The NHL Thread

Kor Qel Droma

And things haven't really panned out for LA with Richards and Carter so far, either.

With less than ten games left it's getting pretty damn interesting in both conferences. I find it slightly suprising that only two teams have clinched playoff spots.

Also, what happened to Thomas Vanek? He was on pace for a 40-40 season at the beginning of the year. Now he's going to be very lucky if he gets 30 goals.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Damn those Pens.

Ovechkin never lost the magic. Both cap coaches as wella s the stupid 'fans' and 'hockey experts' have handicapped him. Too worried about his 'defence' when he should focus mroe on doing what he does best - scoring goals in bunches.

Not surprising at all that Ovechkin 9and the caps ) are at their best when he is the best OFFENSIVE player on the ice. The former coach broke his spirit and the enw continued that trend.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's nice to see the Oilers string together a nice point streak at the end of the season, but they aren't doing themselves any favors in terms of the draft lottery.

I'm really hoping Ryan Nugent-Hopkins can earn the Calder trophy, as Edmonton has never had a rookie of the year.

If he would have been able to stay healthy all season long I don't think it would even be an issue.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

It's nice to see the Oilers string together a nice point streak at the end of the season, but they aren't doing themselves any favors in terms of the draft lottery.

I'm really hoping Ryan Nugent-Hopkins can earn the Calder trophy, as Edmonton has never had a rookie of the year.

If he would have been able to stay healthy all season long I don't think it would even be an issue.

Pulling for Adam Henrique from my Devils of course, but RNH had it on lock had he not been injured. If Colorado makes the playoffs, it will be largely due to Landeskog's play, so he has a huge chance at it also. It's unfortunate that Adam Larsson doesn't get more press coverage. Rookie d-man from NJ if you don't know him, he's been a top 4 defensemen for us all year and he's only 19. Doesn't get much more impressive than that seeing as how most dmen enter the league at 22-24 and even then have a hard time adjusting.

I'd say it's pretty amazing that a 19 year old d-man can step right into the NHL and have an impact.

I'm hoping the Avalanche don't make it to the playoffs. Maybe the Sharks can earn their spot instead.

And I read today that Taylor Hall from Edmonton, who's currently out with a concussion, is going to undergo surgery for a torn labrum. And his rehab is roughly 6 months long. Good to see the Oilers are already starting the 2012-2013 season with someone on the injured reserve. :blink:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I'd say it's pretty amazing that a 19 year old d-man can step right into the NHL and have an impact.

I'm hoping the Avalanche don't make it to the playoffs. Maybe the Sharks can earn their spot instead.

And I read today that Taylor Hall from Edmonton, who's currently out with a concussion, is going to undergo surgery for a torn labrum. And his rehab is roughly 6 months long. Good to see the Oilers are already starting the 2012-2013 season with someone on the injured reserve. :blink:

Yeah I read that too.

Sharks are my Western team so I hope they make the playoffs too.

Devils clinch a playoff spot...And they're pretty solidified in the 6th spot so it looks like we'll be playing the Panthers. Half the teams in the playoff picture in the East are from one conference. Can't wait for the playoffs to start. Oh, and Petr Sykora is 1 goal away from a 20 goal season, I gotta say I don't think I've ever rooted for a single player to score a goal more than I am for Sykora right now. After an awesome career and then being thrown away by the Wild, leaving the NHL and making a comeback based on a training-camp tryout he's had an amazing season and is a huge part of the Devil's success.

20 goal season.. Yeah, I've been thinking about this. Two guys will (probably) reach 50 this year. Maybe 5 guys can reach 40..

Is it just me or does this feel weak to you too? It was more fun just a couple of years ago when someone like Ovechkin could score 65 goals in a season.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Had Crosby not been injured that would have been another 50+ goal scorer, maybe more...Ovechkin lost Backstrom for some time this year and I think that certainly hurt his chances of hitting 40 or 50. Kovalchuk hasn't put up 40+ since his days in Atlanta because he's actually playing defense now and is backchecking. I think the interesting part is that the league doesn't seem to be any less high-scoring than it has been in recent years, it's just that the scoring is more balanced.

As for the 20 goal season...I think that's still a good benchmark for the term "goal scorer". It's not elite by any means, but it definitely shows you can shoot the puck.

Edited by Krookie

It's been this way for awhile, remember a few years ago we only had a couple guys that even made it to 40. I think it mostly has to do with the goaltending position being pretty insane right now, there are some very talented young guys in the league today. Plus it doesn't seem like you get that one dominant line on teams anymore. Maybe it's because the defense against the top line has gotten better, or the other three lines have been earning more minutes. But it seems pretty standard throughout the league.

As for the 20 goal season...I think that's still a good benchmark for the term "goal scorer". It's not elite by any means, but it definitely shows you can shoot the puck.

I'm not trying to discredit Sykora, 20 goals is good in today's NHL.

I think it mostly has to do with the goaltending position being pretty insane right now, there are some very talented young guys in the league today.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. Are goalies of today really better than (for example) the Dominator? Or does it perhaps have something to do with the fact that goalies of today are as wide as they are tall and cover basically 95% of the net just by standing still?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There were some big goalies in the 80's, they just weren't very flexible or cat-like. I don't think there are guys better than Hasek or Roy or Brodeur, I just think there are more guys around that can compete at their level. The average goalie today is much better than in the past.

I will say that goalies of today still have problems with consistency, which is what separates the hall of famers. The difference is when your goalie pulls a Jim Carey, you can replace him with an excellent backup on many squads.

"Are goalies of today really better than (for example) the Dominator? "

They're not better than the Dominator or the other star goalies of yesteryear. The so called 'lower tier' of goalies though is much better than before. Remember, .900 S% used to be the benchmark of elite goaltending. Now, you need at least .910 or even .920 to even be considered semi elite.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Crosby already can't stay healthy, do you think the Broad Street Bullies would let him skate around? Sure, you can put a bodyguard out there like Gretzky had, but that also limits the offensive potential.

About to leave to see what could be my team's last ever home game. ;(

Prediction: Coyotes lose 3-2 and are swept by the Blue Jackets. Yandle (most overrated defenseman in the league) makes a bad pass directly to Rick Nash who promptly puts one over Smitty's glove.

At some point during the night, I cry.

Prediction: Coyotes lose 3-2 and are swept by the Blue Jackets. Yandle (most overrated defenseman in the league) makes a bad pass directly to Rick Nash who promptly puts one over Smitty's glove.

Shame that they even were in Columbus to begin with because now you all have to suffer the loss of them leaving =[ I feel for you, man. If the Devils ever left New Jersey I don't know what I would do.

Smith denies your pessimism! Puts up third straight shutout. :p

Aww crud the Sabres were eliminated tonight. With two of my favorite teams from the east not making the postseason, I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon with Krookies' team.

Go Devils!?!

I have no idea who I want to cheer for in the west. What little national pride I have tells me to root for the Canucks, but they play such a cheap, dirty game it makes it hard to root for them.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif