How should I be playing Anjali?

I just started this game, and am level 3. I did a lot of reading before I started playing, like I always do, so I'm not a newb for being only 2 hours into the game. With that said, how exactly am I supposed to be playing? Like give me some ideas. How do I not button mash basically.

So far, what I do is I walk around in fire form, and when I see a mob, I immediately start throwing fireballs. Then when they get close, which happens after only fireball combo, I switch to human form and start doing normal attacks. If it's multiple mobs, I will drop an immolation aura right before they get there, and then switch to human form and use a combination of the normal attack and spinning kick. I never block, and don't see how you have time for it. I find that after using my immolation aura, I run backwards, and the guys just run right through it, or never pass over it, either way not being damaged much, if it all. Then it repeats, but I'm out of mana.

I just want to know how to play correctly. I knew quite well what to do in World Of Warcraft, so this is embarrassing I can't quite figure this out. Unless this game is just hard as hell?

I just started this game, and am level 3. I did a lot of reading before I started playing, like I always do, so I'm not a newb for being only 2 hours into the game. With that said, how exactly am I supposed to be playing? Like give me some ideas. How do I not button mash basically.

So far, what I do is I walk around in fire form, and when I see a mob, I immediately start throwing fireballs. Then when they get close, which happens after only fireball combo, I switch to human form and start doing normal attacks. If it's multiple mobs, I will drop an immolation aura right before they get there, and then switch to human form and use a combination of the normal attack and spinning kick. I never block, and don't see how you have time for it. I find that after using my immolation aura, I run backwards, and the guys just run right through it, or never pass over it, either way not being damaged much, if it all. Then it repeats, but I'm out of mana.

I just want to know how to play correctly. I knew quite well what to do in World Of Warcraft, so this is embarrassing I can't quite figure this out. Unless this game is just hard as hell?

I think you are doing well. Once you get the Hurl Spear ability you can use it as well - very effective ranged attack against single strong enemies (read:bosses) when Anjali is in her Human form. As for Block, use it only when facing 1-2 enemies - if you

Dodging is *almost* always the way to go in terms of avoiding damage. However, there will are times when blocking can really save your butt if you're not a master of timing dodges (I am not personally). Most notably against certain enemies which have devastating ranged attacks

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

So then how do you block? I mean, do enemies not attack that frequently? And is it a pattern they attack in? For instance, in most games with block, what you do is block the enemies predictable pattern, and then attack. Is it the same here, or am I missing something with what block is for? I heard you gain your power spheres when you block or something?

I mainly only used block to get stance abilities. I think I only specifically used it for damage reduction in the mines, when people shoot at you as you are on the floating platforms.

You can expend power spheres when using defense stance abilties. That may be what you're referring to.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I mainly only used block to get stance abilities. I think I only specifically used it for damage reduction in the mines, when people shoot at you as you are on the floating platforms.

You can expend power spheres when using defense stance abilties. That may be what you're referring to.

No, I read that when you take damage when blocking, you gain "juice" for your power spheres I think.

Juice for power spheres is only gained by using special abilities I believe.

In fact, you lose Focus (or whatever the blue energy bar is called) if you get hit when you're blocking. If you don't have any focus, you don't block any damage.

Enemies do have attack patterns but like I said, most of the time you'll be better off dodging completely. I only use block when I encounter enemies where I find it very difficult to time my dodges, this is mostly enemies who use ranged attacks.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

You gain some of it back by taking damage, too. One of Lucas' passive powers has a proficiency that increases the amount gained when taking damage, which means that he often recovers two orbs when taking enough damage to die.

I'm level 3 and at the part in the very beginning where you have to kill some creature that isn't letting a guy fish. All these creatures come out of the water and start attacking you. What would you do with Anjali? Dodge and swipe with your staff? Lay down an immolation aura and just sit there holding block (because if you lay it and run, mobs don't stay in it very long I've found)? Or am I not supposed to be level 3 doing this? I'll probably beat it before somebody answers, but I've died multiple times, so clearly I'm not doing something right. I just want to know what to do when surrounded by enemies for a low level Anjali. I'm waiting for that "Oh that's what you do" moment.

I easily got past that part, and am getting the hang of it now, but the question is, am I doing it right? Just because I get past a part doesn't mean I am. So strategies are welcome. And I feel that since I'm talking about early in the game, that builds won't matter much. Again, this game is very odd to me in that it's not obvious how to play, like every other game. World Of Warcraft is much more complex than this game, and I had no problem, since you're introduced slowly, and in the beginning, it is nothing more than a button masher. That's usually how it goes, is it's a button masher at first regardless, but then as you get more skills etc., you have to use them in a certain order/situation.

I'm level 3 and at the part in the very beginning where you have to kill some creature that isn't letting a guy fish. All these creatures come out of the water and start attacking you. What would you do with Anjali? Dodge and swipe with your staff? Lay down an immolation aura and just sit there holding block (because if you lay it and run, mobs don't stay in it very long I've found)? Or am I not supposed to be level 3 doing this? I'll probably beat it before somebody answers, but I've died multiple times, so clearly I'm not doing something right. I just want to know what to do when surrounded by enemies for a low level Anjali. I'm waiting for that "Oh that's what you do" moment.

I think your level is a bit low for it. I also got my ***swiped by those creatures. I recommend you do the main quest and return there with a companion . (don't worry, you will not miss your new companion because it is linked to the main quest). By then you'll be level 4-6, and with a partner, this fight will be a piece of cake.

Edited by FireMist

In fact, you lose Focus (or whatever the blue energy bar is called) if you get hit when you're blocking. If you don't have any focus, you don't block any damage.

Enemies do have attack patterns but like I said, most of the time you'll be better off dodging completely. I only use block when I encounter enemies where I find it very difficult to time my dodges, this is mostly enemies who use ranged attacks.

I agree, block works best when the enemy has a predictable attack pattern. Also, when the mentioned enemy is slow and not accompanied by a horde of supporters with high attack speed, which happens frequently in mid- to late game. (Azunite Knights accompanied by Azunite Ninjas come to mind). So, when choosing gear, I almost always go for higher Armor instead of Block.

As for ranged enemies, there are just a few that are dangerous enough to choose blocking over dodging.