iD Tech 5 vs. Creation Engine vs. Gamebryo

Cutlock

Now, the Creation Engine was created from the code of the Gamebryo Engine, so that is the engine the developers would likely choose, but Fallout has shown familiarity to the Gamebryo and might be unjust to the Creation Engine because lets face it, plants do not go well with Fallout, dragons do not mix with geckos. So the Gamebryo might be better suited to Fallout because it already has all of the post-apocalyptic assets for it and it might take some time to convert those assets to the superiority of the Creation Engine, especially the weather and the dust-storms and all, this would be harder if it took place in Philadelphia, the obvious setting. This would take even more time if Bethesda is developing it, they likely have a skeleton crew converting the assets now and switching full-steam to Fallout 4 may be a bit difficult.

But then, if they do want to choose a superior engine, wouldn't iD Tech 5 be better suited, it looks better too. So what should they use, GameBryo for familiarity, Creation because its Bethesda, or iD Tech 5 because iD invented it and because its modern and better post-apocalyptic suited.

Unfortunately John Carmack said the Tech 5 engine wouldn't be able to support an Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3 type game.

"The megatexture direction [in id Tech 5] has some big wins, but it's also fairly restrictive on certain types of games'; [and] it would be a completely unacceptable engine to do Skyrim in, where you've got the whole world, walking across these huge areas."

Apparently the megatexture solution in ID Engine 5 (or whatever it is called) is better suited for games with distinct levels than open-world games. The megatextures are supposedly pretty big, even for relatively small sized maps..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-...21-22gb-install

Personally, I think it's a done deal they'll be using the Creation engine for Fallout 4. I don't think they were short-sighted enough to develop this engine for just one of their two huge franchises. Also, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were incredibly similar in everything except art style, and I imagine Skyrim and Fallout 4 will share equally much. For an amateur like me, it seems all Bethesda really has to do to go from Skyrim to Fallout 4, is change the art assets (sound and graphics), the GUI and some minor game features. It feels like basically the same game in different suits.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Is it known yet where Fallout 4 will take place?

In Fallout 3 that guy Zimmer from the Commonwealth is hanging around DC loooking for his android. I always took that as maybe a hint that Fallout 4 would take place there and maybe have something to do with android slavery or something.

But maybe that's looking too hard for something that isn't there.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ah, ok.

I just assumed that since we all know there is going to be a Fallout 4, some hints might have sneaked out of the Bethie offices.

Chicago would make sense as a kind of split-the-difference between east and west.

I would personally like to see a much lower-tech world with no power armor, energy weapons etc aexcept maybe as extremely isolated events.

But yeah, probably not going to happen.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.