3D Gaming

Serrano

I'm about to get a new PC and I've been looking into 3d gaming. I've done some research but I'm not really getting the kind of information I'm after to decide if it's worth the money for the equipment and a card capable of doing it well. If anyone here has any experience with 3d gaming can you please post a little about what it's like and whether it's still a big deal once you get used to it.

If you are a person who likes to try tech gears before anyone, you can satisfy yourself to some extent as an early adopter. Otherwise, it would be wise to wait till the tech gets mature and popularized. For, it is quite often the case that once such new devices are popularized enough, the price drops. Why not search the net with some key words such as "product life cycle"? For the general idea can be said to any new product. In the IT industry, the cycle is very fast as you can see the price drops of game soft.

Yeah, would wait at least until the graphics vendors at least pretend to agree on a standard for the tech. Personally if I was looking to "broaden my gaming horizons" - forgive the marketer-speak - I'd plump for the old fashioned larger screens, bigger speakers and comfier chair. :rolleyes:

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The big manufacturers are grouping together for some 3d glass standards etc. I'd say that anyone adopting before those become universal is about to get seriously hammered.

On a personal level, I have near-perfect vision (including having to dig out a separate table with smaller letters from the storage for my driver's license), and I don't particularly enjoy wearing glasses. 2d is good enough for me, and I'll look at eyefinity type setups long before I'll consider going 3d.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I personally can't use 3d glasses without getting a headache, and I know a few others that feel the same way. I just don't see it becoming standardized with that issue.

I seem to remember that about 1 in 20 will experience headache (detrimental to the experience) with our current 3D tech, as in dual colour + glasses. If that's true I think companies can live with 5% not being able to use their product.

Fortune favors the bald.

I have a really nauseous sense of deja-vu here. Also, it took me about 10 minutes to work out you people 3D, not... uh, 3D.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I personally can't use 3d glasses without getting a headache, and I know a few others that feel the same way. I just don't see it becoming standardized with that issue.

I seem to remember that about 1 in 20 will experience headache (detrimental to the experience) with our current 3D tech, as in dual colour + glasses. If that's true I think companies can live with 5% not being able to use their product.

Really? That seems like a pretty large percentage to alienate. I know I'm biased, but in order to become the standard, I would think they would want that closer to 1%.

What I mean by standard is like DVD's, HDTV's, and flat screens. These technologies are now the norm. I can't see glasses , 3D TV's, and 3D DVD's becoming anything but a popular niche.

It's only gonna take off if they figure it out without the glasses. Too much of a hassle.

And maybe not even then. As it is now its just a gimmick, in most cases put there to distract you from really thinking about how bad the movie you're watching is.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.