Did there was a plan for a split screen in MP

I read on dungeonsiege3 under features:

Split screen offline

As I see, this wasn't implemented in the game (so this should be removed I think, but no one would only rely on the publishers site, so it isn't that much of a problem :shifty: ). But I'm interested, if in earlier development there was a split screen but perhaps it had come to problems.

My opinion of DS 3:

• positive
  • I like the fighting system a lot! The characters and their abilities are awesome! It is so nice to switch this stances.
  • The design of healing through orbs and abilities is tactically very interesting.
  • A story that isn't the casual one is to my liking and I think this game is at least a bit special at this point (not played through yet).
    not that positive ;)
  • The documentation is gruesome: The explanation of the orb beneath the portrait only appears a few seconds for example and so there isn't a good tutorial there.
  • Even if it could make things a bit harder for weaker PCs, it should be allowed to zoom deeper and rotate the camera more in the vertical to look at this beautiful world!

(16.08.2011)

So, I think the question is more or less answered in the Obsidian blog.

rafoca asked:

You guys seem to know a lot of how co-op works and DS3 is a proof of that, but why the decision on the shared screen?

A couple of things. First, we knew we were going to do local multiplayer, and we didn?t want to use split-screen for both technical reasons and because trying to parse what?s going on in DS3 when you?ve only got half a screen worth of space would be pretty chaotic.

So, for local multiplayer, we knew we were going to have a shared screen. That given, there was a substantial technical and art cost in allowing users to separate, and we?d only be able to let them do so in remote multiplayer. Given the kind of game we were making, we couldn?t justify using our time on that feature and thus not spending it somewhere else.

So it is about time and about money I think.

For me it is a pity, that Obsidian didn't got more time to make the game a masterpiece. In the momentary state it is very good I think and it makes a lot of fun to explore the world. But without a full local-coop experience for me.

My opinion of DS 3:

• positive
  • I like the fighting system a lot! The characters and their abilities are awesome! It is so nice to switch this stances.
  • The design of healing through orbs and abilities is tactically very interesting.
  • A story that isn't the casual one is to my liking and I think this game is at least a bit special at this point (not played through yet).
    not that positive ;)
  • The documentation is gruesome: The explanation of the orb beneath the portrait only appears a few seconds for example and so there isn't a good tutorial there.
  • Even if it could make things a bit harder for weaker PCs, it should be allowed to zoom deeper and rotate the camera more in the vertical to look at this beautiful world!

(16.08.2011)