What would you like to see in a Dungeon Siege IV?

If you haven't read my "review" of DS3 I quite like it and gave it a lot of positive feedback so say whatever you want it has nothing to do with being a "grognard" or whatever...Space Siege isn't a very good game. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it but saying those who didn't like it are just crabby DS fanboys is a lie. Space Siege's detractors were many...

It had some nice ideas though...HR-V was a really cool side kick.

Edited by Renevent

Well obviously they're not all crabby DS fanboys, but that was certainly one of the sentiments on the old Gaspowered Games boards. It may not be the greatest of games(neither were the DS games), but certainly doesn't deserve the outright dismissal a lot of people are/were giving it.

The DS games were great, which is why they were received so well played by many and even are played online to this very day. Space Siege on the other hand, was not and for good reason. Space Siege didn't even resonate with the more action orientated crowd either as the controls were so funky.

I think if Space Siege had the same depth but had...let's say...Shadowgrounds control scheme it would have done a lot better. I think that's it's problem it tried to be two types of games and in the end didn't do either very well.

I'm sure even Big Rigs has it's fans lol. Not arguing you can't find Space Siege fun, my comments were aimed at the idea that the only people who found Space Siege dull was "grumpy DS grognards"...that's categorically incorrect.

Glad you enjoyed it though, honestly I wish I could have myself. It sucks when I buy a game and end up disliking it.

Edited by Renevent

I hear lowering one's expectations and just having fun has been known to make things easier to enjoy. Big Rigs would probably entertain me for much longer than your average racing game these days.

@Sannom: I'm using the expanded, English definition of the word in this case.

Edited by Purkake

I'd like to see a longer storyline, more sidequests, more opportunities to interact with your companions. Like a lot of other people said, more of the same. A couple of camera tweaks for a longer field of view, and the chance to save the game whenever I'd like would be icing on the cake.

Wait..... what? Longer story line? More side-quests? Camera tweaks? What the heck are you talking about? What does this have to do with Space Siege? Oh! Ha! That's right. This thread is about DS4. You were getting back ON topic. My mistake. ;)

I was fine talking about Space Siege! Haha! I've still been playing it, btw. Totally enjoying it. My advice to those that don't like it, perhaps just wait a while longer and try it again in the future. As I mentioned, I initially didn't like it either. After completing DS3, the time just seemed right.

Now I totally appreciate the controls, the story, the environments, the health stations, the upgrades, HR-V, just all of it in general.

I know I'm still talking off topic. I apologize.

Wait..... what? Longer story line? More side-quests? Camera tweaks? What the heck are you talking about? What does this have to do with Space Siege? Oh! Ha! That's right. This thread is about DS4. You were getting back ON topic. My mistake. ;)

I was fine talking about Space Siege! Haha! I've still been playing it, btw. Totally enjoying it. My advice to those that don't like it, perhaps just wait a while longer and try it again in the future. As I mentioned, I initially didn't like it either. After completing DS3, the time just seemed right.

Now I totally appreciate the controls, the story, the environments, the health stations, the upgrades, HR-V, just all of it in general.

I know I'm still talking off topic. I apologize.

Not that some of those points wouldn't work for a Space Siege 2 :p I'm weird-- I also liked Space Siege when it came out. I tried playing it again recently when Steam was having major issues after I had to replace my motherboard, but it just didn't quite click with me. I missed having companions. A lot. And I didn't get far enough to find HR-V-- just to Gina and that @$#@$# battle on the catwalk melee style. I loathe melee in that game, and I can't quite get the hang of evading again either.

If Obsidian did a Space Siege game in the future, it would have to blow Mass Effect out of the water as far as Sci-Fi RPGs go. I don't doubt they could do it but that's a high bar to reach.

Well, if they ever do a SCI-FI I hope they can use their own license.

Edited by C2B

If Obsidian did a Space Siege game in the future, it would have to blow Mass Effect out of the water as far as Sci-Fi RPGs go. I don't doubt they could do it but that's a high bar to reach.

Well, if they ever do a SCI-FI I hope they can use their own license.

Obsidian have not worked with THQ. They should rectify this by collaborating on a WH40K rpg.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

They would just need to tone down the EXTREME!!! antics and the romantic fan service, and a better game would easily come out. Also, I'd welcome deeper roleplaying myself, both in systems and dialogue.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They would just need to tone down the EXTREME!!! antics and the romantic fan service, and a better game would easily come out. Also, I'd welcome deeper roleplaying myself, both in systems and dialogue.

The sad thing is that'd result in the game being poorly received by the general public. I mean, imo from a rpg perspective (or just any perspective personally) New Vegas blows Fallout 3 completely out of the water but then when I ask my friends and stuff or look around on many forum communities the consensus is that Fallout 3 is more "epic" and "extreme" and "awesome".

Making a better SciFi RPG than Mass Effect wouldn't be difficult, that game doesn't have that good a story and it's shallow on the RPG side. But man, making a better game that's also a crowd pleaser would be heaps tough.

On Topic: If Obsidian ever made a DS4 (and that's the only reason I'd care for a dungeon siege 4) I'd like to see a greater choice in character building (maybe instead of having a fixed set of skills that we will all eventually gain, we instead choose up to 3 skills per stance and can eventually max all of these out with a high enough level cap- the diversity then comes from the choice of skills and the way you upgrade them rather than just which ones you can upgrade enough).

I'd also like that, instead of a choice in characters it's a choice in class (clockpunk mage vs Archon for females only vs gunslinger vs swordsman) so that this way the story can be tailored around this one character with maybe some flavour dialogue depending on the class they chose (As Reinhart I felt like my character had no plot relevance compared to other characters, Anjali seems like she's clearly the main character and this issue could be averted by just making it one person)

Finally I'd like a more Obsidian style storyline with a more darker and deconstructive approach to the lore as opposed to the more traditional/generic approach to DS3.

DS3 had some great moments but a sequel or expansion pack could really perfect that system...although tbh I'd rather see Obsidian taking that combat (the best part of DS3 imo, the combat and boss battles were great) into their own IP rather than get limited by Dungeon Siege lore.

The sad thing is that'd result in the game being poorly received by the general public. I mean, imo from a rpg perspective (or just any perspective personally) New Vegas blows Fallout 3 completely out of the water but then when I ask my friends and stuff or look around on many forum communities the consensus is that Fallout 3 is more "epic" and "extreme" and "awesome".

I actually think that has less to do with the themes of F:NV and more to do with the perception of F:NV in terms of bugs and the fact that it is pretty similar to F3 in terms of tech, so it doesn't immediately jump out as something new or different. While there are some critics/members of the public who didn't like F:NV's story, there are a lot who did. More often other aspects of the game that are brought up as negatives.

Fallout: NV is still wildly popular. After I played new vegas I sold my copy of Fallout 3 because I had the collectors edition. I knew if I was going to play gamebryo fallout that it would be New Vegas.

--------------

For DS4 ... even though I don't think Mr Chapman up there has the will or the means to do the following, here's what I would want if DS4 was inevitable (I still vote for no more dungeon siege out of protest to the streamlining of DS3 though):

1. Male/Female for each character class/archetype (So you'd have Reinhart and Reilena or something if you stuck with the current predetermined protagonist style) -- I would prefer no set protagonists and customizable appearance with customizable skill and class picks.

2. Persistent character saves and Newgame+ mode. Ability to take your character into any game mode with your friends.

3. Open games and closed server side saves for things like hardcore mode and cheat free gaming.

4. No MF'in shared screen for online play. See my sig, learn the rhyme, sing it to yourself.

5. Each character class/archetype has a unique class quest that spans the length of the game.

6. Interchangeable co-op and solo play like Borderlands. I can play campaign on my own and catch up to friends, join their game and complete the campaign! This kind of stuff is good.

7. Deeper itemization.

---Customizable crafting, rune sockets/magic gems/whateveryouwannacallem

---uses for items beyond just selling, scrapping, or equipping .. ie. everything should also have an alternate crafting use.

---Customizable appearance of armor and weapons. Like the stats but hate the looks? Use your crafting skills to change properties from item to item.

---Crafting should be a skill choice and a sacrifice in other areas. Crafters should be valuable.

