Mass Effect 3

Ewww at Ashley's model. Nose job and botox bath.

I'm not totally against the various game modes but it's highly unlikely that Bioware would use valuable resources for optional RPG / story content if they can get away with just pure combat. In the end, I think this is just another step away from RPG genre.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Isn't Ashley's hairstyle kinda getting in the way for an infantry combat unit? I always thought they have to shave the head.

Expecting hilarious answers

Not women, they have special powers that allows them to get by with just tying the hair up. Forced shave just for guys, true story from FDF. :p

(Couldn't do funnier, sorry)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Isn't Ashley's hairstyle kinda getting in the way for an infantry combat unit? I always thought they have to shave the head.

Not women, they have special powers that allows them to get by with just tying the hair up. Forced shave just for guys, true story from FDF. :p

I don't think they modeled the Alliance Army of ME after the FDF. But I thought they had tougher appearance rules in the US Army, or at the very least, for the grunts.

But whatever. I know it's just a game jadda jadda.

Not women, they have special powers that allows them to get by with just tying the hair up. Forced shave just for guys, true story from FDF. ;)

I don't think they modeled the Alliance Army of ME after the FDF. But I thought they had tougher appearance rules in the US Army, or at the very least, for the grunts.

But whatever. I know it's just a game jadda jadda.

Well, my point kind of was that women in armies are often subject to rather peculiar rules - even in the real life. I'm sure I could find some from, say, the US Army if I wanted to, but I went with one I know from personal experience.

While I suspect that the people claiming that the alternative settings mean that the rpg is now fully gone know that they are exaggerating, I think the practical effect is more a/b paragon/evil choices (as seen in the leaked video), so that the choices are determined in the ps3 me2 style opening comic. As for the whole thing being gone, the "story-heavy" godmode combat pretty much shows the opposite. :p

Well, my point kind of was that women in armies are often subject to rather peculiar rules - even in the real life. I'm sure I could find some from, say, the US Army if I wanted to, but I went with one I know from personal experience.

While I suspect that the people claiming that the alternative settings mean that the rpg is now fully gone know that they are exaggerating, I think the practical effect is more a/b paragon/evil choices (as seen in the leaked video), so that the choices are determined in the ps3 me2 style opening comic. As for the whole thing being gone, the "story-heavy" godmode combat pretty much shows the opposite. :p

Well the army does tend to be accommodating in order to boost numbers, I guess the reasoning behind it is that there is a higher chance of women joining if the don't look like Butch Cassidy when they get back. Personally I love girls that can pull off short hair and a spunky personality.

On BW new feature: it inspires me to try a new product, pre-finished coloring books. Just flip the pages and enjoy the pictures without ever having to spend hours coloring. It's the new thing I'll tell ya!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Personally I love girls that can pull off short hair and a spunky personality.

Me too.

I wouldn't be surprised if "action mode" was a prerequisite for being able to add more rig elements to the default game.

Late edit:

her bigger bulkier armor you can equip on her has her hair in a bun or at least pulled back.
Edited by Nepenthe

I think that's a pretty dumb idea and will only cause confusion among the Bioware fans.

Heh, but they are trying to appeal the CoD fans! And most of the Bio fans should be satisfied with tali in the game :)

I personally agree with greylord, the more options the better I think. I'm sure there's lots of players who will really enjoy the action mode.

...is that an option from the very start, or is normal the highest difficulty you can start/try it on?

I don't think those are difficulty options, and if they are, what's wrong with just easy-normal-hard?

Always trying to innovate where it isn't needed, huh, Bioware?

No, it allows for them to put back the RPG elements that they stripped out from ME2 to make it more approachable to dudebros (though I still think this was exaggerated, but...). If you can't see the difference between a coherent narrative without (constant) player input vs. picking dialogue choices at random, the problem's not at Bioware's end. :)

The more I think about this, the better a compromise it seems to me.

Isn't this completely superfluous? If you don't care much for the combat but like the story, why not just play on the easiest setting? And if you don't care for the story, you can always press random buttons and continue on. Unless, of course, people are too lazy to even click a button every now and then during conversation, I don't see the point of this.

No it's a selling point like electrolytes in Gatorade, it doesn't do anything that water doesn't but the placebo effects works wonders. I wonder how they will handle the automatic responses? It just makes me think that C&C its not going to be the selling point of this game.

I mean, will the guy who chooses to skip the story will automatically get the best result?

Edit: NVM, I just remembered that you can't really lose or make a wrong choice in ME...Unless you really work hard it.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Isn't this completely superfluous? If you don't care much for the combat but like the story, why not just play on the easiest setting? And if you don't care for the story, you can always press random buttons and continue on. Unless, of course, people are too lazy to even click a button every now and then during conversation, I don't see the point of this.

No it's a selling point like electrolytes in Gatorade, it doesn't do anything that water doesn't but the placebo effects works wonders. I wonder how they will handle the automatic responses? It just makes me think that C&C its not going to be the selling point of this game.

I mean, will the guy who chooses to skip the story will automatically get the best result?

The result will be tied more to what (missions) you do than what dialogue choices you pick - this is hardly news at this point. I suspect that you'll pick paragon/renegade in the beginning, and the game will autoselect responses based on that. If they even implement it at that level, it could well apply simply to more incidental dialogues etc.

When there's a switch flicked at the beginning, it'll allow for more significant branching.

Thanks I needed a confirmation. BTW anyone knows if Jeniffer "Hamburger" Helper has anything to do with this new feature? IIRC she was the one that started this fire back with DA2.

village_idiot.gif

Thanks I needed a confirmation. BTW anyone knows if Jeniffer "Hamburger" Helper has anything to do with this new feature? IIRC she was the one that started this fire back with DA2.

Doubtful, the "story" people have been loud in Bioware forums and similar locales since BG2 came out, at the very least, so it would kind of make sense to have a dedicated preset for them just as there's one for the "but I like Uncharted!" people. :ermm:

Could somebody explain to me what the "problem" here is? I mean, the more I think about it the clearer it is to me that this allows for them to add complexity to the system in a tiered manner. This could bode well for future DA iterations, where you'd have "awesome button mode", "mook mode" (for the people who just want to feel the NPCs watch them) and "genuine RPG mode".

Doubtful, the "story" people have been loud in Bioware forums and similar locales since BG2 came out, at the very least, so it would kind of make sense to have a dedicated preset for them just as there's one for the "but I like Uncharted!" people. :ermm:

Could somebody explain to me what the "problem" here is? I mean, the more I think about it the clearer it is to me that this allows for them to add complexity to the system in a tiered manner. This could bode well for future DA iterations, where you'd have "awesome button mode", "mook mode" (for the people who just want to feel the NPCs watch them) and "genuine RPG mode".

Well, the problem is that democracy blows for minorities. So if the industry continues to risk nothing and perpetuate successful practices until they're spent we are going to be seeing a lot of this. I don't know your opinion but myself I think that games have dropped in quality since 2009, partly due to many failed business practices that have ended up stagnating the industry.

This new "story" mode is akin to (quoting an earlier post) a coloring book that comes already finished. You take the gameplay out of a game and you're left with nothing.

But none of this comes as a surprise since for a while now I've suspected that BW was going to begin doing the Western equivalent of visual novels, a "game" with no or little gameplay and false choices (the major ones being who's sex scene you get). Because apparently that's what their audience wants, romanceable everything, a guaranteed win, and story climaxes without buildup.

village_idiot.gif

Something that does stand out amongst those options to me is that it defines those options. The Story mode let's you make choices and play on minimal difficulty, the Action has pre made choices (my guess is actually what occurs in the "default" story), and the RPG mode lets you make choices and play on normal difficulty. The question is if there are MORE character choices to make in story mode, or if there are more character choices in available at all as those options don't mention character building in it. Will the character building be more non-existent in story and Action mode and be existent in RPG mode...or how is it?

I'm perhaps a touch surprised to say I agree with Nepenthe, at least if it is as presented. The reservation would be if it's some sort of stalking horse for "only 5% of people used RPG mode so we're cutting it in future". So long as it remains formalising pre-existing game play choices I see no reason to object- people already click through dialogue or turn difficulty to easy to rush combat, or turn on auto-levelling, after all.

The fact that it just opens the files as it scans the disk the first time doesn't mean it's benign. First, just it being aware of the existence of some files might be a problem. Secondly, the fact that it doesn't read the files the first time doesn't read that it won't read them later, or on a schedule set by the system's controller. The same goes for sending data back to the server: the fact that it hasn't uploaded any data doesn't mean that it won't upload any data at any point in the future.

The statements made by that guy on Reddit make me think that he either has no clue about computer/network security or he's a shill.

Heh, read that at the codex, couldn't be bothered replying.

Problem is that by that measure any program at all that connects to the internet is potentially dodgy; which is true, but only in the same sense as saying that 100% of people who breathe air will die. It may not have done anything nefarious yet but it might in the future!!1!!! is a hopelessly shonky argument. My neighbour owns a rifle, he hasn't shot me with it yet but he might in the future, etc. All that can be shown is that there is no evidence of malfeasance now and that the original accusation of reading tax records was rubbish from someone who didn't understand what his monitoring software was actually saying. And that is how it remains until someone actually proves otherwise.

Well, at least we can make fun of people if they choose anything less than 'RPG mode', right ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra