RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

CoM_Solaufein

Snip

It is and it is not true for both games and films. There are less games with permanence than movies, indeed a game has a half life of a few years before it goes through all the retailing and finally becomes irrelevant. Still I say that there are a few exceptions to the rule, games that get re-released in new formats.

As for movies; I still love Blade Runner (tears in the rain moment is one of my top 10 scenes) I can still watch Aliens and appreciate the cinematography and the effects. These are films very dependent on special effects.

Some games seem to get it, that the characters, plot, storytelling they're all supplemental to the gameplay. Tetris has been a very strong game, and Shadow of the Colossus managed to become memorable without anyone knowing the main's character name. All those comparison between the two mediums (film and games) are fair but there is something that has to be taken into account when it comes to games: they're an active medium. The argument of the "immersiveness" of games has been discussed plenty, and while games are immersive that is not guarantee of an emotional impact.

Consider that the games regarded as having the most emotional moments are some of the most linear; with a few exceptions. So whilst in a film you can manipulate the plot to achieve the desired feeling, in games you manipulate the plot to fit the gameplay. Wanna do a shooter? alien invasion! and that's the depths of emotion you're gonna get.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

While BG1 is probably (still) Bioware's most important game, it's IMO always (including when I was first playing it) always suffered from what I can only really describe as a lack of gameplay polish. Something they IMO really aced with BG2. So, while I have a colossal respect for BG1 as an achievement, I can't bring myself to play it, and have, in fact, only beaten the game about three times. If I had to say how good the different Bio fantasy games are, it'd be something like this BG2>DA2>BG1=DAO.

This is something I can agree with, but I'd put the NWN series between BG2 and DA2.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

While BG1 is probably (still) Bioware's most important game, it's IMO always (including when I was first playing it) always suffered from what I can only really describe as a lack of gameplay polish. Something they IMO really aced with BG2. So, while I have a colossal respect for BG1 as an achievement, I can't bring myself to play it, and have, in fact, only beaten the game about three times. If I had to say how good the different Bio fantasy games are, it'd be something like this BG2>DA2>BG1=DAO.

This is something I can agree with, but I'd put the NWN series between BG2 and DA2.

I leave it off the list, partially because I keep forgetting it, partially because I could never get it to run properly on the rig I had back in the day. Didn't like the uncontrollable NPCs, either, so based on my personal experiences is at the bottom of the pile.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hitman Absolution Interview

"The choices weren't clear before, and that was a challenge. And sometimes the controls were also a challenge. So we emphasised streamlining some of the controls in order to have the controls not be a challenge, but what's happening in the game, the obstructions in the game, the challenges in the game be a challenge. It's very clear to you what choices you have, then it's up to you what approach you take for that challenge and how you solve it."

Eurogamer: What's your take on the multiplayer issue with Hitman? Is it something that simply doesn't fit the game?

Hakan Abrak: First of all, I want to say we do have something very, very interesting coming up in Hitman: Absolution on the online side. We're not ready to talk about it right now. Hitman is an assassin who works alone, but you never know in what form or in what way we could give you an online experience. It's unfortunately not something I can talk about right now, but I can say, in the story part, Agent 47 definitely works alone.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Skeptical. RARE already did a mature title under Microsoft. It was a toned down version of a game they made for Nintendo.

But that was before Gears of War sold like hotcakes.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Snip

It is and it is not true for both games and films. There are less games with permanence than movies, indeed a game has a half life of a few years before it goes through all the retailing and finally becomes irrelevant. Still I say that there are a few exceptions to the rule, games that get re-released in new formats.

As for movies; I still love Blade Runner (tears in the rain moment is one of my top 10 scenes) I can still watch Aliens and appreciate the cinematography and the effects. These are films very dependent on special effects.

Some games seem to get it, that the characters, plot, storytelling they're all supplemental to the gameplay. Tetris has been a very strong game, and Shadow of the Colossus managed to become memorable without anyone knowing the main's character name. All those comparison between the two mediums (film and games) are fair but there is something that has to be taken into account when it comes to games: they're an active medium. The argument of the "immersiveness" of games has been discussed plenty, and while games are immersive that is not guarantee of an emotional impact.

Consider that the games regarded as having the most emotional moments are some of the most linear; with a few exceptions. So whilst in a film you can manipulate the plot to achieve the desired feeling, in games you manipulate the plot to fit the gameplay. Wanna do a shooter? alien invasion! and that's the depths of emotion you're gonna get.

I think one of the big things with Films vs Games is that 20 year old games are just flat out Hard to play for some people because the graphics look like garbage. I mean, in film you're always going to have an actor on the screen so it's pretty rough for somebody to look like they've been turned into a mish mash of polygons. But compare how goldeneye holds up to, say, Dr. No and see which one the kid will actually stick with.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Snip

I think one of the big things with Films vs Games is that 20 year old games are just flat out Hard to play for some people because the graphics look like garbage. I mean, in film you're always going to have an actor on the screen so it's pretty rough for somebody to look like they've been turned into a mish mash of polygons. But compare how goldeneye holds up to, say, Dr. No and see which one the kid will actually stick with.

I dunno, whip out some cgi-fest from 15 years ago and it's gonna look pretty damn terrible.

"I can't bring myself to play it, and have, in fact, only beaten the game about three times."

Does. not. compute.

You can't play the game.. but you beat it 3 times... L0L, Mr. Visceris, L0L!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hitman Absolution Interview

"The choices weren't clear before, and that was a challenge. And sometimes the controls were also a challenge. So we emphasised streamlining some of the controls in order to have the controls not be a challenge, but what's happening in the game, the obstructions in the game, the challenges in the game be a challenge. It's very clear to you what choices you have, then it's up to you what approach you take for that challenge and how you solve it."

Eurogamer: What's your take on the multiplayer issue with Hitman? Is it something that simply doesn't fit the game?

Hakan Abrak: First of all, I want to say we do have something very, very interesting coming up in Hitman: Absolution on the online side. We're not ready to talk about it right now. Hitman is an assassin who works alone, but you never know in what form or in what way we could give you an online experience. It's unfortunately not something I can talk about right now, but I can say, in the story part, Agent 47 definitely works alone.

That's just depressing....

I seem to find lots of gaming news these days to be sighworthy downers. Wonder why. :lol:

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

"If a modern gamer is playing BG1 & DA2 for the first time then they might enjoy DA2 more. If you judge them for their time, however, BG1 was a far superior game."

No. no, it wans't. DA2 pretty much does everything better. BG1 is only memeroabale to me because it was BIO's first game I played. But, tyoherqwise, DA2 is vastly sueprior to it. It's no contest. BG1 is not sueprior to DA2. That's HUGELY lauaghable. The argument can be amde for BG2 9and I'd actually agree) but BG1? Bah. BG1 is really overrated 9and I overrated too). B G1 doesn't stand the test of time.

I'll remember DA2 more fondly 20 years from now - more interetsing characters, better story, better combat, better C&C, better writing, better graphics, better music, better everything.

Maybe I'm just odd, but I think many would like BG1 better. It's NOT just graphics, it's the entire playstyle. I started Grandia, a game over a decade old and LOVED the game. When I wondered why, it was just the polish put on it that made it shine. Everything was basically perfect in interactions, story, and other areas that would be ignored in most RPGs these days.

There's more to games then pretty graphics and choosing your skills...and that's where many of the older games shine sometimes.

Now, onto more D3 news...

It looks like it has it's official rating.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=31460

I was under the impression they only rated the completed game...this things still in Beta isn't it? Or is there something we don't know?

PS: Maybe they saw enough to already know that it was M rated without having to see anymore?

Edited by greylord

"If a modern gamer is playing BG1 & DA2 for the first time then they might enjoy DA2 more. If you judge them for their time, however, BG1 was a far superior game."

No. no, it wans't. DA2 pretty much does everything better. BG1 is only memeroabale to me because it was BIO's first game I played. But, tyoherqwise, DA2 is vastly sueprior to it. It's no contest. BG1 is not sueprior to DA2. That's HUGELY lauaghable. The argument can be amde for BG2 9and I'd actually agree) but BG1? Bah. BG1 is really overrated 9and I overrated too). B G1 doesn't stand the test of time.

I'll remember DA2 more fondly 20 years from now - more interetsing characters, better story, better combat, better C&C, better writing, better graphics, better music, better everything.

How exactly is DA2 better than BG2 or 1? Could you elaborate a bit on one or more examples of this?

*I should mention that I saw the promo for DA2 and passed on it altogether; If I ever play that series it will start and end with DA1; but I am interested in your comparisons and opinion of both BG1&2 and DA2 and the reasoning.

Edited by Gizmo

"How exactly is DA2 better than BG2 or 1? Could you elaborate a bit on one or more examples of this?"

I expalined why DA2 is better than bg1. I don't need to elaborate. I never claimed that DA2 was better than BG2 9in fact I hinted at the opposite) so I don't need to defend a statement I didn't even make.

Seriously, anyone who claims that BG1 is a better game than DA2 is just seeing things properly or have poor taste.

"I can't bring myself to play it, and have, in fact, only beaten the game about three times."

Does. not. compute.

You can't play the game.. but you beat it 3 times... L0L, Mr. Visceris, L0L!

Ok, smartypants, let's insert an "again" there, and qualify it with the statement that this has been the situation for the past ~11 years, ie. after anything less rough came out. Which is a great source of sadness to me, since I remember how awesome it used to be. (****tard).

Re: DA2 being better than BG1, it's slicker and has less random death. On the - side, less tactical than bg1 at higher levels on normal difficulties (at least) and doesn't have Kevin Michael Richardson or Jim Cummings in a major role. ;)

Edited by Nepenthe

BG1 beats any post BG2 Bioware game in terms of exploration, atmosphere and aesthetics.

Never found the BG1 exploration to be particularly rewarding, mostly due to the steep power curve of the 2e AD&D rules that meant a level here of there could make a fight a walk in the park from being virtually unbeatable. And the areas liked to mix up encounter levels.

Can't really disagree on the latter two points, though I think that the visual design on ME2 and portions of ME1 is superb.

Edited by Nepenthe

"So... you admit it? "

L0LZ

"On the - side, less tactical than bg1 at higher levels on normal difficulties (at least)"

Nah. BG1 wasn't all thatbtatic. Tatics in BG1 = cheese ala wands of summoning vs savorke and the like..

"BG1 beats any post BG2 Bioware game in terms of exploration, atmosphere and aesthetics."

No, it doesn't. Not even close.

Exploration = mostly unrewarding and involvesd endless combat with ahrdly any real interatcions or discovery

Atmosphere = what atmosphere?

Aesthetics = exactly what do you mean here as it could mean anything depending on context? Graphics and art style, BG1 is a laugh. It's a gob of goo in comparison.

Edited by Volourn

"BG1 beats any post BG2 Bioware game in terms of exploration, atmosphere and aesthetics."

No, it doesn't. Not even close.

What RPGs do you mean? If BG2 is #1, then IMO BG1 is #2 by default. Nothing from Bioware that I have seen has been interesting since. I have seen nothing from them to match BG2, and were it an ultimatum I would choose BG1 over any other Bioware offering since [bG2].

Graphics and art style, BG1 is a laugh. It's a gob of goo in comparison.
I don't agree here; Like [blackIse's] Fallout, BG1 dealt in archetypes with its character graphics, and the illustrations for the rest of the game (UI/terrain & buildings) were fine (IMO). The game had a fixed a perspective (like looking down on a game table with miniatures).

*At 640x480, further detail would have made it a mess at that distance.

Edited by Gizmo

"What RPGs do you mean? If BG2 is #1, then IMO BG1 is #2 by default. Nothing from Bioware that I have seen has been interesting since. I have seen nothing from them to match BG2, and were it an ultimatum I would choose BG1 over any other Bioware offering since [bG2]."

Disagree. Engine aside, these two games are different in most neaingful ways. BG2 has better graphics, betterw riting, better characters, better combat, better music, better C7C, etc., etc.

The only thing BG1 has going for it is that it's the game that got BIO their big break. That's it. All of BIO's future RPG games, even ones like KOTOR which I personally don't prefer, are vastly better RPGs than BG1.

I don'tg et why BG1 is 'defualt #2) just because BG2 isa ssumed to be #1. Justb doesn't work that way. They are seperate games.

"What RPGs do you mean? If BG2 is #1, then IMO BG1 is #2 by default. Nothing from Bioware that I have seen has been interesting since. I have seen nothing from them to match BG2, and were it an ultimatum I would choose BG1 over any other Bioware offering since [bG2]."

Disagree. Engine aside, these two games are different in most neaingful ways. BG2 has better graphics, betterw riting, better characters, better combat, better music, better C7C, etc., etc.

The only thing BG1 has going for it is that it's the game that got BIO their big break. That's it. All of BIO's future RPG games, even ones like KOTOR which I personally don't prefer, are vastly better RPGs than BG1.

I don'tg et why BG1 is 'defualt #2) just because BG2 isa ssumed to be #1. Justb doesn't work that way. They are seperate games.

I don't understand what you are disagreeing with (first quote).

I also do not understand where the BG1 & 2 comparisons are coming from ~I never compared them in my post.

*As for BG1 being #2 by default... Its because I don't consider it as good as BG2; and I don't consider anything past BG2 as good. shrug-1.gif

(But... I have not seen enough of Dragon Age 1; I did see the developers diaries on DA2.)

Edited by Gizmo

Volourn's right, it doesn't work that way, and BG1 also lacks a lot of things BG2 has.

Separate from all that, BG1 is a fun game, it has loot, character building, combat and progression that makes it fun to play multiple times, and it has a nice charm in terms of setting, art direction, etc. With a couple of mods to bring it a bit up to date (BG2 UI, widescreen) it is still fun to play. That's why it is a good game. :)

Whereas there's no reason to play KOTOR again unless you really, really love the story, since its combat is a lot more Press A To Win than DA2.

BG1 may be a bit dated but it has a lot more going for it than nostalgia.

1) For my money - low level adventuring. I love this. When a pack of kobolds are real problem and you are not some Epic Level hero fighting dragons and beholders and Lords of Hell every step of they way, the world just felt more perilous. Admittedly this my preference, but for me the ow levels of BG1that gives it a huge boost.

2) Map exploration. A new map that could be explored or not. Even the bigger maps of BG2, DA etc are all pretty linear and you will eventually see all there is to see if you just do what you came there to do. In BG1 you could wander off the pre-ordained path and while you weren't always going to find anything worth seeing it was still loads of fun for me to reveal the maps and come across the dryad being attacked by lumberjacks or the arachaelogical expedition of the haunted ruins e.g. I miss this in games and no Bio game since BG1 has had anything like it. It really lent to the feeling that I was playing a PnP session.

3) I still Baldurs Gate is the best city Bio has ever done. Again my preference but it felt like there were little nooks and crannies to venture into (again off the main quest path or even the main sidequest path) that you just discovered.

Finally let me say there is nothing wrong with how BG1 looks. Hand crafted 2d backgrounds I think still look terrific (ok character models are ****e).