Games, Reviews & Metrics

Fionavar

Still reading, so this isn't a reflection on the entire article, but:

One of the reasons why video game reviews carry so much weight with investors is because avid gamers tend to rely on them to help make purchasing decisions.

Case in point: Eric Choi, a 23-year-old Chicago resident who buys between 10 and 15 games a year. After having fond memories of playing the action shooter title

Another lovely in depth piece from the G&M. Could have been worse, could have been the Star :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still reading, so this isn't a reflection on the entire article, but:

One of the reasons why video game reviews carry so much weight with investors is because avid gamers tend to rely on them to help make purchasing decisions.

Case in point: Eric Choi, a 23-year-old Chicago resident who buys between 10 and 15 games a year. After having fond memories of playing the action shooter title

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

also, water is wet, and fire is hot!

Fire Baddd!

Anyways I guess I can use this as sort of a confirmation that companies are paying reviewers, at least it gives motive.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think people sometimes forget that there are different ways of being a "real gamer". There are the discerning (snobbish) audience that is enthusiastic about a subset of gaming, whether it be particular franchises, genres or brands. Then there are those who are avid consumers, considering themselves "cool" when they have play whatever is currently "hip" (I'm sure somebody can suggest a more contemporary word for what is currently fashionable, my slang vocabulary may be hopelessly outdated), which is what all their mates play. Preferably with as much gimmicks as possible that they can show off against their mates (achievements, online rankings, etc.). The latter group is where the money is.

From the link:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein