"Minimum reference to Al Qaeda"

Walsingham

I wish America would pick on an enemy her own size. Someone like Russia, y'know. But ofcourse, we know that will never happen. Pity, as I would love to see some action on the global scale.

I don't think their new Chinese overlords would let them. Bad for Chinese export markets :p

MAJOR FOREIGN HOLDERS OF TREASURY SECURITIES

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Soon there'll be the US-Voltronistani war.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wish America would pick on an enemy her own size. Someone like Russia, y'know. But ofcourse, we know that will never happen. Pity, as I would love to see some action on the global scale.

Really?

:sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Really?

:sorcerer:

I was about to suggest how we all just get a bunch of aluminium base ball bats and beat just him up instead. He gets to experience a rough approximation of the scenario while we get to let loose some stress. Win/win.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

American citizen and al Qaeda terrorist Anwar Awlaki was killed today in a drone strike. Big win for the U.S. and Yemen president, who is facing increasingly strong opposition. They say al Qaeda is becoming more and more irrelevant in the arab-spring movement. They're not toppling dictators. They're not supporting democracy. Al Qaeda and terrorism is becoming obsolete as the internet age brings more and more people worldwide into the reality of the world today. The means of how people live in the Middle East is changing, improving, modernizing. Eventually this movement would have encompassed the globe and we'll all be on the same level, no more "third world."

Twitter | @Insevin

American citizen and al Qaeda terrorist Anwar Awlaki was killed today in a drone strike. Big win for the U.S. and Yemen president, who is facing increasingly strong opposition. They say al Qaeda is becoming more and more irrelevant in the arab-spring movement. They're not toppling dictators. They're not supporting democracy. Al Qaeda and terrorism is becoming obsolete as the internet age brings more and more people worldwide into the reality of the world today. The means of how people live in the Middle East is changing, improving, modernizing. Eventually this movement would have encompassed the globe and we'll all be on the same level, no more "third world."

I certainly hope you are right.

I think, however, that AlQ is going to surge forward as the new 'democracies' fail to deliver. Look at the upsurge recently of islamist action in Egypt. Weapon stockpiles are being formed, attacks on gas and government targets.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This would be nice. I wonder if al-Qaeda would have become irrelevant on it's own of if it has become so only because the US, UK and dozens of other governments have been so effective in hunting them down and killing them like the vermin they are?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This would be nice. I wonder if al-Qaeda would have become irrelevant on it's own of if it has become so only because the US, UK and dozens of other governments have been so effective in hunting them down and killing them like the vermin they are?

As a rule, you can only get rid of people like that by cutting off their popular support and/or bankroll (AFAIK, that played a big part with the PIRA, but Wals and the others would know more about that). Otherwise, it's like decapitating a hydra, especially in the case of al Qaeda which is more like a terrorist franchise than an actual organisation.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If you look at the fall of the communist-ish terror groups of the 60s and 70s it was a combination of factors. In fact I think it HAS to be a combination of factors. Trouble in only one sense just provokes them to fix it. i.e. move countries or hire more people. If they get all sorts of problems at once that's when they give up.

It must be pretty dispiriting for AlQ about now. I'm not talking islamism in general, which is still nuzzled close into the fold sof western society like a particularly hairy leech. But true desert dwelling AlQ is having its upper echelons pummeled. What is it? 5 major players dead so far this year?

-Elwood Blues

One of things the US asnd their allies have accomplished by hunting AQ leaders down like they have is it serves a warning for all would be big shot terrorists that you REALLY better be ready to die for your cause because it well very likely happen. And, as Osama is evdienced off, hiding in rmeote reasons 9or even near allies) doesnt' guarantee you safetly. No more sending OTHERS to die ala Osma did on 9/11 and living the good live.

Plus, technology is gonna get you. No more hding the fact that you target muslims as often as you do non Muslims also tends to hurt your support.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

One thing is certain... they're on the way down.

I disagree further because of Afghanistan. We're bugging out in the next couple of years, and I don't see the infrastructure or social structure to resist Talib/Al Qaeda influence. Althugh whether it will generate substantially more terrorists than Pakistan is breeding is another matter.

We've got another challenge right here in the west. Plenty of people - and I include many non-muslims - hate what we stand for. Whether from a maudlin 'liberal' self-hatred, or a strident neo-fascist urge among young muslims, it doesn't much matter. AlQ is a very advanced movement for taking advantage of that hatred. I don't think it could really be much better evolved to operate in such an atmosphere. How do you kill that?

-Elwood Blues

AlQ is a very advanced movement for taking advantage of that hatred. I don't think it could really be much better evolved to operate in such an atmosphere. How do you kill that?

By not provoking them?

AlQ is a very advanced movement for taking advantage of that hatred. I don't think it could really be much better evolved to operate in such an atmosphere. How do you kill that?

By not provoking them?

So we should turn all of our churches into mosques and kill our jews and that will solve the problem? I'll get right on it :lol:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

By not provoking them?

If I thought it would do the slightest good I would spang myself with a frying pan.

'Provoke them'? You do realise that AlQ argued originally that NON intervention (Balkans, Chechnya) in the muslim world was proof we wanted to destroy all muslims. Then when we did intervene they said that proved it even more.

Now we 'provoke' Al Qaeda simply by existing. By having a sense of humour, by voting, by insisting on equality for women. You want to stop provoking them, and you can kiss it all goodbye.

-Elwood Blues

They hate our freedom!!1!! was simplistic at best when GWB said it and it's still, at best, simplistic.

AlQ was never an existential threat to the west. Never had the capacity. The only thing they've ever been capable of was, well, getting us to hit ourselves in the head with a frying pan while trying to swat the AlQ fly. Deciding to spend the last decade living on credit has done far more to erode the west's power than AlQ could ever dream of achieving.

Fact is that there are rather a lot of people who don't hate us 'for out freedoms' but because one day Uncle Muhammad got blown up by a drone for being tall and having a beard. Generally such people aren't big on exporting the global jihad- which tends to be an embarrassingly middle class trend and from embarrassingly friendly areas- but they sure are keen on making a mess for 'our' interests and friends. And that's the primary reason why we've been months away from beating the Taliban, for the past decade.

Zor, you're a smart guy, but you're talking through your hat. Can you honestly tell me you've read a single book on Al Qaeda's history and methodology?

-Elwood Blues

By not provoking them?

So we should turn all of our churches into mosques and kill our jews and that will solve the problem? I'll get right on it :)

Bringing war and destabilization to muslim countries in the middle east creates suffering, and eventually refugee camps, emigration etc.

The more we stir it up over there, the more they come over here and take advantage of our freedom and welfare system.

If you don't want them around, the best thing to do is leave them alone.

J.

Zor, you're a smart guy, but you're talking through your hat. Can you honestly tell me you've read a single book on Al Qaeda's history and methodology?

OK, I really sounded like a prick there. Sorry Zor. :)

-Elwood Blues

Bringing war and destabilization to muslim countries in the middle east creates suffering, and eventually refugee camps, emigration etc.

The more we stir it up over there, the more they come over here and take advantage of our freedom and welfare system.

If you don't want them around, the best thing to do is leave them alone.

J.

So if we leave them all alone they will stop calling us the Great Satan, blaming us for all the sand in their shoes and women's trying to be equal? I have never seen anyone so disposed to throw a scapegoat away.

Besides, they're too dangerous to be left alone.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif