What would you like to see in a Dungeon Siege IV?

I'd like the camera to have three settings, right now it doesn't zoom out enough and feels claustraphobic until you get used to it. It's especially a problem in coop because you're tethered to each other and it makes it hard to take out spread out ranged enemies. I'd also like an arrow showing the facing at the character base. Sometimes it's hard to tell where you're facing in the heat of the battle.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Yes me telling people they aren't starving and have cool jobs so they should strive to do better and make in depth games instead streamlining is so very insulting. Simma down mehbeh?

Are you 12? Because it sounds like you don't even remotly know what a real job can require of you and how the industry works. That people have it worse in other situations is a given. Everywhere. That doesn't make it suddenly right or wasy in all other situations.

Also, I'm now going to tell you something that may come as a shock to you. The world doesn't resolve around you. The world doesn't care **** about you. You ever thought about how different people can enjoy different things? And that maybe you don't hold the book on game design?

And that its not always possible or even advisable to do EVERYTHING. Like you seem to think is such "easy" work.

P.S I would like to see YOU as a low level worker in a gaming company. Will be interesting to see if you would like developing games so much if you went through the industry crunch.

P.P.S Just mentioning. I'm a farmers boy and currently a part-time office worker. Both of these have different pros and cons. Its all about the conditions you work in. My part-time job already threw me in situations that exhausted me more than farm work ever did. And the place I'm working in is actually something I very much enjoy too.

P.P.P.S People should of course always try to do better things. Thats progress. Doesn't mean you can do it regardless of the consequences or that there is only one way to do said progress.

Edited by C2B

I just tired of people using the word "streamlining" incorrectly.

I've found that on gaming forums, "streamlining" translates to "the game doesn't have features that *I* want", rather than the actual definition of the word.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just tired of people using the word "streamlining" incorrectly.

I've found that on gaming forums, "streamlining" translates to "the game doesn't have features that *I* want", rather than the actual definition of the word.

Exactly *high-five*.

This thread has pretty well lost its way.

I'm not sure why every thread seems to have the subtitle "or just ignore this heading and use this thread to record your random complaints about the game".

Indeed, I kind of wonder why people are taking their time (and others') to continually post their angst over the top of a community of folks interested in DS3.

*ahem*

what do I want from DS 4 - (Btw - really I want a full expansion for DS 3, but that isn't the question in this thread).

Camera & tethering stuff is a given (no point belabouring it).

I like the 4 unique characters as a concept, they have a lot of flavour, and feel like heroes from the get-go. Is it possible to customise roles a bit? Not sure how that sits with branding.

Keep the multiplayer levelling at the same time (all of our group digs that), BUT how to manage that AND change the "master/slave" multiplayer model? I wouldn't mind if I joined a game and got "de-levelled" to the lowest character - all the game has to do is record my equipped items and drop them again as part of other loot that gets dropped... (maybe makes hacking easier?).

IS there a different approach to dialogue than the multiple choice approach? Something that feels a bit more real there would be more immersing.

Honestly though, Dungeon siege has always been about a game that gets you in the action quickly and keeps it that way. I hope it keeps going.

I like the 4 unique characters as a concept, they have a lot of flavour, and feel like heroes from the get-go. Is it possible to customise roles a bit? Not sure how that sits with branding.

They should do a lot more with the concept both mechanically and narrativly. Its one of the things that was a little disappointing to me. I didn't expect completly different stories from the get-go, but a world that reacts differently on the several charachters. Some of that was there but it wasn't really fleshed out.

That's glossing over the differences. Playing with Anjali makes for a markedly different gameplay experience from playing with Lucas. The different abilities really force you to act differently. It isn't just bash attack and periodically heal until they're dead.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not really, they all play very similarly and choosing which characters to have in your group really make little difference. It might have been their intention to make each character so independent (and complete) which might be cool for some folks, my opinion is it kinda makes the group aspect much less interesting.

Edited by Renevent

Explain to me how Fall from Heavens and Vanguard's Strike play the same. Or how using Shield Pummel is the same as using Aura of Immolation. Not to mention that each character allows for different play styles. With Anjali I started by playing almost exclusively with ranged, single enemy attacks, staying away from the melee, while right now, I'm mostly using the melee stance and area attacks.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The all have the same basic types of skills and can be played all basically in the same way. They all are complete with AoE, direct damage, and healing to boot. In a group based game this makes the choices less interesting as there is no dependencies/deficiencies, so it really doesn't matter the choices.

Right now I am playing NWN:SoZ...now there's a game that has deep and interesting class interaction in a party...the differences and choices and what each character brings to the tables is meaningful, unlike Dungeon Siege 3. The previous DS game has this aspect done better as well.

If you can't understand what I am saying, don't know what to tell you. I've played the game and these are my opinions.

Being self-contained allows you to pick any character for your party, instead of being limited to whoever best complements you, which is important when your party is only 2. So there are pros and cons to it.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Indeed, I kind of wonder why people are taking their time (and others') to continually post their angst over the top of a community of folks interested in DS3.

I listed all kinds of suggestions about what I would want in DS4. My first choice is let the series die, but my second choice 20 suggestions to make the game better. I am far more of a contributor of ideas than you will ever be.

Also it isn't my fault this website is full of cry babies that can't handle criticism.

And C2B: game devlopers jobs are mentally challenging but also very stimulating for the mind as well. They get to do what they love and they want money for it. I just want them to work harder and add more to their games.

Being self-contained allows you to pick any character for your party, instead of being limited to whoever best complements you, which is important when your party is only 2. So there are pros and cons to it.

Oh yeah I get that, which is what I don't like about it. Instead of thinking carefully of how you want to create your party and how to create combinations that really compliment the members it really doesn't matter. Some people may like this, I don't. Choices in RPG's should be meaningful, an din my opinion they just aren't in DS3 (aside for the story based stuff which indeed is done pretty well).

And C2B: game devlopers jobs are mentally challenging but also very stimulating for the mind as well. They get to do what they love and they want money for it. I just want them to work harder and add more to their games.

They are already working harder than you could ever imagine. Also just because you like/love your job doesn't mean you love that job so much that 100% of your life should be dedicated to it. And that they should be thankful and not complain when it is.

Many Actors/Athletes/Musicians and so on love their job too. Yet their job still can break them down just like everyone else.

You don't even remotly know how it is to work hard anyway from your posts.

P.S Also like it was said before. These things you like the devs to "add" are maybe uninteresting to other people in favor of other things.

Edited by C2B

You are pretty ******** clueless when it comes to the gaming industry and how awesome it is to work in it. I don't know how going on crunch mode is stimulatin for anyone's mind. Nor how does "work harder" suddenly solve everything when we are talking about the people who work in the gaming industry and not at some part-time "come and go as you please" office job.

But keep on trolling. Too bad the ignore function doesn't really work when someone actually replies :o

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

Not really, they all play very similarly and choosing which characters to have in your group really make little difference. It might have been their intention to make each character so independent (and complete) which might be cool for some folks, my opinion is it kinda makes the group aspect much less interesting.

You are just saying that the game isn't just healer-tank-dps. That is good, because that model has been done to death. The roles are very different, and vary a lot depending on the type of fight, and even on the build (my human-focus Anjali plays a lot like a tank, while my friend's archon build is a savage glass cannon, relying on immolation when she gets overrun).

They are already working harder than you could ever imagine. Also just because you like/love your job doesn't mean you love that job so much that 100% of your life should be dedicated to it. And that they should be thankful and not complain when it is.

Many Actors/Athletes/Musicians and so on love their job too. Yet their job still can break them down just like everyone else.

You don't even remotly know how it is to work hard anyway from your posts.

P.S Also like it was said before. These things you like the devs to "add" are maybe uninteresting to other people in favor of other things.

You are pretty ******** clueless when it comes to the gaming industry and how awesome it is to work in it. I don't know how going on crunch mode is stimulatin for anyone's mind. Nor how does "work harder" suddenly solve everything when we are talking about the people who work in the gaming industry and not at some part-time "come and go as you please" office job.

But keep on trolling. Too bad the ignore function doesn't really work when someone actually replies :skull:

How are the sales and the post game support going for DS3? You guys getting any DLC?

Maybe if some of the people who advocated against all the streamlining prior to DS3 being released were listened to, then this game might have sold more copies.

Funny how you say my ideas are unintersting to people yet the reality is that Dungeon Siege 3 is uninteresting to people. It sold horribly, caused tons of fan outrage, got reviewed as OK by game critics, and has basically ZERO online community. Maybe you fanboys and Obsidian don't have very good ideas?

EDIT: You 2 little boys can STFU with the personal attacks too. My comments are about Dungeon Siege and Obsidian. I don't think Obsidian need you to defend them and their 'really really tough jobs'.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

How are the sales and the post game support going for DS3? You guys getting any DLC?

Maybe if some of the people who advocated against all the streamlining prior to DS3 being released were listened to, then this game might have sold more copies.

Funny how you say my ideas are unintersting to people yet the reality is that Dungeon Siege 3 is uninteresting to people. It sold horribly, caused tons of fan outrage, got reviewed as OK by game critics, and has basically ZERO online community. Maybe you fanboys and Obsidian don't have very good ideas?

Nice job changing the topic and trying to look smart doing it.

You're not.

Also at least the bolded part is proofable false. I usually find people online and at least on Steam it still averages 800-1000+ players at any given time a day. Not all playing online of course but there are still some players on.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Edit: I also never even remotly said that DSIII was a sales hit (though I hope it wasn't a real flop) or that it appealead to everyone. Thats never the case on any given title and especially by titles of certain devs/gernes.

Edited by C2B

(1) Maybe if some of the people who advocated against all the streamlining prior to DS3 being released were listened to, then this game might have sold more copies.

(2) Funny how you say my ideas are unintersting to people yet the reality is that Dungeon Siege 3 is uninteresting to people.

(1) Problem is that those people made themselves heard after the demo came out, and that was two weeks before the game was released. And even then, most of the comments were on the "OMG this is nothing like DS1 and DS2, this game sucks! You ruined everything, Obsidian! Again." side. Nothing constructive. As for the ones who had some ideas, they were basically asking to redo the entire game. In two weeks. Ah!

(2) Your ideas aren't uninteresting, but they can be pasted upon every RPG in existence, be it the Elder's Scrolls series, Bioware's games or Diablo series. You're basically asking for a RPG that will have every aspect of every sub-genre of RPGs, even those that could contradic each other. That's unrealistic and bad.

EDIT: You 2 little boys can STFU with the personal attacks too. My comments are about Dungeon Siege and Obsidian. I don't think Obsidian need you to defend them and their 'really really tough jobs'.

No

I do it because of my own values. Yes, I have problems when someone insults an industry with "They work not hard enough" especially when said industry constantly gets press about how much they are overworked. And I'm sure as hell going to call you out for it.

And furthermore. In the past month you have constantly hijacked threads and complained as loud as possible and at every oppertunity regardless of the threads intention (As in this case). Don't be surprised if people rush to Obsidians/the games/the industrys defense. Especially on an internet forum. Just as you rant against the game we can rant against you.

Edited by C2B

1. Change the subject

2. Call those who disagree with you "young boys"

Good comeback mate. But by all means stick to your fantasy of gaming industry being the happiest and most rewarding working environment ever.

Hate the living, love the dead.

1. Change the subject

Good comeback mate. But by all means stick to your fantasy of gaming industry being the happiest and most rewarding working environment ever.

I just want to know what this line of posts has to do with DS 4?

1. Change the subject

I just want to know what this line of posts has to do with DS 4?

Nothing. But there is a bigger history behind this over multiple threads.

And making a statement like "The Devs are lazy/don't work hard enough" (the moment actual people get insulted) while not having the slightest idea how that enviroment actually works will provoke an reaction.

Otherwise yeah, you are right we should get back on topic.

Edited by C2B