Night of the Giant Crab

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14803840

Who'd be up for eating a few thousand of these bastards and saving the planet?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Good to hear it. I shall have to get onto my local fishmongers.

Problem is that I only know how to cook crab in curry. Advice?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eat crab in curry?

Failing that, experiment.

...And that was how I wound up in A&E...

-Elwood Blues

You're saying one just dips them in butter?

-Elwood Blues

I'm not a huge fan of crab (although I would probably dig it in curry) but my wife loves the stuff. If we go to a crab place, I usually get up and take the kids away for awhile so she can just enjoy cracking shells and removing the meat. It takes forever, and I don't think she is eating all that much for the work she does to get at it, but whatever makes her happy.

I'm not a huge fan of crab (although I would probably dig it in curry) but my wife loves the stuff. If we go to a crab place, I usually get up and take the kids away for awhile so she can just enjoy cracking shells and removing the meat. It takes forever, and I don't think she is eating all that much for the work she does to get at it, but whatever makes her happy.

Your wife is an amateur. Crack the legs with your hands, takes a second.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1) Bring a pot of water to a vigorous boil.

2) Drop crabs in.

3) When crabs turn red, they are done.

4) Melt a stick of butter for dipping sauce.

5) Crack shells and enjoy.

Just a word of warning... is going to take a large pot and lots of curry :thumbsup:

kingcrab1515616i.jpg

The crabs that Wals linked to (can get a "leg span" of up to 1.5 meters)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why do you get up and take the kids away? Do you guys just sorta wander the restaurant until shes done with dinner?

Kids can only sit for so long before they start going crazy. I usually take them outside and wander around. Most of the crab places we go are located on piers, so it's a good place to explore. We only get to do this once or twice a year, really. Crab is one of the few things we don't cook at home.

The crabs that Wals linked to (can get a "leg span" of up to 1.5 meters)

Yep, "King" crabs. Im kind of jealous, over there they are overbreeding and here they they run ~$26 / pound. >_<

So you're saying they taste good ?I assumed they would taste poor, because of the size.

-Elwood Blues

Are you messin with me Wals?

In the US, king crab is one of the best crabs you can eat, closely followed (IMO) with blue crab and stone crab. Obviously they dont bring the entire crab to your table. Nobody eats the body and the legs are broken down to about 18" lengths. Im really surprised its not popular overseas. What type of crab is offered in typical English restaurants?

Are you messin with me Wals?

In the US, king crab is one of the best crabs you can eat, closely followed (IMO) with blue crab and stone crab. Obviously they dont bring the entire crab to your table. Nobody eats the body and the legs are broken down to about 18" lengths. Im really surprised its not popular overseas. What type of crab is offered in typical English restaurants?

I'm not messing with you! :lol:

I thought crustaceans tasted bad as they got big. Spare space in the shells filling up with gunk and general old age. I guess it's different with crustacea that are naturally big.

Crab in the UK is pretty small. Maybe two hands' breadth across. Although personally I prefer crayfish.

-Elwood Blues

Blue crab is easily superior to king crab. King crab is tasty, but it's got absolutely nothing on blue crabs steamed with loads of old bay seasoning. Mmmm...

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Yes. I adore crab. And by that I mean I want to kill it and stick it in my belly.

Your wife is an amateur. Crack the legs with your hands, takes a second.

Depends on the type of crab, the time of year, and the crab's age.

So you're saying they taste good ?I assumed they would taste poor, because of the size.

I'd argue that freshly caught King crab is the best tasting crab available. This random article agrees, so you know I must be correct!

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.