Mass Effect 3

i've been using steam since half life 2 was released and have never ever once even for a moment had a problem turning on (and staying in) offline mode. just patch your games, then switch to offline mode, and bam, you never have to go online again until you choose to switch back to online to buy a new game.

it works 100% every time.

i used steam for about 2 years straight in offline mode before deciding to switch to online mode to buy games during a christmas sale a couple years ago (i've since kept it online most of the time, unless im wanting to stream something on my laptop while playing games, so i'll switch back to offline for a few days - it always works)

I know other people have problems, but i have to assume its a user error or something...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I had huge issues with Steam in offline mode, but awhile back they switched something and it became way more stable and responsive.

Origin really isn't that bad, it isn't quite as smooth as Steam but it is close enough. I just don't like needing two different services to access games, but I will live with it for now.

Back when my ISP was unreliable and internet would be unavailable for a few days at a time. It would save the offline information as it was supposed to and seemingly work a few times and then suddenly try and connect to steam when I launched the game anyway and I would get the dreaded 'game not currently available' thingie.

I don't know if steam got better or I don't notice it because my connection is a lot more stable. But it certainly has not been without problems in the past.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

that sucks, once i set up steam to go offline, i've never had it just decide to try and go online again.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

that sucks, once i set up steam to go offline, i've never had it just decide to try and go online again.

Did you have a stable internet connection during that time? I just wonder if offline mode isn't deceptively checking in or something, because I had a sketchy connection like Gorgon in the past and had the same problems he did.

hmm, maybe it worked because my computer wasn't connected to the internet at all, so steam never even bothered trying to connect? i thought it was just a completely seperate mode. i have to re-start steam completely if i want to switch from offline to online mode.

edit: maybe that was a setting i chose years ago and never thought of since?

Edited by entrerix

I was watching the ME3 E3 gameplay stuff again yesterday and then I've noticed, that they say Cerberus is working together with the Reapers. I always thought this was just a joke when people talked about it... but now... it is true?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I was watching the ME3 E3 gameplay stuff again yesterday and then I've noticed, that they say Cerberus is working together with the Reapers. I always thought this was just a joke when people talked about it... but now... it is true?

From various things around, it sounds more like Cerberus are infected to a degree with reaper tech , much in the way that husks are. Or at least some of the higher echelon are, but I don't think they've given specifics of whats what just yet.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

From various things around, it sounds more like Cerberus are infected to a degree with reaper tech , much in the way that husks are. Or at least some of the higher echelon are, but I don't think they've given specifics of whats what just yet.

Enoch and Malcador beat you guys to it :grin:

Maybe they got taken over by some Reaper mind control thing. Yeah.

My 'why not' guess explanation: TIM has always been on the side of the Reapers. But the Reapers aren't monolithic. The Reaper handling the Collectors was part of a splinter group, going off the reservation with their "human reaper" experiments. TIM, allied with the main horde, was working towards the same goal via a different path-- making Shep into badass zombie cyborg. That he could test this badass zombie cyborg by using it to capture/destroy the work of a rival Reaper faction was a nice bonus. There is, as I see it, a certain similarity between both the Collectors' and Cerberus' pre-ME2 activities (sampling different weird galactic species and experimenting on them, etc.).

Ah yes, makes sense. It's the faction that wants to build bigger and bigger reapers versus the faction that wants to build small, flexible Sheperd sized reapers. He is the 'prototype' without knowing it, getting pitted against the evolutionary dinosaurs of Reaperdom. There can be only one :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh no. In ME3, my Shepard probably will start getting evil visions then and must try to keep his secret reaper genes in control. I can feel it already.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Maybe he discovers and then merges with the Reaper Control Mind.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What else would you call it. 99% of playtime is concerned with shooting things.

Uh, third-person shooter?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

99% of playtime is concerned with shooting things, but sure whatever, we can call it an RPG.

Which of course raises the age old (yet to be solved unequivocally?) question, what is an RPG? :)

rpg.gif

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A demo? For a game? In 2012? Now this makes me highly curious about the games quality.

/Edit: Ah, I see. It's probably just a way to push their Origin software a bit faster.

Edited by Lexx

RPG kaboom tank.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.