Cars!

Calax

Ok, so I've been watching a small pile of Top Gear, And I have a question slightly created by that, and partly created by my hunt for a car for Iowa.

Why should somebody avoid Rear wheel drive if they're going into icy areas? I know that there's the whole "well there's no weight on the back" but that can be remedied (which most people out here do anyway).

Also, I just want to say, I want a Mustang.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was in a Mustang for a few minutes. With such a huge backdrop of experience, I can tell you that you really can't see anything due to how small the windows are.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ok, so I've been watching a small pile of Top Gear, And I have a question slightly created by that, and partly created by my hunt for a car for Iowa.

Why should somebody avoid Rear wheel drive if they're going into icy areas? I know that there's the whole "well there's no weight on the back" but that can be remedied (which most people out here do anyway).

May I helpfully suggest that you solve the above problem by filling the rear of your car with floozies?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Essentially, having the wheels that provide power to the car also be the ones that tell it the direction you want it to go is helpful in slippery situations. Even if you weigh down the back of a rear-drive car (and Wals has the right idea in terms of ballast), the back wheels getting traction doesn't necessarily mean that the front wheels won't decide to slide instead of rotate in the direction you point them.

That said, rear-drive cars are far more fun to drive when conditions are reasonable. And driving on packed snow or ice can easily be avoided in most parts of the continental U.S. with sufficient planning. Just keep an eye on weather forecasts, and try to live within walking distance of work, school, and/or public transportation to such. Also, keep a supply of canned food, liquor, and good books in your house. Even if you can't manage a non-driving commute, unless you're in New England or somewhere subject to Great-Lake-effect snowstorms (and even in those places, the tough weather is offset by their having the best snow-removal road crews in the country), the situations when you absolutely have to drive in terrible conditions will be pretty rare. That's what sick time is for.

I'm in Iowa.

I was looking at BMW's before I got my current Acura and my dad and all his friends decided to dissuade me because "You're going to Iowa! There's Snow! Get a front wheel drive!"

(My integra is a 1998 hatchback with a V4 and a 1.5L engine)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Also, keep a supply of canned food, liquor, and good books in your house.

Agree with all Enoch says .But stress the above. Sensible at all times, and for all people.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

RWD cars in winter is just fine. You might find an uphill road here and there that you wont be able to get up, but other than that its alright. And 2005+ Mustangs are pretty and sound very nice, so who cares? My friends brother has a 2006 V8 and we're in bloody sweden, the snow-coloured hell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "