What would you like to see in a Dungeon Siege IV?

More side-quest, party interaction (and possibly a crafting system) would summarize what I mean by "make it more of a proper RPG". Admittedly, that's a very low entry bar, but with the current state of the genre. :p

Oh, ok. :) What I liked about DSIII was that the companions also interacted with the NPCs at times. I hope they build up on that too.

ds2 had that too. And there was interaction between companions too! (kinda like Baldur's Gate 2, but more rigid in application) And the potential of the Flick system is limitless

I do it because of my own values. Yes, I have problems when someone insults an industry with "They work not hard enough" especially when said industry constantly gets press about how much they are overworked. And I'm sure as hell going to call you out for it.

I know that I am late for this but!

If you do find me an "industry" that does NOT have pressure against them, its either the governement or totally illegal.

I'm sorry but nowadays there's pressure EVERYWHERE, if you want to make money, you gotta work harder, faster and better than the guy next to you, otherwise you're gone.

I speak from working as a carpenter for 5 years in Canada (INCLUDING outside, during winter: down to -40 F (& C))

and now I am in Financial Planning, and I DO have to sell at LEAST 10% more than last year, every years (That means about 9.5 m $ sales this year) not to mention all the annoying things I have to do aswell.

So please mind your stuff, you act like someone who never worked.

And if there's anyone currently working at a permanent Job that doesnt get crushed from pressure by a daily basis... feel free to pm me or to hit reply.

I made it short because I felt like it wasnt worth it to reply to that kind of irrevelant argument.

Here goes my happy ending! :

Don't cry over spilt milk.

DS2 also had side quests for every single hireable (the dev name for actors that could become party members) actor: Taar's investigation, Finala's Contempt, Amren's Visions, Vix's Vengeance (poor sod lost his whole squads to body-possessing shard souls from Zaramoth's army encased in crystals and recently freed by the Dark Wizards. [btw you know all that right lorebook-diggers?]), Lothar's quest to clear his name because somebody framed him for theft or something. Quite off the beaten path.

Also awesome scavenger hunt for lelani and finding all the ghosts of aranna...

As for party system: DS2 makes ds3 look like it (ds3) was made before 2005: 4 party member (5 on vet, 6 on elite, many more with mods) slots to boot, each can be filled with characters of any combinations of Nature Magic, Combat Magic, Melee and Ranged proficency, deep skill system with good interactions: As a 2h character it was still worth putting points into Alacrity for IAS (increased attack speed). Later on Fist of Stone(Reinhart) and Blood Assassin(Cat) in the expansion: they were super awesome.

In creating your party you were given much much much options (which makes ds3 more sad): You could fill your party with a mix of mages only and still win because of summons. Or with fist of stone you could have a full melee heavily armored squadron zergrushing over everyone. A pack of Blood Assassins was also something to behold (with bas being remarkably good on their own), while a balanced team of melee, combat, nature and archer was still a viable and good option.

Then no need to get into being able to customize said melee character into armored tank dude, two-handed sledge-tossing beast of war, or a dual wielder capable of quickly killing enemies with dozens of cuts(and regenerating health with life steal gear).

powers (which were the equivalent of skills in ds3) were just an extra touch for combat. They did have nice particle effects, but were not the necessary part of regular combat. (not next-gen sprite graphics of the gunderic skeleton mages)

These are all things I'd like to see in DS4

- I'd also like to see a map editor,

- a complete script reference for modding,

- plugins for 3dsmax/gmax,

- customizeable characters both in view and gameplay,

- ds1-2 inventory since it is a lot better if you have a quick overview of your set,

- paperdoll view,

- bigger world,

- less blurry graphics (srsly I had to tone down settings just not to feel like I'm wearing glasses made for people with eye problems),

- more particle effects and less sprites,

- more summons,

- character classes,

- race selection (gimme me dwarf/elf/dryad/half-giants back),

- krug,

- morden,

- cinbri,

- dragon miniguns, lightning guns, flamethrowers, grenade and napalm launchers instead of a silly, unimaginative staple gunslinger lescanzi girl (WTF are the lescanzi doing in ehb btw? they are on the other end of the ds2deluxe ****en map!!!)

- Goblin Robo Suit,

- The Warding Staff,

- Less crap pulled out of dev test files just to defile what was in ds1 and ds2 ingame: Found the archon actually: it's a dev test object, level 2, and looks like a floating orb of flame (ie: no naked women)

- Seck! Gom! Oh Yeah!

- Dragons! Scorch yeah!

- Glacern (writing department raped the whole town)

- moar dwarves!

- Wesrin Cross! (the spider dungeon)

- mucosae

- no more messed up geography,

- goblins not portrayed as a generic steampunk band. They used electricity and internal combustion engines by the time it was ds1. They should have revolutionarized warfare in ds3 yet you show them as steam punks which they were NOT!. They were references to both Gas Powered Games (as in powered by gas NOT steam you know) total annihilation which you can not call steampunk under any circumstances!

- heaters, proxos, perforators, copters, tesla coils, they were already in ds1

- beholders (fury den)

- Ice warriors and archers

- Klaws

- Swamp monsters

- First ppl crap removed: only remote witches lived in the eastern swamp. they were outcasts/hermits.

- less portrayal of azunite church as a church millitant: it's again defilement of the ds canon.

- multiplayer content!

- skyboxes (wanna see the sky)

- better camera

- legion, lescanzi and other bullcrap magic returned to glorious combat/nature magic.

- persistent characters

- return of the siege engine. It's THAT awesome. Just add polygons to it.

- playable content: It's ok if you want to tell a story but why didn't you cut the budget and made an interactive book from get-go?

And finally Space Siege 2 should be made by crytek instead of obsidian. imo.

I think the main thing I would want in a sequel would be a world that simply feels a bit larger, with a bit more branching. A bit more content where the player has to search in order to find it. DS3 has sidequests and optional objectives but it's pretty much put right in the path of the main quest anyways so it's sorta pointless in that regard. Less of a corridor-design overall, open the quests and areas up a bit.

Yeah, it's funny because I think DS3 has some good old BG2-like side-quests in Raven's Rill, with Gunderic Manor and the Crypt of Heroes being entire dungeons dedicated to side-quests, and they are off the beaten path, even if not by much. Of course the player will always receive the quests, but still, I thought it was nice. Unless I missed something mandatory to do in those dungeons? For example, do we have to complete Gunderic Manor to get our second companion after the bridge? I'm playing Katarina and wanted to do the Manor with Lucas, but he wasn't at the bridge. Also, funny that you get a bigger insight into Leona's character by doing her quest after freeing Raven's Rill.

But later, there are no more of those. More dungeons like that in Stonebridge at least would have been nice!

About Lucas... Just play a little more. /spoiler Kat was my first playthrough.

People seriously want a sequel to this underwhelming and unremarkable game?

Please.

Oh, my. Other eople have different opinions than Morgoth. On the Obsidian boards. The horror. :p

(Meant as a joke)

I think this kind of work can have the possibility for sequel than something like Alpha Protocol does. I think the essential part of the game is if the game delivers the core game-play without problems. Of course, people has their likes and dislikes but most of reviews I read complained of the lack of the content while appreciating what already exists more or less. While AP can be an underrated masterpiece, no publisher would pay the bill for the possible sequel. I don't know about the decision of Square Enix but I think something like DSIII would have better chance. Since Obsidian doesn't have the luxury to spend as much as time they like for a game, I think this is more practical approach.

That said, while I had been quite vocal in the boards, I haven't bought the game. I played the demo with both characters but I ended up with confirming that this game-play (I wonder if I'm allowed to call it "hack-and-slash") is not my cup of tea. I simply cannot get myself into the game even enough to decide if the game-play is good or bad. I'm surprised by how indifferent I can be to what's going on the screen. :lol: So, personally, a sequel wouldn't make me excited but I'd like Obsidian to stay on business for possible other works.

The same button could be used for standard attack and interact. This way an extra button would be freed up for abilities. It would be better if all ranged/AOE abilities were together, otherwise I keep constantly having to switch stances, hitting the wrong button and forgetting useful abilities in the heat of the battle. This is a problem with Rheinhart, don't know about other characters. Better yet, how about being able to re-map buttons, so you can put your favorite abilities in the same stance/selection?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I do it because of my own values. Yes, I have problems when someone insults an industry with "They work not hard enough" especially when said industry constantly gets press about how much they are overworked. And I'm sure as hell going to call you out for it.

I know that I am late for this but!

If you do find me an "industry" that does NOT have pressure against them, its either the governement or totally illegal.

I'm sorry but nowadays there's pressure EVERYWHERE, if you want to make money, you gotta work harder, faster and better than the guy next to you, otherwise you're gone.

I speak from working as a carpenter for 5 years in Canada (INCLUDING outside, during winter: down to -40 F (& C))

and now I am in Financial Planning, and I DO have to sell at LEAST 10% more than last year, every years (That means about 9.5 m $ sales this year) not to mention all the annoying things I have to do aswell.

So please mind your stuff, you act like someone who never worked.

Depends and no. If you actually read my posts (Especially where I talked about my own work): Yes, there is pressure everywhere. (Workplace competition alone though can be a non-issue depending on the job you work in. Though naturally you still have to bring performance otherwise you'll be fired anyway. Just remarking here.)

At the same time is it normal for you to work overtime nearly every day? Thats normal work for you? I'm not talking about normal work conditions here because yes, you can't normaly just sit back. Thats not my point at all. The video game industry is notorious for crunch. Thats just a fact. Other industrys have different problems (or/and the same in some cases). I did not once meant or made the attempt to insult them here.

By the way. While I never worked myself as a carpenter I did help out one (And one of my best friends has taken the profession). I'm also doing a lot of work as a hobby. (Mostly fixing (smaller, of course :thumbsup: ) stuff on the farm) I don't really have the same climatic condition as you so outside work is a lot easier for me, though.

Short Summary: I did not mean to offend you at all. My reason for these posts was with the "They do not work hard enough". I never once specified that this only happens in the games industry. Just that said industry is notorious for crunch time.

Edited by C2B

Most jobs do NOT require working 60-80 hours a week or going through 3-6 month long crunch times where you work 6-7 days a week. I'm sorry, anyone who thinks most people work like this is out of their mind. There's very few industries where you will see this kind of thing, and for some reason video game development is one of them.

For reference I am a Sr. DBA at a subsidiary of a very large company (one of the largest in the world)...40 hours a week most of the time. Sure, I stayed up until 3am last night helping the web team roll out an update during off hours, but this type of thing is rare. Sometimes I do overtime, hour here, hour there. Some weeks there is quite a bit of extra work...but I have never had a work week anywhere near what I hear game devs go through....and they do it for months at a time.

I guess making games isn't as fun as playing them...my point is these guys work hard as hell have a little respect and understanding of what these fine folks actually do.

*edit*

I actually wanted to be a game dev early on...then I read about the hours...then I saw the salaries...F THAT! The people who make games do it because they love it, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Edited by Renevent

People seriously want a sequel to this underwhelming and unremarkable game?

Please.

Oh, my. Other eople have different opinions than Morgoth. On the Obsidian boards. The horror. :p

(Meant as a joke)

That was a funny, and well deserved slap in the face. :lol:

Edited by bradleypariah

I'd want square enix be completely removed from any further production in the pc sector, they ruin whatever they touch.

I'd also prefer real pc games including mod-ability, offline play and above all steamless.

DS4/3 DLC/expansion, if they fix the fundamental flaws I'd be all up for it, not going to happen though, that much squeenix made sure of.

I'd want square enix be completely removed from any further production in the pc sector, they ruin whatever they touch.

I'd also prefer real pc games including mod-ability, offline play and above all steamless.

DS4/3 DLC/expansion, if they fix the fundamental flaws I'd be all up for it, not going to happen though, that much squeenix made sure of.

I would like to add to this a demand that the CEO of Square Enix issue an official apology before stepping down and quitting the industry forever. After this he should live on a deserted island as a hermit for the rest of his life and think about what he has done.

Also I demand that the production of all game consoles be stopped immediately as well as the production of any console exclusive or multiplatform games.

And a pony.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i em just wondering if there gonna ever make a dungeon siege 4 and if so they should have it for single player to be able to have all members atleast 4 in ur group not one and u should be abe to get more people to choose from and better gear gear sets and free roam more the main quests are fun but i want to see more odd quests and more open area adn longer game but i think it would be cool if u could have atleast 4 members with you at all time 4 or more i never seen a game rpg wise were u can have all party members at once with u that would be so cool to have always a small force with u anywere from 5 or more and be able to get items and make them better have diff classes and off course ur tank classes for offline some one plz get back to me and the more members u get in ur group the harder stuff gets u know offline ai that grows as u grow im thinking of more stuff like scouts rogues mages priests stuuff like that and i think that and a massive roam and quest chains more dragons and and creatures and off course ur soliders that dislike u to fight dragon age and dungean siege were aswome games but i want more more veriity . sorry my spelling sucks but u all get the concept make a aswome 2 player game or 1 idk i want it all and i beleave it would be a huge seller alot of people love the knight mid evil day games look at the movies lord of the rings huge movie huge seller just think u do more u get better gamers and more people to love playing rpg were u can roam fight help odd and main quest diff dicession were ever u go to choice and voice chat for the quests.

• 4 months later...

Probably been said, but DS4 needs to go back to being a dungeon siege game... you know... the games that started the series. Dungeon Siege is defined as a party-based action RPG. Replay the games 1 and 2. Those are the games that define dungeon siege. I'm not against the style of game that dungeon siege 3 is. In fact I love them. But dungeon siege is so much more. Its awesome to have 5 or 6 party members, all of different archetypes mowing their way through hordes of enemies. Archers and mages attacking/casting from a distance, sword and boarders tanking up close, melee DDs slashing away, healers buffing and healing comrades... c'mon, it's just epic. And you're in control of it all. It's like an MMO with you in control.

I think DS3 was simplified for consoles, but I would like to think there's enough ingenuity and creativity at obsidian that they could bring the full party back to DS4. And if that's just not possible to do on consoles, I hate to say it, but make it for PC only and do a different hack n slash game for consoles. We can't lose games like DS1 and 2, they're too important for the human race.

Don't focus so much on dialogue and quest text, just some simple exchange of words and onto more killing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

1. More detailed and broader skill tree with more options.

2. Richer story+ few more hours wouldn't hurt.

3. Smoother Animations.

4. Companion behavior, custom tactic for them so you have more control over what they do.

All in all DS 3 is a good enough game but gets boring after a while cause of all flaws and yes i would like to see a DS 4, can be very good if they change the some things from DS3.

I think after playing War in the North (Buggy but had a lot of potential) thats more the direction I'd like to see DS 3 go in. The overhead view just feels so restricted compared to WitN and the levels get quite repetative and feel overlong.

That said I found the DS3 characters more interesting (as someone mentioned I think being able to talk to them in a camp of sorts as you gain influence would be a good step) and the game system more varied.

I think DS3 with the WitN engine (minus bugs and with fixed save points) would just about be my ideal for an action RPG. But rather than have 3 characters on screen I'd stick with 2 and allow them to only be switched at a camp of somekind. The AI just can't do the workload of 2 actual people, but it's far easier to just "carry" one relatively inefective (compared to you) character. Of course if you want 3 on screen for MP only, that's fine and dandy. I just don't want to see the game designed around an AI "party".

I'd also like to see the loot system overhauled far too much random junk.

• 1 month later...

Things I would like to see in DS4:

-Simpler Requirements for PC version..... 2.67 GHz Duo core Processor and a 200 bucks Graphics Card to play this game?

-I wish the talent and skill trees were more developed, some of the skills arent worth getting or its just there for show, you just

get it because you cant move on without buying a skill from the skill window.

-I wish damage ratio vs. Hp ratio would be considered a bit more, unlike Lucas who has life steal and damage reducing or neglecting talents

the other characters should have a bit more "umph" to their defences.... they feel like a hot knife cutting through butter even when fighting 1v1

against trashy monsters, and since you cannot heal with potions or have a high efficiency healing skill, there should be a little make up right there.

If not then at least in the early parts of the game, make their skills mean some more than they already are.... to make it a bit more balanced.

-I hope SD4 will be a continuation of the Legion story from SD3 where they expand on the chronicles of the "old enemies" of the legion where they showed the wyverns/dragons at the end. Like something like, years have passed and the Queen has united the nation blah blah blah, Jeyne has fufilled her promise Blah Blah, the Radical Youth played some part again in the upcoming apocalyse and a different scenery to develop the new story of the ancient enemies.

-I wish Geomancy will be part of the "class skills" especially how Phineas seemed to make it look like he was determined to make it the backbone of the royalist empire.

-So the Alliance of the Archon, Meister and the Automaton army, the Legion, the Geomancer Royalist and possibly the Lescanzi witches and how the hold up against the once enemies of old =P.

I just cannot get the game mechanics here. I've played many years including Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 and I am just about to give up. I am nearly 50yrs old and I suspect age is against me. I a 100 different plus gamer. Always go to the end. This will be the first I have to give up.

I have never played console games and that perhaps is my problem always play PC. The camera stuff in this game is terrible, point and click to hit is also irritatiing and it seems I have found a game where age seems to be half my problem. The save points in my view are a bad innovation. Not being able to save half way through a big nasty battle kills me literally.

I just don't get it. Seems like a good game but I can't beat the monsters even on the casual setting. Every battle has been torture.

The fact that the walk throughs suggest it is easy to battle says I just am not up with this sort of game and its mechanics.

Rajani proves to be unbeatable for me. Get through the first battle and die in the second one. I reckon I have had 20 plus goes. In the end it is just too hard for me to be interested. Thought I would post something because I feel saddened.

Hope all RPG's don't go this way.

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the old dungeon seige 1 and 2 of leveling up characters maybe a combination of the original Dungeon Seige 1 & 2 and 3 for a new Dungeon Seige 4 . Cameras were a problem in version 3 maybe the freedom to travel anywhere in the Dungeon Seige 4 world as in Oblivion and Skyrim could be an answer there with a personal teleport system if character gets stuck anywhere in the virtual world. Also goblin weapons from Dungeon Seige 1 Goblin Lair level intergrated into version 4 would be a big plus glowing elite armour and glowing elite weapons as well . Loved some of the classical soundscape background music in dungeon seige 1 maybe again in version 4 as well would be a plus also as Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 are just around the corner the software engineers would have to do a pretty much flawless job or thereabouts to pull descent sales and get the interest of the games market maybe just go back to just only a pc version and maybe not console version because of all the problems and hastles from version 3 . I'm very much interested in seeing a Dungeon Seige 4 released some time in the future.

Edited by LORIKEETZ