RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

he does have a point. I once tried looking for beat-em-up games for PS/PS2, that allowed 2 players to play through the game together, and it turned out not many games existed. Dynasty Warriors indeed plays like one, but in full 3D environment and with hordes of enemies. as for the "Citizen Kane of video games", I can't comment since I have no idea what he means

This was kinda more my thing. The stance that Dynasty Warriors is inherently bad, while things like streets of rage and double dragon were fantastic is annoying. The fact is that he's a (semi)popular critic of games who's actually a part of the industry and actually is saying that gives him a few points to me.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So I've never played Dynasty warriors - I've no intention of doing so either, especially more so now.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

http://kotaku.com/5850787/mojangs-next-gam...-called-scrolls

For now. Minecraft creator and Mojang boss Markus "Notch" Persson has just tweeted that they won the interim injunction so they can keep the name "Scrolls".

Zenimax/Bethesda can still appeal.

Warner Brothers cooking a couple new games

Warner will launch a new Lord of the Rings game in November and a Hobbit title in 2012 before Peter Jackson's movie "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" comes out that December. The game is one of the studio's top releases for next year, along with a Lego Batman sequel and a game featuring a superhero from Warner's DC Comics unit that Tremblay wouldn't name. The company also is targeting younger players with a second Lego Harry Potter in November and casual online games based on Warner characters being made at a new development studio in Montreal.

Hobbit RPG? DC Superhero RPG? All this speculation drives me crazy.

In the end, Obsidian is probably not involved in any of these anyways....

the hobbit does not seem particularly ripe for a video game adaptation imo. i just can't picture how that would turn out well

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

wasn't there a game already though? which people liked?

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Err, right. Still race is on, I guess :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Warner will launch a new Lord of the Rings game in November and a Hobbit title in 2012 before Peter Jackson's movie "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" comes out that December. The game is one of the studio's top releases for next year, along with a Lego Batman sequel and a game featuring a superhero from Warner's DC Comics unit that Tremblay wouldn't name. The company also is targeting younger players with a second Lego Harry Potter in November and casual online games based on Warner characters being made at a new development studio in Montreal.

While I agree that it isn't likely, 'superhero from Warner's DC Comics' would potentially fit with a number of 'leading animation franchise' s quite well.

wasn't there a game already though? which people liked?

Exactly :sorcerer:

I bought the c64 version, played it until I got stuck in the goblins caves and got killed in the dark all the time. In the end, I gave up and read that paperback book (which I still have on my bookshelf) that came in the game box. Turned out that I needed to find "Sting" first, stupid magical sword that glows in the dark when goblins are near. How was I supposed to know?!? Anyway, ended up completing 97% of the game (it kept score) and got hooked on adventure games for a long time after.

Edit to add: I think I've hated dwarves ever since that game, Thorin and his endless sitting down and singing about gold when we were about to die. Nevermind a kleptomaniac Gandalf that kept taking my map away from me.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Um, anyone remember the more recent

? I remember loving the gameboy version.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

While I agree that it isn't likely, 'superhero from Warner's DC Comics' would potentially fit with a number of 'leading animation franchise' s quite well.

It would fit it perfectly. If you look at success WB has had with Batman: Arkham Asylum and the upcoming Arkham City, it really wouldn't surprise me that they wanted to launch somewhat similar title with some other superhero of theirs.

But while it would fit the clues, it's more than likely WB has one of their own internal teams working on such project.

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

Turned out that I needed to find "Sting" first, stupid magical sword that glows in the dark when goblins are near. How was I supposed to know?!? Anyway, ended up completing 97% of the game (it kept score) and got hooked on adventure games for a long time after.

That's what happened in the book?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Turned out that I needed to find "Sting" first, stupid magical sword that glows in the dark when goblins are near. How was I supposed to know?!? Anyway, ended up completing 97% of the game (it kept score) and got hooked on adventure games for a long time after.

That's what happened in the book?

Yup. Turned out that I needed to distract some trolls (that I had ignored at first and bypassed) and wait for the sun to rise, turning them to stone or some such (also a good hint from reading the book). After that, their cave was mine for looting, including the sword, which enables you to survive for considerably longer than without a light source in goblin filled caves. One of the traits of "Sting" is, that it glows when orcs and goblins are near. I think it even did that when Frodo had it in the LoTR movies.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Remember the huge failure of Final Fantasy XIV Online? Yeah...

In a rather bold move, it looks like Square-Enish is completely revamping quite a lot of it: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

Don't know if it will end up being succesful or not but it's good to see them apparently making some rather big changes to it all and owning up to their mistakes.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

im pretty sure SE forgot how to make games when the ps2 was released, and they've since tried to compensate by throwing mountains of money into projects with the words "Final Fantasy" on them in hopes of making more mountains of money.

i anticipate a collapse sometime soon. hopefully followed by an actual final fantasy game worthy of the name, once again saving the company from the brink of closure.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

im pretty sure SE forgot how to make games when the ps2 was released, and they've since tried to compensate by throwing mountains of money into projects with the words "Final Fantasy" on them in hopes of making more mountains of money.

i anticipate a collapse sometime soon. hopefully followed by an actual final fantasy game worthy of the name, once again saving the company from the brink of closure.

Well, a bunch of guys from Montreal just did a fairly excellent game for them, so it could be worse.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It didn't sell well though.

It would fit it perfectly. If you look at success WB has had with Batman: Arkham Asylum and the upcoming Arkham City, it really wouldn't surprise me that they wanted to launch somewhat similar title with some other superhero of theirs.

But while it would fit the clues, it's more than likely WB has one of their own internal teams working on such project.

I tend to agree on the likelihood, but they have worked with independents before iirc- I'm pretty sure they only bought out Rocksteady after BatmanAA's release.

deus ex HR didn't sell well? that really surprises me, i thought it was a big hit?

There are some publicly available NPD figures for DXHR, 244K for August, 180K+ (as Resistance 3 sold 180K and was one place below it; grabbed both figures off the QT3 NPD thread) for September. Even if it sold significantly more than R3's 180K that's still not much more than one million worldwide. For What It's Worth (not much, r00fles) VGChartz has it at ~1.4 million

SE has also released the shipped figure.

Should really clarify that that isn't tanking by any stretch, but I'd imagine it would be well below their expectations.

Edited by Zoraptor