Obsidian at PAX Prime 2011

funcroc

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule.php

The Agony and Ecstasy of RPG Writing

Kraken Theatre

Saturday 12:00pm - 1:00pm

More than any other genre, role-playing games are known for their story - such that their success may entirely depend on it! But how do you wrangle scripts that may clock in at thousands of lines? How do you organize complex webs of character choices? And how do you manage to create unique and memorable characters after you've already made dozens?! Join an array of game writer/designers to hear them share their knowledge and tales of triumph and tragedy.

Panelists include: John Gonzales [Writer, Warner Bros], Travis Stout [Writer/Designer, Obsidian Entertainment], Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda [Content Designer, ArenaNet], Brian Mitsoda [Creative Director, DoubleBear Productions]

Obsidian's current employee Travis Stout and three ex-Obsidian employees... interesting mixture of panelists

Resumes, Cover Letters and Websites

Kraken Theatre

Friday 12:00pm - 1:00pm

How many times have you submitted your work to a game studio only to get a rejection letter or no response at all?

If this is the case please come to our Resumes, Cover Letters and Websites panel where Jim Rivers Hiring Manager for Obsidian Entertainment, Lindsey McQueeney Internal Recruiter for Big Huge Games/38 Studios and Dino McGraw Manager of Global Staffing for Foundation 9/Double Helix will explain step by step how to write a resume, cover letter and layout a website for submission to a game studio.

We will cover tips and tricks on how to get past the front line of defense of the game industry.

Panelists include: Dino McGraw [Manager of Global Staffing, Foundation 9/Double Helix], Lindsey McQueeney [internal Recruiter, Big Huge Games/38 Studios], Jim Rivers [Hiring Manager, Obsidian Entertainment]

Edited by funcroc

OT: John Gonzalez's profile at PAX Dev site

John Gonzalez

Before joining WB Games in Kirkland as the Lead Narrative Designer of an unannounced game, John was the Lead Writer and Lead Creative Designer of Fallout: New Vegas at Obsidian Entertainment. His other credits include Tom Clancy's EndWar and Alter Echo.

Edited by funcroc

• 3 weeks later...
Reading the comments to the article I feel like I'm taking a trip through a bizarro land where Mass Effect 2 had a good story and Obsidian has only written Neverwinter Nights 2 and Storm of Zehir.

The comments make me sad. Gamers in general prefer a more "epic" story over a personal/subdued narrative (e.g. FO3 fans arguing FO3 had a better story than FNV because of "epic" moments like Liberty Prime). It's the same reason why the Transformers movies are so financially successful.

Reading the comments to the article I feel like I'm taking a trip through a bizarro land where Mass Effect 2 had a good story and Obsidian has only written Neverwinter Nights 2 and Storm of Zehir.

The comments make me sad. Gamers in general prefer a more "epic" story over a personal/subdued narrative (e.g. FO3 fans arguing FO3 had a better story than FNV because of "epic" moments like Liberty Prime). It's the same reason why the Transformers movies are so financially successful.

Not news to me. If I were just following narrative, I'd rather watch movies or could play even JRPG.

F:NV didn't generally have a really good narrative (compared to MotB or even Dungeon Siege III), but it made up in dialogue and player agency. Plus, it's compared to the awful Fallout 3 narrative, so there's that too.
Also, NV has some memorable characters, too.

Not news to me. If I were just following narrative, I'd rather watch movies or could play even JRPG.

You are essentially following a narrative in any type of game that presents a storyline.

It's just that gaming standards for it's handling are so poor that people apparently think it's something only JRPGs have.

The whole reason for aiming at that 'epic' style is because designer cannot create any emotional reaction in the player.

All they can try is dropping giant monster or pushing giant world-changing battles to instill at least some notion of wonder.

F:NV didn't generally have a really good narrative (compared to MotB or even Dungeon Siege III), but it made up in dialogue and player agency. Plus, it's compared to the awful Fallout 3 narrative, so there's that too.

Such as?

It's just that gaming standards for it's handling are so poor that people apparently think it's something only JRPGs have.

The whole reason for aiming at that 'epic' style is because designer cannot create any emotional reaction in the player.

I simply used "JRPG" as a typical example of fixed story line + party combat but I do know some exceptions.

All they can try is dropping giant monster or pushing giant world-changing battles to instill at least some notion of wonder.

:thumbsup: I guess I should be just happy with having not played the games you seem to have... Wonder if it has something to do with the fact I stopped playing Bioware games...

I cannot follow what you are trying to say here, but if you are implying something like: some games follow Hollywood pop movie standard which rely on spectacles and gorgeous CGs than insight to a situation and/or people in that, then, I can agree with you.

Such as?

If they haven't come across with you, then, our opinions are different. However, I don't expect much emotional ties to NPCs in FO series...it has a different approach compared with something like Planescape: Torment, IMO (Yea, still poking around bushes to figure out what you are saying).