The NHL Thread

Kor Qel Droma

And Marc Savard will probably not play again.. ever. Crosby out indefinitely..

I don't know, but something about this sport needs to change. I love the intensity, the speed, the physicality, but I think maybe a line has been crossed somewhere.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I don't know. It seems like the game has been moving away from the bruising style of the past, but is that making it more dangerous? Guys used to spend so much time tied up together that they didn't have the space to really skate.

The three enforcers who died seems like a separate issue. It seems like these guys aren't being given a decent support system.

All I know is that I hated when Boogaard played against Edmonton. I know Rick Rypien wasn't the biggest competitor in the league, but he played like he was. And Belak, well, I never really thought much of his on ice prowess, but man o man was he ever a funny interview.

I feel really bad for Belaks' wife and two small daughters.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think the state of the sport is alright. They've done a lot to crack down on blows to the head and what not, and it's a shame that guys like Savard and (possibly) Crosby face career ending concussions ... But it is a contact sport. I think a big part about the negative press that the NHL gets is because other than blows to the head and these guys who have suffered from depression, there isn't much to complain about. It's not like the MLB where everyone and their mother is testing positive for roids, or the NFL/NBA where the star players are raping girls and getting away with it. Just isn't enough drama in the NHL for the media to hype up so they focus on stuff like this. Shame about the 3 players that died though, reminds me of that young Rangers kid who died a few summers back.

Sweden lost Stefan Liv, a goalkeeper. Really funny guy, always hilarious in interviews. He was pretty good too, although he never reached NHL calibre goaltending. Very sad day.

• 3 weeks later...

" It's not like the MLB where everyone and their mother is testing positive for roids,"

Nothing serious wrong about roids other than potential abuse that comes with any drug - legal or illegal. They should legalize it and there'd be less abuse and more ways tod eal with the side aeffects. It surely doesn't make baseball players players better.

I'd rather have steroids legal than people claimig concussions are 'acceptable' part of hockey. That's disgusting.

"NFL/NBA where the star players are raping girls and getting away with it."

L0L 'Rape' I like the way you claim that like it's a matter of fact and proven beyond a shadow of the doubt. None of us know what actually went on except the participants.

"I just had a brief twinge of concern that Volourn hasn't been posting in awhile. Weird."

I don't need your fake concern spammed in the hockey thread. Let's talk hockey. Volourn is off topic in thisn thread. If you concerned about some punk you don't even know make a thread about it and leave the hockey thread about hcokey or at least sports related tangents. Thank you very much.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I just had a brief twinge of concern that Volourn hasn't been posting in awhile. Weird."

I don't need your fake concern spammed in the hockey thread. Let's talk hockey. Volourn is off topic in thisn thread. If you concerned about some punk you don't even know make a thread about it and leave the hockey thread about hcokey or at least sports related tangents. Thank you very much.

lmfao

Back on topic, it's good to see two Oilers forwards and a d-man are already on the injured list, or are carried over from last season.

And I'm liking the job Shanahan is doing so far. He's going to quit that job sooner rather than later, though, I bet.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Tortello is a piece of crap. Rangers would get anywhere with him in charge. They'll be like they've been - barely playoff material and that's largely because of their goalie. NY does NOT have 12 or 13 forwards better than Avery. That's nonsensical.

He's never liekd Avery and has belittled him and trashed every chance he got. Avery only had his sport because he's liked by Ranger fans and management. Plus, Rangers were a better team with him in the lineup and not out of it. Tortello makes the team worse.

Why isn't this loser gone already/ Blueshirts have gotten WORSE with him charge not BETTER.

Avery is known for trxhtalking but at leats he trahs talks the opponents not his own team. Piece ofc rpas Tortello.

Avery will probably be back next season with another team with a cheaper contract most likely.

Good riddance, I say. Not only the team, the entire league is better without that fool.

I looked at the roster for Toronto today. I don't even recognize half the names. I don't know if I've lost interest in the sport or what's happening, but ever since Sundin left I haven't been able to muster up any enthusiasm for my team. I hope it's just a phase.

Good riddance, I say. Not only the team, the entire league is better without that fool.

This. Also, for what it's worth VolokinzTM, Erik Christensen was the guy who claimed a spot over Avery apparently.

Oh, and Parise was named captain of the Devils. Good news is that almost definitely means he'll be signing a long term contract. Would have liked to see Elias get one more shot as captain but Parise is a great choice too, Kovy and Elias get the A's and Petr Sykora got a contract!

I think if Marty can have a slightly above average season (and by that I mean average for any goalie, not for Marty) we'll make a deep playoff run.

Edited by Krookie

Sykora has lost a step or three. It will be interesting to see how he pans out with the Devils. His time in Edmonton wasn't much to write home about.

And I don't think the Rangers' problems lie with the coach. Moreso the GM, I'd say. Wade Redden contract, anyone?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Sykora has lost a step or three. It will be interesting to see how he pans out with the Devils. His time in Edmonton wasn't much to write home about.

He looked solid in the pre-season. Had a pair of goals, skated well. I always forget that he's only (lol) 34. Which is old, but not ancient. I think he has a 20 goal season in him if he plays with one of Elias, Kovy, or Parise. We'll see though. I don't think he's in the opening night line up.

"Erik Christensen was the guy who claimed a spot over Avery apparently."

I like Christensen, but hes's not as good as Avery. Not to mention, the lineup is fuilled with nobodies outside of their 3 big stars - Lundqvist, Gaborik, and Richards.

The Gm is an issue. They both should be gone. Nicve of the Rangers to make the playoffs almost every season but what's the point if you cna't even get past the 2nd round? The players change but the results remain the same . Why same GM, and now the same coach for the past 2+ seasons.

Avery is awesome. Plain and simple.