RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Well then, that's worth snark I guess. Carry onward.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's not really, Spector has just run into the inevitable fact* that if you want to make games with a decent budget then you will have to do what the people with that money want. In any case there's a fair bit of difference between Purkake Memory Spector and Real Spector:

"So I signed on with Looking Glass, worked briefly on Thief: The Dark Project (though my impact on that title was, at best, minimal)" and he always gave primary credit on SS to Doug Church (and the rest of the team) from Blue Sky/ LGS. Deus Ex though, is a given.

*Happened best part of a decade ago really, given DXIW.

At least there isn't any story/continuity to ruin and it's hardly the first bad X-COM game.

With all the mobile platforms and whatnot out there, people should really be making more turn-based strategy games. It's not like they require precise controls or crazy graphics. I'm look at you, Eastern Europe.

But but but they made turn based games just because they couldn't program AI to behave properly back then ... :):bat:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

That's where the line is drawn, you can either make small budget games that push the medium and work up from there or make boring by-the-numbers mediocre cash cows. I'm personally just disappointed that he went with the second option.

At least he's not claiming to be some great innovator like certain other "star developers".

@Majek: It's not like they can program it better these days...

Edited by Purkake

I'd say Epic Mickey is a pretty awesome concept, actually. The artistic design and edgy treatment of a rather simple kid's character is very cool. Unfortunately it is made for the Wii, which no one plays, and it apparently has some major control issues.

If it was on the PC I'd buy it day one.

Yep, there are far worse things he could have done apart from EM.

I have a fair bit of sympathy for Spector not going the 'indie' route as he has had his own company, and had it fail despite the titles he was primarily responsible for being successful. It's rather like the primary Troika guys going to Turbine, Blizzard and Real Estate once their company went under- I'm sure that in a perfect world pretty much everyone would like to be making the game(s) of their dreams in their own studio, free from corporate interference, and dream games almost always sound great. But sometimes one has to accept that reality trumps dreams and the prospect of working effectively for nothing for an unspecified time with an uncertain return is going to appeal to a very limited number of people, almost always those trying to make a name rather than those who have already made one.

Good on them when they try, and certainly good luck, but I wouldn't criticise them for something I almost certainly wouldn't do myself.

I'd say Epic Mickey is a pretty awesome concept, actually. The artistic design and edgy treatment of a rather simple kid's character is very cool. Unfortunately it is made for the Wii, which no one plays, and it apparently has some major control issues.

Actually a lot of people play the Wii. Very few people buy games for the Wii, because there simply aren't a lot of games and because a large part of the Wii install base is not the type to buy core games.. or games indeed, with the exception of stuff like Zumba fitness.

Actually a lot of people play the Wii. Very few people buy games for the Wii, because there simply aren't a lot of games and because a large part of the Wii install base is not the type to buy core games.. or games indeed, with the exception of stuff like Zumba fitness.

The WII also has some exceptional titles, though. Like Xenoblade now. Probably one of the best JRPGs ever.

Edited by C2B

@Majek: It's not like they can program it better these days...

Oh i know- That's what the emoticons represent. A realization that they can't do that and still use it as an excuse. :no:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Not much news, but very interesting read indeed...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08...going-indie.ars

looks like we have interesting times comming soon!

:no:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not much news, but very interesting read indeed...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08...going-indie.ars

looks like we have interesting times comming soon!

:(

Great Article. I think some of this is coming to a fore quicker than later...for example, the entire comparisons between Torchlight 2 (independant) and Diablo 3 (Big Publisher). Ironically, the TL people USED to be the small time publishers and developers that made the company a Big Time publisher which was then published by an even bigger publisher....and NOW they are once agian a small time/Indie and seen as competing against their old baby...who is now owned by a Big publisher....

How times change and get all convoluted. That's just the tip of the iceberg...tons of indie games out there...some great...some not so great.

Will it still have graphic novel cut scenes?

I think I remember a preview mentioning that they're doing some animated in-engine cutscenes in that style.. so not quite, but something similar.

One can hope it'll be good, though it sure seems like a weird sequel so far. Hopefully it'll keep the noir-esque tone and it won't be another peek-a-boo shooter.

I like the second screenshot. I'll stay in the 'It will suck' camp for the moment though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Two new Max Payne 3 screenshots

Looks good, wish there were some gameplay movies. But with 5-6 years development time, this better be good.

It's not done by Remedy -> It sucks.

You mean the same guys that made the totally average Alan Wake?

Gimme break.

Hard to say where Rockstar is gonna take Payne this time, but I do like the look of him. He looks a bit older and more tired.

Trivia: Rockstar Vienna worked on MP3 from June 2005 to May 2006, then Vancouver took over. Well if Take 2 knew it would take them Canadians so long to deliver, I wonder....

Edited by Morgoth

alan wake had terrible terrible gameplay. it was like playing the original silent hill, with no atmosphere, no art direction, no scares, and no good music.

so yeah. not a fun game.

max payne 1 and 2 were great, but i think a good sequel is not really in the cards. would be happy to be wrong though

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm excited about Max Payne 3 as Rockstar's games have been incredible lately. As for Remedy, I rather liked Alan Wake. I thought the combat had a good flow to it. That said I'd agree that the game just wasn't scary, which was a shame.

Entrerix... as for 'no good music'... I beg to

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I don't like gross games, so it was good for me. Edit: AW also comes with a bunch of great songs as extras, including Space Oddity.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan