What you did today

Tale

Well at this point it's rather redundant, but condolences to Enoch.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reading your old posts ? How narcissistic! :p

Today I think I'll start looking for a new job.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As for spaces: Tale when I finished my firtst Graduate Thesis there was a very long, dry conversation not about content, but my choice to use on single space as per updated MLA standards. Old school Profs were not impressed :rolleyes:

Two spaces is still the rule in a some environments. I'm thinking specifically of court filings in many jurisdictions-- judges have a lot in common Old-school Professors.

To thoroughly change the subject, the personal issue I had mentioned a couple weeks ago in this space is resolved, and not in a particularly happy manner. By the time we got to the follow-up/second opinion last Monday, the little guy's heart had stopped beating. We had a good amount of warning that this was a likely outcome, and we take some solace in that unhappy resolution now is greatly preferable over an unhappy resolution 3 months from now. The associated medical stuff (induced labor, delivery, recovery from such) has also all gone well so far. But, of course, we're still sad about the whole thing. We've had a lot of family around, which has helped. And my admiration for Mrs. E has only increased with how well she has handled all of this (her immediate family too-- those folks rock).

So sorry to hear this Enoch. Prayers to you and Mrs. E.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A bit, but it's fun to see how your posting style changes..

- Rosbjerg

Funnily I don't think mine has changed. Used to be a lot more unfriendlier in the past, but the writing's remained constant.

Extensive mopping of the floor. Took quite a while.

Is it notable that the floor here is wooden, here since the construction of this building in the 19th century? :rolleyes:

Being in America that's very rare.

Twitter | @Insevin

Is it notable that the floor here is wooden, here since the construction of this building in the 19th century? :rolleyes:

I know 19th century houses in the US isnt' necessarily common, but I thought homes built from wooden materials was?

Just curious, being Scandinavian I couldn't imagine living in something that wasn't made out of stone.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know 19th century houses in the US isnt' necessarily common, but I thought homes built from wooden materials was?

Just curious, being Scandinavian I couldn't imagine living in something that wasn't made out of stone.

I thought you were an Aussie?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Most suburban American residences are built on a wooden frame. The framing is usually wooden joists, laid over with plywood sheeting (older homes, pre-1950ish, will have diagonal plank subflooring instead of plywood), and topped with whatever flooring material the owner wants (wooden planks, tile, wall-to-wall carpet, etc.). Actual hardwood plank flooring is prevalent in older homes, but is relatively expensive now. "Vintage" wood floors are often a selling point for older properties.

We have a house that was built in 1936. Brick exterior, with wooden interior framing, some steel girders in the basement, diagonal plank sub-flooring, hardwood floors, lath and plaster walls, and a slate roof (which is nearing the end of its useful life).

Is it notable that the floor here is wooden, here since the construction of this building in the 19th century? :p

I thought you were an Aussie?

I live in Australia (on my 6th year now). Before that I lived some years in New Zealand. I'm originally from Denmark though. Took a wrong turn when I was heading from Denmark looking for work in London. You know what they say about taking chances every now and then :lol:

Most suburban American residences are built on a wooden frame. The framing is usually wooden joists, laid over with plywood sheeting (older homes, pre-1950ish, will have diagonal plank subflooring instead of plywood), and topped with whatever flooring material the owner wants (wooden planks, tile, wall-to-wall carpet, etc.). Actual hardwood plank flooring is prevalent in older homes, but is relatively expensive now. "Vintage" wood floors are often a selling point for older properties.

We have a house that was built in 1936. Brick exterior, with wooden interior framing, some steel girders in the basement, diagonal plank sub-flooring, hardwood floors, lath and plaster walls, and a slate roof (which is nearing the end of its useful life).

I would get the shivers if I ever saw even the silhouette of a termite :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Am a bit sad to hear Dennis Ritche passed away this weekend, always liked C as a language (and he was a big part of UNIX).

Am a bit sad to hear Dennis Ritche passed away this weekend, always liked C as a language (and he was a big part of UNIX).

userdel -fr Dennis :rolleyes:

I still have a very old copy of kernighan and Richie's The C Programming Language.

My house has Pergo flooring over concrete substrate. Pergo is an artificial laminate that looks like wood but cost less, is less durable, not much less expensive, absorb liquids (like dog piss), and really should not be used by anyone. Next year I'm tearing it out and maybe going with cork or a real wood flooring.

@Gorth, you have definitely been around the block.

Thomas Sowell

Parents listed our old house today... looks different, empty.

Of course, it's been staged so.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Man, it is such a beautiful day!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.