Companion isn't using the skills I put points in

I have Lucas as my companion, and I maxed out Blade Dash, and he doesn't even use it. It's actually his least used ability, and I have a total of 4 right now.I figured he'd use whatever I put points into, but his mastery in those abilities says otherwise. He seems to really like to use Shield Pummel, and based on how little I've had it, I'd say Wind Shear too. So should I start dumping points into what he uses, or will he get smarter and use what I want him to?

Edited by SilentBob420BMFJ

The AI is pretty bad...but when you get to the end-game ( having all skills ) they will start using the most "powerful" ones. Katarina for example likes to spam Call of Hunt + the hail of bullets, whatever the name is and she will knock-back on dual stance. Now I'm on my 2nd play trough and i chose to stick with Anjali and 99% of the time never uses Pillar of Fire/Spear. If the game would not allow you to have all the skills learned maybe you would be able to create some kind of build.

I have Lucas as my companion, and I maxed out Blade Dash, and he doesn't even use it. It's actually his least used ability, and I have a total of 4 right now.I figured he'd use whatever I put points into, but his mastery in those abilities says otherwise. He seems to really like to use Shield Pummel, and based on how little I've had it, I'd say Wind Shear too. So should I start dumping points into what he uses, or will he get smarter and use what I want him to?

Yes, Lucas really loves shield pummel and heroic strike (and so do I), but unfortunately he doesn

Edited by FireMist

See, I already maxed out Blade Dash, which is useless now. I also put 3 points in Live By The Sword; will he use Graceful Repose? (Do they heal naturally after a battle, or do they have to use healing?) He never seems to even get close to dying though, so maybe I wasted those points as well. But from what I read, I won't need many points, since they will all just go into Shield Pummel, Heroic Strike, and Wind Shear. He doesn't even use any of this 3rd tier abilities, right?

See, I already maxed out Blade Dash, which is useless now. I also put 3 points in Live By The Sword; will he use Graceful Repose? (Do they heal naturally after a battle, or do they have to use healing?) He never seems to even get close to dying though, so maybe I wasted those points as well. But from what I read, I won't need many points, since they will all just go into Shield Pummel, Heroic Strike, and Wind Shear. He doesn't even use any of this 3rd tier abilities, right?

Live by the Sword is quite useful later in the game when enemies attack in huge hordes, so he can keep himself healthy while fending the baddies for you. I also suggest you invest some points into Shield Wall because he uses it quite often before engaging the enemies.

As for his Master abilities...he seems to use just unbridled wrath.

If there were a DS IV, that is one of the first things which should be corrected: AI companions should use the spells/abilities you invest the most. For me, AI Lucas is OK (I usually go that way except that I master my blade dash)...but I got quite disappointed when AI Anjali didn

Edited by FireMist

AI companions do use healing, I

At first, I thought AI companions would choose different "favorite" abilities depending on who your main character is. But for Lucas, at least, this is not true. I stuck with him all the way when playing as Anjali, Katarina and Reinhart and his pattern was exacly the same. Does anyone know if AI behavior for the other 3 characters change according to your main character?