the folks making CoD.

i appreciate GTA games, but the only one i genuinely loved was Vice City. 3, San Andreas, and 4 were all fun, and impressively made, but not my cup of tea.

Red Dead Redemption however, is a fantastic game in every sense of the word.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yep, they will be the first studio to literally work someone to death too >_<

I donno... they seem fairly good to their people. Team Bondi would have been that, but they've been shut down. Rockstar's business crew is able to sniff out very good projects to take over. And if they have a project that isn't performing well, they'll find ways to make it better.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Not a big fan of open world games in general, thought the gameplay itself had regressed in multiple ways from GTA VC and, well, I need at least some semblance of an interesting story to carry me - as I can play pool and drink beer with friends in real life, don't need a game to shove that down my throat.

OTOH, I quite liked LA Noire, which leads me to my original argument. GTA is overrated and hyped - probably not bad, but not deserving all the fawning wankery it gets. >_<

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

For me The best of the most recent games has been Ballad of Gay Tony. Mainly because it's still story driven, but it returned a lot of the fun to the entire thing, as compared to GTA IV's depressing story. (seriously, you play golf onto some guys body to get him to talk)

I'm hoping they've realized that people like the over the top level of action and such.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

GTA suffers from what I call the shotgun effect - Lots of stuff, badly implemented.

GTA offers the gamer LOADS of things to do, but each element on its own doesn't stand up, it is merely the quantity of implemented features opposed to the quality of each feature.

This is opposed to say Blizzard or Valve who take the approach of quality over quantity.

At the end of the day, I could never call out any feature of GTA - in terms of gameplay mechanics, which hasn't been executed to a far better level elsewhere.

In the end the package works purely due to the scope, which is massive, coupled with a cohesive gameworld.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I find GTA 4's driving physics to be the best among all car games I've played

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I find GTA 4's driving physics to be the best among all car games I've played

Same. Also I love the euphoria physics engine in general too. It's not unique to GTA games but it's still by far the best I've seen. Houser Brothers and Lazlow writing is some of the best in computer biz. Rockstar also creates open worlds like no others. They are simply the best I've experienced so far.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

GTA suffers from what I call the shotgun effect - Lots of stuff, badly implemented.

GTA offers the gamer LOADS of things to do, but each element on its own doesn't stand up, it is merely the quantity of implemented features opposed to the quality of each feature.

This is opposed to say Blizzard or Valve who take the approach of quality over quantity.

At the end of the day, I could never call out any feature of GTA - in terms of gameplay mechanics, which hasn't been executed to a far better level elsewhere.

In the end the package works purely due to the scope, which is massive, coupled with a cohesive gameworld.

Except that's kind of the draw of an open world/sandbox game: I do a little bit of this and a little bit of that and I just kind of do **** and have fun. No one is going to praise GTA IV for its tight mechanics, but the overall package can be extremely compelling, more than a simple cover shooter. Of course, I can see why from a designer point of view you'd look at it and go like "whaaa there's a lot of content but it's ****", but sometimes it's useful to just detach yourself and look at a game through the eyes of a gamer. And Rockstar games generally are fun.

Also, I wouldn't say that Valve had a quality over quantity approach with, e.g. Half Life 2, which featured a lot of half-baked/broken sections.

P.S.: I don't condone the way Rockstar puts games together by the way and I think their M.O. exemplifies the industry's problems in many many ways.