---Trading lobbies for players that don't want to craft but want to trade with other players.

---Trading lobbies should host at least 32 players on Xbox Live/PSN .. more on PC. Build a community around your game.

---Epic weapon and armor quests for every character class/archetype.

8. Endgame content

9. Free mode Single Player/ Free Mode Multi Player \\ Campaign Single Player/ Campaign Multiplayer \\ Free Mode PVP \\ Trading Lobbies \\ Separate Difficulty levels for each mode )(Bronze, Silver ... Nightmare, Hell etc.)<--- This is the bare minimum of game modes you should have available. If you can't bring this to the table you should cancel your project because you are going to keep disappointing your publishers.

10. Customizable controls right out of the box, for PC's for sure but for consoles also.

11. Pack mule for carrying loot. Secret mule jousting level.

12. Way bigger maps. corridor maps are an insult to gamers everywhere. Better has been done, is being done, and should be done. There should be some cramped dungeons and some massive wide open underground valuts, some claustrophic forests and some awe inspiring fields and plains and everything in between. build a real gameworld if you can instead of just little interconnected maps. If you have to do small maps because of an inefficient engine then you need to build tons and tons of maps. Gamers are tired of getting shortchanged with small games.

13. More non combat content. Social aspects like interracting with townspeople. Temples, mage towers to visit, secret societies, taverns. NPC's with shcedules.

14. Emergent gameplay experiences the player can get involved. Like villagers wandering too far form their farms and being attacked by hostile NPC's ...

15. Multuiple pathways through the main quest.

16. Factions the player can befriend or betray. NPC's are not just enemies or friends, they can be either. Faction resets after completion of campaign so players can try new factions when they replay on harder difficulties. Factions start at default during free mode so players can experiment with the faction system to their heart's content in free mode.

17. A retirement feature for venerable characters ... integrate a social element into this like a hall of legends for players to share/show off their retired legendary characters. Bonuses for retring characters are gained for subsequent characters. Build replay, build sharing, build community. Build a real game not a streamlined tech demo.

18. Extensive options for hosting. Allow the host to really tailor the hosting options to the experience they and their friends want to have.

19. Paper Doll inventory ... people want to see how the gear looks on their toons without having to go in and out of inventory over and over. This is really elementary and I find the lack of it in DS3 is really lazy.

20. If you are going to make a console game learn how to use controller feedback like a professional developer. When I play Borderlands I can tell what direction I am being shot from just by the controller feedback alone. Controller feedback is also one of the primary sources for visceral feedback and satisfying gaming feedback for hearing impaired gamers. It is important to them and just makes your game that much better. It also shows you pay attention to detail. Controller feedback should always be on a TOGGLE in OPTIONS so that people who don't like it can turn it off.

I can think of more because you guys left so much out of Dungeon Siege 3 but this is a good starting point.

Streamlining is horrible and removes value from a product for gamers. Streamlining is done to cut corners and cut costs and then marketed to gamers as a sleeker more focussed experience. Nice 1984 double speak but I'm not buying it. Like I'm really not buying it and I hope gamers start to demand more quality from developers for their money. You game developers make a living wage, work in air conditioned offices, and get to make games for a living. Consumers don't need to hear about your limited budgets or short dev cycles. We don't care unless you care enough about our money to charge less for a title with a smaller budget and short development time.

You game developers make a living wage, work in air conditioned offices, and get to make games for a living.

Considering all the things that are coming out regarding developer crunch and work conditions in the video game industry.

You are a complete self absorbed and entitled moron. "Make games for a living" isn't an argument. Its great to do what you like. Doesn't mean its easy.

And yes, you can totally take this as an insult and report me for it.

Edited by C2B

You game developers make a living wage, work in air conditioned offices, and get to make games for a living.

Considering all the things that are coming out regarding developer crunch and work conditions in the video game industry.

You are a complete self absorbed and entitled moron. "Make games for a living" isn't an argument. Its great to do what you like. Doesn't mean its easy.

And yes, you can totally take this as an insult and report me for it.

+1 , Like, Tykk??n, QFT etc.

Hate the living, love the dead.