Mass Effect 3

"Are you really comparing the latest game of a developer to their decade old first try at RPG's?"

YTou are. Youa re claiming their older games are better when that simply isn't true.

"If the game wasn't better than BG1 that would be grounds for hara-kiri."

L0L But, you claim DA2 is their worst game ever .. now, youa re actually claiming DA2 is better thasn BG1. So, which is it? LMAO

"For the sake of other forum members I won't bring BGII, ToB and the series as a whole into this discussion and see how their late offerings compare to it. That would be really pointless as everyone's position on the issue is well known."

BG2 has many things that aren't done as well as BIO's newer games. IIRC, TOB was actually lambasted by many people as well.

"I hold that the only thing Bioware has released that's really fresh and original (up to a point) since the BG series are the Mass Effect games. Other games, like Jade Empire and Dragon Age are too flawed or derivative to consider."

JE, ME, and DA are ALL more frshs and original than the BG series. ALL OF THEM. BG is veryd eriative and flawed.

"KOTOR sucks. It sucked then, it sucks now. But its SW so no one cares and they play it anyway."

It doesn't suck as much as BG does.

But, you think people play it just because it's sSW? That's baloney. people play it b/c they like.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

DA2 > BG1 No contest.

Better characters, better writing, better story, better graphics, better music, better combat, better character system, plainly better anything.

Are you really comparing the latest game of a developer to their decade old first try at RPG's?

If the game wasn't better than BG1 that would be grounds for hara-kiri.

For the sake of other forum members I won't bring BGII, ToB and the series as a whole into this discussion and see how their late offerings compare to it. That would be really pointless as everyone's position on the issue is well known.

I hold that the only thing Bioware has released that's really fresh and original (up to a point) since the BG series are the Mass Effect games. Other games, like Jade Empire and Dragon Age are too flawed or derivative to consider.

KOTOR sucks. It sucked then, it sucks now. But its SW so no one cares and they play it anyway.

Way off topic, but BG1 WAS better than DA2. Graphics do not make the game. Many seem to have forgotten that these days, and kids just look for the latest eye candy.

Then again, I'm one of those that still play boardgames...

On to the boardgames...the following is video

Start/Select - ME3 unlocks! Grey Jedi coming to Old Republic!

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/start-select...all%3Btitle%3B6

Grey Knights heh...what the heck are grey knights?

PS Vita sales 'to forecast' in Japan

Sony's John Koller says company is not concerned with handheld's performance, staggered postlaunch support key.

The PlayStation Vita posted big numbers upon its December 17 launch in Japan, with Media Create reporting nearly 325,000 units made it to gamers in its first week of availability. However, that number fell off substantially into its second week, selling about 72,500 units according to Media Create, and just under 43,000 units by week three.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/ces2012/sto...&pid=927750

Not much desire to get the Vita...though Little Big Planet could convince me...

Here's something special for Boo:

Good effort and good luck to them once they get outside the dungeon. I really wonder how many of Bioware's recent offerings will get remakes a decade from now.

Way off topic, but BG1 WAS better than DA2. Graphics do not make the game. Many seem to have forgotten that these days, and kids just look for the latest eye candy.

Well I haven't even played DA2 (so I gave it the benefit of the doubt that it could be better than BG) but I can still play and enjoy BG1 and that makes it near the top of a very short list of games from that era.

Which boardgames btw?

@Volourn: BW worst game ever is without a shadow of a doubt Neverwinter Nights. Really, no contest there. You can hate on BG series as much as you want. Fact is, along with Fallout 1+2 and Planescape: Torment its the most talked about and admired RPG ever, and is popular even today. Observe, GOG's catalog of 300 games according to sales:

GOG.jpg

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Been watching that one for some time now, don't really believe they will finish it but I keep my eye on that one.

Well I haven't even played DA2 (so I gave it the benefit of the doubt that it could be better than BG) but I can still play and enjoy BG1 and that makes it near the top of a very short list of games from that era.

I've played DA2. Think it as a hamburger and BG1 as 12 years old whiskey and you have pretty good idea about the difference.

"Way off topic, but BG1 WAS better than DA2. Graphics do not make the game. Many seem to have forgotten that these days, and kids just look for the latest eye candy."

I remember those days. A lot more clearer than you apparantly. BG1 is NOT better than DA2. The only BIO RPG it is better than is... none, actually. Not even KOTOR.

": BW worst game ever is without a shadow of a doubt Neverwinter Nights. Really, no contest there"

Nope. it's their best game. Even taking the OC only, it's vastly better than BG1 or KOTOR1 as well.

"You can hate on BG series as much as you want. Fact is, along with Fallout 1+2 and Planescape: Torment its the most talked about and admired RPG ever, and is popular even today. Observe, GOG's catalog of 300 games according to sales:"

PST isn't talked about by anyone but a handful of people. The FOs are only taked about because of the newer games. GOG sales prove crap. NWN also sells pretty well on GOG despite still being avaialable in stores. And, PST is not the most admired and certainyl not the most talked about RPG ever. Are you joking?

You need to get out of the Obsidian-Codex-Troika crowd.

Don't embarass yourself.

P.S. That BG remake won't be finished.

Edited by Volourn

Good effort and good luck to them once they get outside the dungeon. I really wonder how many of Bioware's recent offerings will get remakes a decade from now.

Which boardgames btw?

A lot of different ones. My current collection is hovoring around 150.

My favorites would probably be games like Age of Steam, Silverton, War of the Ring, Conquest of the Empire, Powergrid, and Risk (yes, that one).

Most recently been playing a lot of an game called Eminent Domain. Pretty simple cards overall, but great gameplay.

Edited by greylord

My favorites would probably be games like Age of Steam, Silverton, War of the Ring, Conquest of the Empire, Powergrid, and Risk (yes, that one).

Most recently been playing a lot of an game called Eminent Domain. Pretty simple cards overall, but great gameplay.

I play Twilight Struggle, Race for the Galaxy and Dungeon Twister and RftG has a decent online implementation at en.boardgamearena.com . If you're interested in playing it sometime (I assume you know it since you're playing Eminent Domain) drop me a note sometime.

@ Volourn: The only way NWN could be considered a good game is if you voluntarily forget that any other RPG ever existed. Its embarrassing in this day and age to even mention that blocky mess of an introductory DnD scenario they tried to pass off as a game.

": BW worst game ever is without a shadow of a doubt Neverwinter Nights. Really, no contest there"

Nope. it's their best game. Even taking the OC only, it's vastly better than BG1 or KOTOR1 as well.

Saving this for the "stop lying, never said that" response in your next inevitable squabble.

• Like 3

I play Twilight Struggle, Race for the Galaxy and Dungeon Twister and RftG has a decent online implementation at en.boardgamearena.com . If you're interested in playing it sometime (I assume you know it since you're playing Eminent Domain) drop me a note sometime.

@ Volourn: The only way NWN could be considered a good game is if you voluntarily forget that any other RPG ever existed. Its embarrassing in this day and age to even mention that blocky mess of an introductory DnD scenario they tried to pass off as a game.

Used to play Race for the Galaxy all the time. Looked at Dungeon Twister 2, not certain to get it or not. What do you think of Dungeon Twister overall?

Handheld gaming has become completely pointless in this day and age.

Why throwing out 50 bucks for Vita game when you could get a big-screen game for the same money?

Otherwise, say hello to mobile/Pads gaming.

i totally disagree with handheld gaming being pointless, i love having top quality games available on my DS or psp. I usually spend a few weeks a year travelling, and having good games to keep me company is awesome, not to mention - sometimes i want to play games right before bed and its a lot more comfortable to play IN bed than out on the couch on a console or in my den on my pc.

however:

i think handheld gaming makes up about 10% of my total gaming time, and so i spend probably 10% of my gaming budget on it. which means that I DO agree that $50 for a game is too expensive, but most games, if you wait a year, can be found for $20 instead of $50, which is a much more reasonable price.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"Saving this for the "stop lying, never said that" response in your next inevitable squabble. "

Just make sure you keep it in context and not just random parts. R00fles!

Used to play Race for the Galaxy all the time. Looked at Dungeon Twister 2, not certain to get it or not. What do you think of Dungeon Twister overall?

I'm assuming you know at least partially what the game is about.

Well, the name is certainly misleading. There is very little of what you get in the dungeon crawl type board game. Its a brain burning - deeply strategic game with many given possibilities in a turn: several active characters with different abilities, a bunch of branching pathways on the board, opponent actions to consider, the rotate ability of the dungeon tiles, the limited allowance of action points to do all those things.

In the first few plays its very overwhelming. In fact, it still is because plotting out detailed plays is very hard and time consuming. Even the designer suggests the use of a timer.

However I like the strategic aspect, dicefest type dungeon crawl is not my cup of tea - all of that has been done on the PC and done better.

That said I appreciate the use of the theme and I think its still well conveyed regardless of the actual fairly abstract gameplay.

I mean, its two teams in a deadly ever changing maze made for the amusement of some arch mage or other. Thats the theme and its conveyed well when your brain isn't burning so much that you can turn your attention to it.Its very easy to learn, but I imagine very hard to play well.

I have the original Dungeon Twister, not DT: Prison and its generally accepted that the former is inferior in component quality to the latter. Its colorful but it won't turn any heads. However I read in a few places that the actual mazes and characters are better designed in the original, so that its overall a better game than DT:P. DT:P has more eye candy with the minis and a better designed insert, but if I had to choose again I'd still pick the original.

Its a medium to heavy experience, depending on player dedication, really well balanced for two players. Its made for people that enjoy a more cerebral take on fantasy games, that like labyrinths and directly competitive games. Its a game of almost pure skill with practically no randomization. I suggest you pick up the original for around 25$ if you can. That way you won't regret the purchase even if you don't like it in the long run, which could happen with the almost twice as expensive sequel.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536

Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)

Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?

Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?

Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?

During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?

Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm assuming you know at least partially what the game is about.

Well, the name is certainly misleading. There is very little of what you get in the dungeon crawl type board game. Its a brain burning - deeply strategic game with many given possibilities in a turn: several active characters with different abilities, a bunch of branching pathways on the board, opponent actions to consider, the rotate ability of the dungeon tiles, the limited allowance of action points to do all those things.

In the first few plays its very overwhelming. In fact, it still is because plotting out detailed plays is very hard and time consuming. Even the designer suggests the use of a timer.

However I like the strategic aspect, dicefest type dungeon crawl is not my cup of tea - all of that has been done on the PC and done better.

That said I appreciate the use of the theme and I think its still well conveyed regardless of the actual fairly abstract gameplay.

I mean, its two teams in a deadly ever changing maze made for the amusement of some arch mage or other. Thats the theme and its conveyed well when your brain isn't burning so much that you can turn your attention to it.Its very easy to learn, but I imagine very hard to play well.

I have the original Dungeon Twister, not DT: Prison and its generally accepted that the former is inferior in component quality to the latter. Its colorful but it won't turn any heads. However I read in a few places that the actual mazes and characters are better designed in the original, so that its overall a better game than DT:P. DT:P has more eye candy with the minis and a better designed insert, but if I had to choose again I'd still pick the original.

Its a medium to heavy experience, depending on player dedication, really well balanced for two players. Its made for people that enjoy a more cerebral take on fantasy games, that like labyrinths and directly competitive games. Its a game of almost pure skill with practically no randomization. I suggest you pick up the original for around 25$ if you can. That way you won't regret the purchase even if you don't like it in the long run, which could happen with the almost twice as expensive sequel.

It seemed a LOT like Drakon, which I already had, so a lot of hesitation on my part in regards to the game. I didn't realize the original was only $25 though, might pick it up and see if I like it and the differences between it and Drakon.

On actual Mass Effect 3, still disappointed that Origin is a requirement. Not surprising though.

Means I'll probably stick more to the PS3 version until they patch it up later...IF they patch it up with the install.

Lame attempt. You should've linked to Brian Mistoda leaving during Alpha Protocol development (though that still wouldn't be up to par with a lead designer leaving in the middle of development of a major title).

And where did that happen?

Drowsy, it be easier on you if you just posted the following on every page of a BIO trhead: "BIo sucks now!" People say I'm repetitive, but you are probably the most repettive guy on the baord except for maybe one other poster.

:lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Lame attempt. You should've linked to Brian Mistoda leaving during Alpha Protocol development (though that still wouldn't be up to par with a lead designer leaving in the middle of development of a major title).

In California, I presume. :lol:

Sounded like he was talking about Edmonton to me, but you're probably closer to the mark. :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I was talking about Brent Knowles.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.