The NHL Thread

Kor Qel Droma

I have no idea who I want to cheer for in the west. What little national pride I have tells me to root for the Canucks, but they play such a cheap, dirty game it makes it hard to root for them.

You could root for the Coyotes, knowing that there is a good chance it is the last time Phoenix will see the NHL for a generation. Unless you are one of those people who believe that Phoenix does not deserve any playoff success, for whatever nonsense reason.

Got my ticket book by USPS today. I am glad we get at least a couple more games. I am going to get to each one the moment the gates open and not leave until security kicks me out, talking with all the other season ticket holders in my section that I consider to be some of my best friends.

Edited by Arclam

Sykora has lost a step or three. It will be interesting to see how he pans out with the Devils. His time in Edmonton wasn't much to write home about.

He looked solid in the pre-season. Had a pair of goals, skated well. I always forget that he's only (lol) 34. Which is old, but not ancient. I think he has a 20 goal season in him if he plays with one of Elias, Kovy, or Parise. We'll see though. I don't think he's in the opening night line up.

And a 20 goal season it was! Sykora got his 20th last night, I celebrated. Hard. This was a guy who was cut from the Wild 3 years ago, played in Europe...Everyone thought his NHL career was over. Get's a tryout contract with the Devils, impresses enough to sign a $450,000, one year contract...Winds up playing his 1000th game and getting 20 for the year. Best comeback of the year in my opinion. Jagr was good too but everyone knew he could still play...Sykora had something to prove and he did it.

Edited by Krookie

. "Jagr was good too but everyone knew he could still play"

I disagree. NHL teams though Jagr was finished... 4 seasons ago. Rangers did not resign him because he wanted a 3 year contract and they felt he could not last long... that was 4 eyars ago. NHl teams thoguiht Jagr was dead. They were oproven wrong because NHL teams did not want the NHl ton be able brag about having the best hockey players in the world because a league with no jagr is a league that can't claim to be the best.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

. "Jagr was good too but everyone knew he could still play"

I disagree. NHL teams though Jagr was finished... 4 seasons ago. Rangers did not resign him because he wanted a 3 year contract and they felt he could not last long... that was 4 eyars ago. NHl teams thoguiht Jagr was dead. They were oproven wrong because NHL teams did not want the NHl ton be able brag about having the best hockey players in the world because a league with no jagr is a league that can't claim to be the best.

Put it this way, Jagr had teams looking for him to come back. He chose Philly. Sykora was lucky to scrape up a tryout. I just think Sykora had way more to prove than Jagr.

Also just realized Sykora actually has more goals than Jagr.

Edited by Krookie

Only because Jagr has won his art rosses, hart, stanley cups, and made his money. Plus, he is 1 million times the player Sykora is (Sykora is alright). But,t he bottom line is that NHL teams thoguht Jagr was no longer good enough to be in the NHl and that was 4 years ago. Jagr proved them wrong.

Only because Jagr has won his art rosses, hart, stanley cups, and made his money. Plus, he is 1 million times the player Sykora is (Sykora is alright). But,t he bottom line is that NHL teams thoguht Jagr was no longer good enough to be in the NHl and that was 4 years ago. Jagr proved them wrong.

No.

Jagr had a lot of offers from different NHL teams but went for the money. Tax-free money in KHL..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3473421

I'm not surprised he's doing so well in the NHL again. He was a point-per-game player in the KHL, and the KHL is more defensive than the NHL, believe it or not.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

No.

Jagr had a lot of offers from different NHL teams but went for the money. Tax-free money in KHL..

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3473421

I'm not surprised he's doing so well in the NHL again. He was a point-per-game player in the KHL, and the KHL is more defensive than the NHL, believe it or not.

Yeah, like I said...Jagr was destined to have a decent season (at least) this year. People knew he could still play. The final word is this:

Sykora was CUT from the last NHL team he played for before he left for Europe, Jagr left on his own accord.

I understand Jagr is a better player than Sykora, I just think as far as hockey storyline goes, The Comeback Kid award goes to Sykora for sure.

Kind of pissed that Buffalo is out and Washington is in. I'd have loved to see the Craps miss the playoffs.

No offence to Guard Dog, but I was hoping both the Caps and Sabres would get in and Florida would miss the post season altogether.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Kind of pissed that Buffalo is out and Washington is in. I'd have loved to see the Craps miss the playoffs.

No offence to Guard Dog, but I was hoping both the Caps and Sabres would get in and Florida would miss the post season altogether.

Out of curiosity, why? How can anyone hate the Panthers? They've been so bad their entire franchise history that it's like wishing someone down on his luck who finally found a job that he lose it right away.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Out of curiosity, why? How can anyone hate the Panthers? They've been so bad their entire franchise history that it's like wishing someone down on his luck who finally found a job that he lose it right away.

Panthers are just a boring team. I can't think of one player in their lineup that I would actually like to see win a Cup. Just one of those teams that has no redeeming qualities for me...I don't hate them, they're just so boring.

"No.

Jagr had a lot of offers from different NHL teams but went for the money. Tax-free money in KHL.."

Did you even read the article you linked? All 3 NHL teams that offered him a deal did so for one year He wanted a 3 year deal. (thopugh thata rticle is weird since it mentions him going home within 2 years) It had nothing to do with actual $ but term. none of them thoguht he could last playing hockey for 3 more years... that was 4 years ago. He's proven them all wrong. Plus 3 offers isn't 'a lot'.

"I just think as far as hockey storyline goes, The Comeback Kid award goes to Sykora for sure. "

Nah. To comeback you have to be something. Sykora is just an average NHler.

SUPER RANT: I REALLY HATE TORTURECHIUPS AND THERE'S A HUGE PART OF ME HOPING THE RANGERS BOMB IN THE PLAYOFFS THAN COME BACK AND TANK NEXTS EASON SO HE GITS ****CANNED! I DON'T THINK I CAN SURVIVE BEING A RNAGER FAN IF THEY GET LUCKY ENOUGH TO WIN A STANLEY CUP WITH THAT PIECE OF CRAP AS COACH!

P.S. the reason why it's easy to hate the Pantehrs is that they are a joke of a playoff team let alone division winner (potentially). they'bve lost way more games than they won. heck, DW or not, the Caps have won more games than them. What a frggin' joke when teams would prefer to finish in a spot that they''ll face Florida than any other team.

NEWSFALSH: If Rangers face Panthers it's an easy series win. they face Caps... oo <>

Edited by Volourn

"I just think as far as hockey storyline goes, The Comeback Kid award goes to Sykora for sure. "

Nah. To comeback you have to be something. Sykora is just an average NHler.

He has more goals than Jagr LOL. And has played all 82 games, unlike fragile Jagr.

Wher's art rosses? Where's his harts/ Where's his 100 point seasons? Where's his stanley cups where he was one of the main players? Where's his future HOF induction?

The gall you ahve to think that Sykora is on Jagr's level in any capacity is HILARIOUS. It's as HILARIOUS as stupid Ranger fanboys who think that Torturechips is the best coach in the league.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Wher's art rosses? Where's his harts/ Where's his 100 point seasons? Where's his stanley cups where he was one of the main players? Where's his future HOF induction?

The gall you ahve to think that Sykora is on Jagr's level in any capacity is HILARIOUS. It's as HILARIOUS as stupid Ranger fanboys who think that Torturechips is the best coach in the league.

HAHAHAHA!!!

You're being stupid, I'm not saying Sykora is a better player than Jagr. I'm saying he had a better season. Jagr can still dominate games (and is therefore perhaps a more valuable player) but Sykora scored more goals than Jagr. And Sykora has a Cup where he was a "main player" (although the fact that you used phrase just shows you know little to nothing about hockey), from Jersey in 2000.

Sykora wasn't a 'main'player on that jersey club. He was an also ran. That was Brodeur, Stevens and the defensive system that one the cup. I know more about hockey than any Devilm fan does that is for darn sure.

P.S. Sens are capable of an upset but don't count on it. Their goaltending is too suspect. But, then again, they've been surprising all season ( i figured they'd easily miss the playoffs) so who knows with them.

Sykora wasn't a 'main'player on that jersey club. He was an also ran. That was Brodeur, Stevens and the defensive system that one the cup. I know more about hockey than any Devilm fan does that is for darn sure

"more about hockey than any Devil fan"? what does that even mean? I've actually PLAYED the game for 18 years (some of which was played under some of the best coaches in the North East). Besides, you're a Rags fan, you haven't even seen the Stanley Cup since '94.

(and Sykora was the Devils 3rd leading scorer in 2000. Right behind Scott Gomez whose career was later ruined by the Rags, lol).

Did you even read the article you linked?

Yes. Did you?

All 3 NHL teams that offered him a deal did so for one year He wanted a 3 year deal.

From the article: "I don't think I would sign longer than two years, just because of my dad," Jagr said in May. "He asked me to come home in two years. He's helping to build a new arena there and he wants me to be there."

The deal he eventually signed with the KHL was 2 years.

It had nothing to do with actual $ but term.

From the article: "Jagr had long been reported to be considering lucrative offers from Russia."

Also: "Jagr enjoyed his experience in Omsk during the lockout.

"Don't forget I'm from Europe," Jagr told the Canadian Press. "Russia is nothing new for me. It's close to the Czech Republic. It would be different for American or Canadian players. But for me, I enjoy it. The people love hockey and I had a great time out there."

none of them thoguht he could last playing hockey for 3 more years... that was 4 years ago. He's proven them all wrong. Plus 3 offers isn't 'a lot'.

Source for this? Who didn't believe he could last for more than 3 years? He is playing in the NHL now, isn't he? Apparently someone thought he could still play.

From the article: "It was a very difficult but personal decision to make in light of the many NHL teams interested in his services," Brisson said.

Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Rangers are believed to have had the most interest in Jagr.

They don't mention how many teams made him offers, they only mention the three teams that made him the best offers. 'Only' three offers is you jumping to conclusions.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Playoff prediction time?

Rangers v Senators: Rangers in 6.

Bruins v Capitals: Bruins in 6.

Panthers v Devils: Devils in 5.

Penguins v Flyers: Pens in 7.

Canucks v. Kings: Canucks in 6

Blues v Sharks: Sharks in 7

Coyotes v Chicago: Chicago in 5

Nashville v Detroit: Detroit in 7

Edited by Krookie

Rangers vs. Senators - Senators in 7, I think the Sens are a deep team, Lundquist will have to be phenomenal to shut them down.

Bruins vs. Capitals - Capitals in 7, I see a Stanley Cup hangover and a Caps team that is finally starting to play well.

Panthers vs. Devils - Devils in 6

Penguins vs. Flyers - Flyers in 6 - If Sid shows up, I might change this, but the Flyers are tougher.

Canucks vs. Kings - Kings in 7. I like Quick and I'd love to see the nucks go out fast.

Blues vs. Sharks - Sharks in 6. Sharks are looking better of late, they are dangerous and the Blues lack offense.

Coyotes vs. Chicago - Chicago in 6. Tough draw for the Yotes.

Nashville vs. Detroit - Nashville in 7. I really want the Preds to find a way to beat Detroit.

A lot of possible close matchups here, and a lot of potential upsets. This could be another one of those years where the high seeds all go out in the first round!