Deus Ex 3

This means you often have to kill people even if you are trying for a non lethal approach.

No you don't.

It's very unsatisfying to sneak up on someone and then have a red flashing error message.

The first energy pip regenerates. You avoid this scenario by waiting.

Apparently you can't lift your arms without expending two points of energy.

Are you trying to do a double takedown? I don't have that aug, but single takedowns only use one energy pip, and you always have one.

I really dislike the takedown system as well. Not only does the cutscene thing feel kinda clunky and weird to use (especially when you're sneaking around), the use of energy bars feels so damn artificial. Like I said before, I can see why they wanted to do it because the game would be really easy to just takedown everything but even so. It's a bit lame.

Really miss a melee weapon system.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I never actually killed anyone with a takedown, didn't see the point. Maybe it's just that don't have much energy, but I run out constantly. If you say it takes one pip I'll take your word for it. It's still a bad mechanic though. When I get my energy bar maxed out, it will just be annoyingly easy rather than anoyingly hard.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

No Deus Ex for me it seems, Game's website is shafted and their customer service phone line is down for upgrades...

It's like a conspiracy against you. :bat:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When I get my energy bar maxed out, it will just be annoyingly easy rather than anoyingly hard.

The difficulty is in the approach. It's not like it's hard to shoot a guy in the head from across the room with a silenced pistol or stun gun. Why should it be so much more difficult to take them down once you've snuck across the room to him?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Mwauh-Hah-Hah!

My copy arrived this morning so I installed and started playing a little past 11am. Jumped straight into "Deus Ex mode" difficulty. And here I am just a little past 4pm and I've only just entered the Detroit hub because I stealthed slow and spent time exploring options through that first post-augment mission....

I'm bout as giddy as a schoolboy. :bat:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I like the takedown mechanic. You have to be more strategic than just sneaking around knocking everyone out quickly. Sometimes I'll knock a guy out, drag him away, recharge and then knock another guy out.

Also the two person knockout aug is cool.

Plus you have stun guns and tranq rifles, not to mention that Pep gun that blows folks back. The only person I've killed was the boss, and I turned a turret on which killed some folks. I also somehow killed a banger with a tranq gun, I'm not sure how that happened. Maybe I hit his eyeball.

I also somehow killed a banger with a tranq gun, I'm not sure how that happened. Maybe I hit his eyeball.

Quest to knock out Double-T. The one in front of the apartment? Happens to everyone. It's a bug. Some have reported that he can be waken up by patrols, so that he might not actually be dead. Others have reported getting a game over due to a similar bug on a mission where they weren't to kill anyone.

Everything else is fantastic though. Don't dawdle to the first mission, by the way :bat:

If you hurry too fast, I've heard that you can miss the first sidequest. Be sure to check Jensen's e-mail. I don't know if it's necessary for that sidequest, but it is related. If you hurry, you can check out the three related offices with no time problem.

If you don't do it before the mission, it develops further after the mission, just check your office once you're back

AFAIK you can't finish it before the first mission?

Do I get a XP penality if I kill somebody instead of just applying a non-lethal takedown?

Also, the stun gun makes too much noise. Not very uselful in a crowded warehouse.

You don't get a penalty, but you don't get the merciful soul bonus. And takedowns get you an expedient bonus.

Stun gun is pretty quiet for me.

Damn, forgot to activate the bonus stuff before starting the game.

Didn't get the bonus money and explosives, but I hope I still get the Tong mission.

I got a pop-up telling me about the bonus stuff being in my game at the beginning if the Sarif mission, so if you haven't seen that in your game then you're out of luck.

Edited by Hell Kitty

What bonus stuff ?
A bonus mission, a grenade launcher after said mission, 1-2 explosives and cash.

Damn, forgot to activate the bonus stuff before starting the game.

Didn't get the bonus money and explosives, but I hope I still get the Tong mission.

I got a pop-up telling me about the bonus stuff being in my game at the beginning if the Sarif mission, so if you haven't seen that in your game then you're out of luck.

Have to replay the whole beginning then, great. >.<

I like the takedown mechanic. You have to be more strategic than just sneaking around knocking everyone out quickly. Sometimes I'll knock a guy out, drag him away, recharge and then knock another guy out.
Yea, realism is important but they put the game-play over it...the resource management adds strategic factor. I like this game so far. The game-play is well-thought in various ways.

Conversation mechanics was a mystery but, as it turned out, basically, each NPC has base his/her character but their responses have some random factor (psychological state), which makes the players to listen to them carefully - Nicely done with the moderate random factor. The beauty is that the players are still choosing from a few choices and all of them are equally convincing but the system makes the players to think which choice would be most effective to this particular NPC, at the moment.

Also, sneak play is quite well done within the limited resources...like other game-plays...I don't know much about combat since that's what I am avoiding, though. I'm using tranquilizer and take-down but don't find a problem yet. You know the drill...keep your eyes out, checking possible routes...as the loading screen says, the best route may not be apparent.

All in all, I like the fact this game makes me think before taking actions. I always thought trial and error stealth can be nicely combined with RPG and I guess I'm seeing a good example. The relatively long loading time is a shame, though.

The one downside to the resource mechanic is that it feels penalizing to have more than one battery. This devalues all battery upgrades except faster regen, as a result.

I know I'm not the only one, but I've not had more than a single battery charged since the first enemy in the first mission. Takedowns become too expensive when they get rid of a limited resource. Same for punch-through-walls. And then once that resource becomes unlimited, you're not really wanting to go back.

I might eat an energy bar later if I really really need to use cloak for more than 4 seconds. But that's the only reason I can see for it. I'm thinking that all bars need to recharge, even if depleted. Just slowly. That way there's some actual value there for more regular use.

It's pretty good, I didn't know we had technology that good today.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yes, I was surprised that the second battery didn't recharge, I almost felt like I wasted a praxis point on that. Thankfully the praxis points haven't been too hard to come by, although there are a lot of tough choices to make in how you spend them. So far my best investment has been the jumping one, followed by the double takedown and the various points I've put into hacking.

I'm also starting to get much better at the hacking game. It's a decent minigame.

Yes, I was surprised that the second battery didn't recharge, I almost felt like I wasted a praxis point on that. Thankfully the praxis points haven't been too hard to come by, although there are a lot of tough choices to make in how you spend them. So far my best investment has been the jumping one, followed by the double takedown and the various points I've put into hacking.

I'm also starting to get much better at the hacking game. It's a decent minigame.

The hacking is actually pretty challenging, I'm about 12 hours in, and only starting to grasp it's intricacies.

Apart from that, GOTY. Amazing to see a novice studio make a game this... perfect, when seasoned veterans can't quite get it right. May Eidos Montreal enjoy a prosperous future, and keep making games that sure as hell aren't Pg13'd for maximum appeal.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Apart from that, GOTY. Amazing to see a novice studio make a game this... perfect, when seasoned veterans can't quite get it right. May Eidos Montreal enjoy a prosperous future, and keep making games that sure as hell aren't Pg13'd for maximum appeal.

Just get that 4 out of Thief's title. Please?