Mass Effect 3

It means the unwashed masses, as opposed to the elite and discerning gamers we like to think we are.

Fixed.

If it wasn't for the nasty LCD developers would be making exactly the type of games I want.

:rolleyes:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

how many people played ME 1 and 2 and were like "damn why is this game got so much rpg stuff in it?! im not buying the last game in the trilogy unless they get rid of all these stupid skillz!!"

bioware is catering to the lowest common denominator, which is leaving me less than thrilled.

I found myself looking for the rpg stuff the entire game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It means the unwashed masses, as opposed to the elite and discerning gamers we like to think we are.

Fixed.

If it wasn't for the nasty LCD developers would be making exactly the type of games I want.

Actually, it only dawned on me later... I think this collectivist view a lot of you seem to share (whether you describe it in the sarcastic way posited by Hell Kitty above or in the ways you would see it yourselves) is probably the fundamental source of differences of opinion between myself and most of you guys. You view yourselves as representatives of an embattled group of defenders of "quality", under encroachment from gaming publishers all the more interested in achieving sales that people - to paraphrase Malcador's sig - having good taste and the will to put work into appreciating something alone are unable to provide. I suspect this collectivism is also the reason why similar opinions with near-identical phrasing get repeated so often - collectivist subcultures work like that.

While I don't even describe myself as a "gamer" when asked. I just like to play games, but don't think I belong to any group or subculture because of it. As I have little reason to view my position as threatened, I'm a lot more likely to view developments positively or at least take a "wait and see approach" to them.

Huh.

The lowest common denominator is not a particular group. It is the trait that all groups share.

I know the mathematical definition of it, but I doubt that is what people mean when using it on a gaming forum ;)

What right do we have to call ourselves nerds if we can't use math terms properly?

Nerd_Dork_Geek_Dweeb.png

Well here is a venn diagram to help clear things up.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

@Vol: grow a sense of humor

You should know Vol can't do that. The Vological mind is only capable of processing literal meanings of all that is read, heard, tasted, smelt and felt... Vol cannot help that he has no sense of humour. Its like saying walk to a man in a wheel chair.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The intro section from the leaked beta

Somebody has watched their War of the Worlds.. Gameplay looks identical to ME2 with little extra like ladders and jumping. If the music in the end is from Clint Mansell, I'm really happy they brought him along!

The bit with the kid was priceless. The music when the Normandy departs is pretty good for the scene, though. Also, the quote in my sig is mainly about programming (hence the source). For my elitism, I take Roberta Williams' view ;)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Vol: grow a sense of humor

You should know Vol can't do that. The Vological mind is only capable of processing literal meanings of all that is read, heard, tasted, smelt and felt... Vol cannot help that he has no sense of humour. Its like saying walk to a man in a wheel chair.

Wyh do you lie?!

R00fles!

Bioware goes after leaked Mass Effect 3 data. They even requested posts to be nuked from the sites such as Neogaf.com

You know, the stuff like this o:)

* CAPITAL SHIPS are Sovereign-class Reapers two kilometers in length.

They typically target the dreadnoughts, defense installations, and

industrial cities of organic civilizations. Experts believe the Reapers

harvest a single species of organics during each cycle of extinction to

create these massive ships.

* DESTROYERS are the 160-meter-long workhorses of the Reaper fleet. They

engage cruisers and other, smaller ships, as well as communications

posts and enemy command centers. Research suggests destroyers are

created from those species that are not harvested to make capital ships.

Weird.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

the reapers are like the borg mixed with the necrons, but not as intriguing as the first, or as cool as the second.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"An entire civilization of undying Omnicidal Maniacs carry out their star-god masters' desire to exterminate all living creatures, down to the last bacterium"

i dunno... necrons sound pretty cool to me.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So, I've heard (indirectly) some rather unsettling "leaked" ME3 info. Stuff like

the rachni show up and the genophage is cured regardless of any of your choices

. Go figure.

If this turns out to be true, BioWare is truly dead. So much for the "big, branching story spanning three games," eh?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Well for the Rachni it makes sense, depending on a choice in ME1 no ?

D'oh, misunderstood!

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well for the Rachni it makes sense, depending on a choice in ME1 no ?

That's the thing. It *doesn't* depend on your choices. It happens no matter what you do, even if you killed the queen.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

What I'm trying to figure out is how Kaiden and Ashley are both there. I never saw the choice to let both live in ME1? Or is that the default if you haven't played the other two...since they didn't seem to know each other at the beginning of the game? Or is one or the other a clone? Trying to figure that one out.

Yeah...so I watched the spoiler video on you tube...and brought about the spoiler question above.

"this turns out to be true, BioWare is truly dead. "

L0L Inconsistent in soemthing like this doesn't mean their dead. Theya re in fine shape.

"So much for the "big, branching story spanning three games," eh?"

ME series has moe C&C and mroe rpging than the overrated BG and BG2 9great game but not great in C&C department).

This silliness is disspaointing but end of the world and certainly not the end of BIO.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So, I've heard (indirectly) some rather unsettling "leaked" ME3 info. Stuff like

. Go figure.

It's entirely possible (or likely, even) that those are default choices and that any branching is not implemented properly in the beta. If everything were working properly it wouldn't be a beta, after all.

I haven't seen any vids (stuck on dial up until friday...) but my presumption was that the trial at the beginning of ME3 would be used to set up those switches for a new player, ie you'd get a bunch of "Why did you allow one of your companions to die" type questions.

I'm going to chalk these up to it being a beta, or just reports from those misinterpreting what they're seeing. The alternative is Bioware being dunderheads.

. Go figure.

It's entirely possible (or likely, even) that those are default choices and that any branching is not implemented properly in the beta. If everything were working properly it wouldn't be a beta, after all.

I haven't seen any vids (stuck on dial up until friday...) but my presumption was that the trial at the beginning of ME3 would be used to set up those switches for a new player, ie you'd get a bunch of "Why did you allow one of your companions to die" type questions.

There's definitely going to be a PS3 ME2 style "interactive comic" for setting the requisite flags.

I'm going to chalk these up to it being a beta, or just reports from those misinterpreting what they're seeing. The alternative is Bioware being dunderheads.

Yes. Any (further) Leliana style retcons would be pretty disastrous for their rep, I agree.

Yes. Any (further) Leliana style retcons would be pretty disastrous for their rep, I agree.

You mean the face change?

The it doesn't matter what you chose and who you killed in the last game, and even though you imported a save from that game we're still going to ignore it.

I came to a conclusion once after reading an interview with Avellone. To write and design RPGs well, you must be able to DM well. And if someone DMed a P&P RPG where the players killed an NPC only for it to spontaneously show up again, the reasonable response of the players is to throw dice at the DM or yell "ZOMBIE" and stab whatever showed up. Neither of these were options.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The it doesn't matter what you chose and who you killed in the last game, and even though you imported a save from that game we're still going to ignore it.

Ah, the DA2 cameo?