Remakes

Guest RytGansta

Guest RytGansta

What are your thoughts on remakes for...

- Dungeon Siege, Legends of Aranna, Return to Arhok and Yesterhaven

- Dungeon Siege II and Broken World

- Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony

... using the DS3 engine? Everything would stay the same (maybe some gameplay mechanics updates, expanded story details e.g. what happened to the Shield of Azunai at the end of BW?) Of course, speaking on a multiplatform basis.

For the record, I'm not a graphics wh*r*. Just want to know what you guys think for the sake of discussion.

Edited by RytGansta

What are your thoughts on remakes for...

- Dungeon Siege, Legends of Aranna, Return to Arhok and Yesterhaven

- Dungeon Siege II and Broken World

- Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony

... using the DS3 engine? Everything would stay the same (maybe some gameplay mechanics updates, expanded story details e.g. what happened to the Shield of Azunai at the end of BW?) Of course, speaking on a multiplatform basis.

For the record, I'm not a graphics wh*r*. Just want to know what you guys think for the sake of discussion.

I enjoy remakes myself and wouldn't mind seeing 'updated' versions of any of the older DS titles. If such a remake was made I'd most want to see dialogue/story updated to be more in depth (DS1 in particular was extremely dry) and most importantly the combat system of DS 3 being used.

Don't hold your breath for any remakes though... I just don't see it happening.

I'd rather Obsidian spend their time and effort on creating Dungeon Siege IV, and improving upon the weak points of DS3, rather than go back and remake games from the past.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Guest RytGansta
I enjoy remakes myself and wouldn't mind seeing 'updated' versions of any of the older DS titles. If such a remake was made I'd most want to see dialogue/story updated to be more in depth (DS1 in particular was extremely dry) and most importantly the combat system of DS 3 being used.

This. I, for one, would like to play a PC version of Throne of Agony so much. Also, I get what you say. Who are the DS1 crew (Ulora, Naidi, Zed, Gloern, Rhut, Boryev, Lord Bolingar, Gyorn, Merik, Ulfgrim, Rusk, Lorun, Phaedriel and Sikra) and the LoA one? At the time I played DS1 I only knew their names, which is kind of a bummer since you travel with them all across Ehb. I'll admit I got to know the DS2 crew (Lothar, Deru, Taar, Sartan, Vix, Amren, Finala, Eva, Drevin, Celeb'hel, Yorin and Ressa) much more than the Heroes of Ehb. It'd be nice to have them fleshed out.

I'd rather Obsidian spend their time and effort on creating Dungeon Siege IV, and improving upon the weak points of DS3, rather than go back and remake games from the past.

I know. But a good classic can always use an overhaul.

Edited by RytGansta

This. I, for one, would like to play a PC version of Throne of Agony so much. Also, I get what you say. Who are the DS1 crew (Ulora, Naidi, Zed, Gloern, Rhut, Boryev, Lord Bolingar, Gyorn, Merik, Ulfgrim, Rusk, Lorun, Phaedriel and Sikra) and the LoA one? At the time I played DS1 I only knew their names, which is kind of a bummer since you travel with them all across Ehb. I'll admit I got to know the DS2 crew (Lothar, Deru, Taar, Sartan, Vix, Amren, Finala, Eva, Drevin, Celeb'hel, Yorin and Ressa) much more than the Heroes of Ehb. It'd be nice to have them fleshed out.

The DS1 character's stories are pretty much confined to a few sentences when they first meet you. Those stories were usually no more complex than 'I'm bored... can I come with you?'. Heh, DS3 has given me more insight into these characters in the history texts. I'm in the middle of Legends of Aranna now and the characters are slightly improved in back story from the main original game. Slightly being the key word. I've yet to play DS 2 but I'm looking forward to try it after Legends of Aranna & Return to Arhok.

Guest RytGansta
The DS1 character's stories are pretty much confined to a few sentences when they first meet you. Those stories were usually no more complex than 'I'm bored... can I come with you?'. Heh, DS3 has given me more insight into these characters in the history texts. I'm in the middle of Legends of Aranna now and the characters are slightly improved in back story from the main original game. Slightly being the key word. I've yet to play DS 2 but I'm looking forward to try it after Legends of Aranna & Return to Arhok.

Return to Arhok is like a post-LoA mini story. As for DS2, everyone has their own personal quest and some banter here and there. I thought it was nice getting to know my companions, which is why it'd be nice the same happened to the Heroes of Ehb and the LoA crew.

Unless a mod exists, the 'problem' with DS2 is that you need to finish the game twice to unlock the highest difficulty setting and gain access to five party members. First time you play you can only take along three.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Unless a mod exists, the 'problem' with DS2 is that you need to finish the game twice to unlock the highest difficulty setting and gain access to five party members. First time you play you can only take along three.

if a high amount of need exists for a certain mod, it probably exists. Try siegetheday.org | currently the importing and fine tuning of the original ds1 map is in progress. Utrean peninsula done.

There is a mod, and I've used it for years. The sucky part is the gold payments don't decrease, so it takes a lot of grinding to get all party slots by the time you hit Windstone Fortress and Sartan.

Pity I didn't know that. I only use Vix and Sartan to do their personal quests (I don't like the other half-giant either), but it would be nice to take along Finala in Aman'lu straight away.

Edited by virumor

Pity I didn't know that. I only use Vix and Sartan to do their personal quests (I don't like the other half-giant either), but it would be nice to take along Finala in Aman'lu straight away.

Finala is quite fun to have. It's a pity that I have four mages already in my party, and I don't really need any more. I must say that I like the whole cast there. So good VA.

Guest RytGansta
Finala is quite fun to have. It's a pity that I have four mages already in my party, and I don't really need any more. I must say that I like the whole cast there. So good VA.

One thing that stroke me as way too odd was that in Broken World the entire companion voice cast was changed. I was like 'What the hell?'

That's probably because they hired actual voice actors for the expansions, rather than let the developers do it? The voice-over in DS2 was terrible, but still had its charm.

Edited by virumor

Guest RytGansta
That's probably because they hired actual voice actors for the expansions, rather than let the developers do it? The voice-over in DS2 was terrible, but still had its charm.

I wouldn't say that. Every voice had a certain charm that made each character unique and special. I would even say I almost figured their personality traits. That's why when I heard, for example, Lothar and Amren new voices, I felt like they were the same Lothar and Amren I knew, but at the same time they weren't.

Off topic, the whole remake issue comes from the fact that I've been in love with DS3 the moment I watched the intro and saw Marten Guiscard up-close. The level of detail just stunned me.

Also the characters and their proper skills. It was nice playing as a completely unique character with a proper name, background, personality and ties to the Legion. The Farmer and the Mercenary, while awesome in their own rights, could do with a little more depth.

Then there's the easter eggs: the Farmer's statue, the fact that Lucas and Reinhart descend from the Farmer and Merik respectively, the dead overburdened mule, the quest called 'Dungeon Siege', the Heroes' tombs which some contained their personal items. The DS1 references. I couldn't help but smile at the guardian at Gunderic Manor after trying so hard to figure out the password to Gunderic's studio.

I would love to see such thorough design applied to an overhaul for DS1-LoA, DS2-BW and ToA. Of course maintaining the elements that makes these games unique in their own ways.

If not, I settle for a PC port for Throne of Agony, so I can play it once and for all.