Does how you distribute points into abilities, proficiencies and talents make a difference for your companion(s)? Seeing as how the game AI controls them and determines when/how they use their abilities, I'm thinking that it won't make a huge (if any) difference. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear what others have done. I just had Reinhart Manx join my party, but I haven't activated him so I'm assuming that he's at level 1. As soon as I make him an active companion then I'll have to pick his abilities and proficiencies.

• 4 weeks later...
Does how you distribute points into abilities, proficiencies and talents make a difference for your companion(s)? Seeing as how the game AI controls them and determines when/how they use their abilities, I'm thinking that it won't make a huge (if any) difference. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear what others have done. I just had Reinhart Manx join my party, but I haven't activated him so I'm assuming that he's at level 1. As soon as I make him an active companion then I'll have to pick his abilities and proficiencies.

The first time I played I also got confused about AI companions' proficiencies/talents, but after having each one for a while I noticed that:

Anjali : almost always summons fire jackals before battles ; goy kinda frustrated when I allocated her proficiency points in pillar of fire and she didn

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the best results when I've allocated points into whatever my companion uses most. The AI seems to be a little bit adaptive, depending on what character you've chosen. Anjali paired with Lucas uses a lot more of her fire-form abilities, and with Reinhart, she's almost always in human form. With Kat, she flickers in and out between forms.

Anjali : almost always summons fire jackals before battles ; goy kinda frustrated when I allocated her proficiency points in pillar of fire and she didn

I've had the best results when I've allocated points into whatever my companion uses most. The AI seems to be a little bit adaptive, depending on what character you've chosen. Anjali paired with Lucas uses a lot more of her fire-form abilities, and with Reinhart, she's almost always in human form. With Kat, she flickers in and out between forms.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting-- this go-round with Reinhart, she's using a ton of Spinning Kick (she went nuts with it on a cyclops not that long ago this playthrough, six in a row, and got stuck in the pose), Hurl Spear every once in a while, and she's used Fall From the Heavens three times this playthrough and I'm at the Spire. Aura of Immolation she's only occasionally using. In fact, she switches to summon a jackal, throws a few fireballs, and goes to town with Spinning Kick. She's barely been using Volatile Barrier, even though she should have several times. I've had to revive her a *lot.*

In my games, the girls didn

The AI for Anjali is terrible. I was playing Reinhart for the first time, and hadn't chosen hard mode before. Most of the time she lobbed fireballs and used aura of immolation. Once in awhile she'd summon a jackal. The only spear technique she used frequently was spinning kick. She rarely bothered with fall from heaven even though I maxed out its damage. Reinhart's mirror leap companion contributed more than she did. :thumbsup:

Totally agree. AI companions sometimes do weird (and dangerous ) things like "Not Using Volatile Barrier" or " Performing Spinning Kick on Large Enemies". Ugh. I am almost falling in the temptation of ditching her for Lucas again, at least in this Reinhart plythrough. But I spent a lot of of money buying her the best gear I could, so Lucas will have to wait :thumbsup:

Katarina: as an AI companion, once I got Flintlock Fury she forgot about Heartseeking Shot...it is nice for most fights (just a few mobs survive the hail of bullets long enough to come close), but quite annoying in bosses where Heartseeking Shot would do more damage and more critical hits. In my games she summoned Dark Hounds quite often, but less than Anjali. Upgraded her Warding Ritual to slow/cause damage to enemies but she didn't use it much when controlled by AI...different from what I did when using her as a player char. I got quite frustrated with it. I wish she used more her Chosen Prey and Call of the Hunt but for me she didn

I don't see myself using her again in the near future. Out of the three I tried, she was the worst by far. Next I plan to take Reinhart along for the first time. Hopefully that goes better.

In my games when I had Reinhart as an AI-companion he did it well, with a few flaws (only when extremely outnumbered, but I supposed this will happen with most AI-companions.). His Mirror Leap was quite useful.