Fallout: NV and its "Fall-outs"

Sheeple

I'm generally not one to stand up and voice my opinion, but it just so happens that the matter which affects me, does so with such passion. i am not completely naive to the gaming infrastructure in it's entirety, (being the whole underlying processes at which games are manufactured and handled -pre and -post production.) so i will apologize in advance for the absence of compassion in my speech, for those who had the ability to act and have chosen not to will not get my sympathies. The first issue i believe to be of most pertinence is the lack of a arbitrary definition for the term "game" and one that implicates a universal constant for the implicit and explicit. What do i mean by the implicit and explicit definition of a game? There is a compendium amount of examples one can use but i'll be as austere as possible. The point i wish to get across is, can you call a game a "game" regardless of it's fluidity and reactions, being so torn apart from the conventional sense of what many experience in games; that immersion. Immersed in a place housed to many discrepancies that the illusion quickly starts to crumble. (which ruins the experience completely in my opinion for much luster is lost when you're just dragging your feet in the mud) A game you cannot immerse yourself in, for there is no world holding it apart. That is exactly how I felt/feel when I played/play Fallout NV. There is nothing more upsetting then having bought this game on day one out of respect for those who took their "time" and put in the effort to make something truly special and unique to fans who support the fallout realm, to only encounter numerous amount of issues relating to script (faulty script on this scale means problem was acknowledged and ignored), mainly due to consolization, out-dated technologies, and what my take is, indolent persons. As every game gets advertised i feel you have done me, the fan, the blood that runs through your veins, a dis-service. You have failed to up-root and dis-solve the problems prior to releasing this game and have left me to deal with the ramifications. Patching is but one of the consequences i speak about. That arduous update for a game not even having a minute relation to the online world one bit. Why SHOULD I be forced to update something in hopes of it fixing itself when I paid for the game brand new? So really then, what is it I paid for? I paid to be encumbered by a burden that shouldn't be mine but yours. I am sure Fallout: NV had 6 patches prior to OWB, not to mention those patches are only applied to my Ps3, and that other consoles will house their own specific problems with patch frequency varying.

There are many things that can attribute to the success and failure of a game, but the biggest would have to be time. Time on both ends of the spectrum is what determines the success and continuation of a series. Do you have enough "time" to sit there to enjoy the game? Is time-flow being interrupted? If so what is the medium causing the stress to the system? Did developers/testers DO THEIR JOB ADEQUATELY?

I was going to explain about the implicit and explicit meaning but it would be rather long and has to do mainly with the way a game is advertised. With the spotlight only focusing on key things that highlight the series/franchise while simultaneously leaving things,,,unclear. This must be some sort of new marketing tactic for things I've noticed that are doomed to fail. Super 8 comes to mind...there was a name to it...nothing more.

Edited by Sheeple

I'm generally not one to stand up and voice my opinion, but it just so happens that the matter which affects me, does so with such passion. i am not completely naive to the gaming infrastructure in it's entirety, (being the whole underlying processes at which games are manufactured and handled -pre and -post production.) so i will apologize in advance for the absence of compassion in my speech, for those who had the ability to act and have chosen not to will not get my sympathies. The first issue i believe to be of most pertinence is the lack of a arbitrary definition for the term "game" and one that implicates a universal constant for the implicit and explicit. What do i mean by the implicit and explicit definition of a game? There is a compendium amount of examples one can use but i'll be as austere as possible. The point i wish to get across is, can you call a game a "game" regardless of it's fluidity and reactions, being so torn apart from the conventional sense of what many experience in games; that immersion. Immersed in a place housed to many discrepancies that the illusion quickly starts to crumble. (which ruins the experience completely in my opinion for much luster is lost when you're just dragging your feet in the mud) A game you cannot immerse yourself in, for there is no world holding it apart. That is exactly how I felt/feel when I played/play Fallout NV. There is nothing more upsetting then having bought this game on day one out of respect for those who took their "time" and put in the effort to make something truly special and unique to fans who support the fallout realm, to only encounter numerous amount of issues relating to script (faulty script on this scale means problem was acknowledged and ignored), mainly due to consolization, out-dated technologies, and what my take is, indolent persons. As every game gets advertised i feel you have done me, the fan, the blood that runs through your veins, a dis-service. You have failed to up-root and dis-solve the problems prior to releasing this game and have left me to deal with the ramifications. Patching is but one of the consequences i speak about. That arduous update for a game not even having a minute relation to the online world one bit. Why SHOULD I be forced to update something in hopes of it fixing itself when I paid for the game brand new? So really then, what is it I paid for? I paid to be encumbered by a burden that shouldn't be mine but yours. I am sure Fallout: NV had 6 patches prior to OWB, not to mention those patches are only applied to my Ps3, and that other consoles will house their own specific problems with patch frequency varying.

There are many things that can attribute to the success and failure of a game, but the biggest would have to be time. Time on both ends of the spectrum is what determines the success and continuation of a series. Do you have enough "time" to sit there to enjoy the game? Is time-flow being interrupted? If so what is the medium causing the stress to the system? Did developers/testers DO THEIR JOB ADEQUATELY?

I was going to explain about the implicit and explicit meaning but it would be rather long and has to do mainly with the way a game is advertised. With the spotlight only focusing on key things that highlight the series/franchise while simultaneously leaving things,,,unclear. This must be some sort of new marketing tactic for things I've noticed that are doomed to fail. Super 8 comes to mind...there was a name to it...nothing more.

To those wondering my objectives i only wish to hear the thoughts and views of those on this board so that a way may be found to give us the consumer more rights and to make the company with their products more transparent. I root more for the product lol

I've never seen such a mass of text that said so little. Are you by chance a politician or lawyer? :-

I've never seen such a mass of text that said so little. Are you by chance a politician or lawyer? :-

It is ironic how you words mean and say very little about what you mean as well. I wish to convey my message to you, so if you wish to tell me what parts meant little so I can expand. I am not a politician or a lawyer, merely a prospective post-secondary student.

It is ironic how you words mean and say very little about what you mean as well. I wish to convey my message to you, so if you wish to tell me what parts meant little so I can expand. I am not a politician or a lawyer, merely a prospective post-secondary student.

You will notice that I managed to communicate clearly that you type too much in a single sentence?

What it sounds like is that you feel the game has too many bugs and or glitches. Instead of writing an essay on how much glitches suck you could have pointed out specific problems and not an essay on the nature of glitches and their effect on the psyche of the player etc.

As for the game, I may have been lucky but I never ran into any game breakers and glitches/bugs were few and far between.

You will notice that I managed to communicate clearly that you type too much in a single sentence?

What it sounds like is that you feel the game has too many bugs and or glitches. Instead of writing an essay on how much glitches suck you could have pointed out specific problems and not an essay on the nature of glitches and their effect on the psyche of the player etc.

As for the game, I may have been lucky but I never ran into any game breakers and glitches/bugs were few and far between.

By no way was it an essay on the nature of glitches lol or their effect on the psyche...don't rush to assume I was trying to make such connections.

I mainly was aiming to address the under-handed tactics used to get the game out in the mainstream...I am not familiar with any games being totally broken upon release thus being rendered obsolete. This is the first time i've encountered a game like that and feel it should not have been released and some action should have taken rise immediately. Via re-call of item if experiencing "difficulties", or some sort of compensation. I guess i'm just not a fan of purchasing people's crap. And i'm truly sorry if that vulgar piece offends anyone.

I would consider you very lucky, in the fact that your experience was not ruined. Also very happy for those whose games go untarnished!

Edited by Sheeple

I stopped at the beginning of that giant wall of text.

I wonder how you fare with books?

Books tend to break things up into various paragraphs, not just one big paragraph that lasts an entire chapter.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

By no way was it an essay on the nature of glitches lol or their effect on the psyche...don't rush to assume I was trying to make such connections.

I mainly was aiming to address the under-handed tactics used to get the game out in the mainstream...I am not familiar with any games being totally broken upon release thus being rendered obsolete. This is the first time i've encountered a game like that and feel it should not have been released and some action should have taken rise immediately. Via re-call of item if experiencing "difficulties", or some sort of compensation. I guess i'm just not a fan of purchasing people's crap. And i'm truly sorry if that vulgar piece offends anyone.

I would consider you very lucky, in the fact that your experience was not ruined. Also very happy for those whose games go untarnished!

That was a joke you know. That massive block of text can be summarized with: The game has too many glitches. The game should not have been released in that state. Patches post release to make the game playable are not acceptable. I've pretty much said exactly what you were trying to say in a small paragraph. Further, you still are not giving ANY examples. What quest broke on you? Crashing? What exactly IS your problem? Nothing is going to happen here if all you have to say is that the game was too glitchy.

You also seem to be using your own personal experience to claim that the game was tarnished for everyone when everything I've read is to the contrary. Reviews and sales have been good and most gamer opinions are positive. Have you played Oblivion or Fallout 3? The game is built on the same engine and they've all been unstable and buggy, but playable.

Books tend to break things up into various paragraphs, not just one big paragraph that lasts an entire chapter.

That and they tend to have some substance.

"Frodo walked to the well. Frodo was thirsty. What drives a man to walk to a well? Thirst. Hobbits, like humans, must drink. If they don't drink they die of thirst. Water is required for all living things. Frodo was thirsty at this particular moment. Why was Frodo thirsty? He hadn't had a drink in hours. Not drinking in hours makes Hobbits thirsty. It also makes humans thirsty. Frodo was almost to the well now. I'm running out of ideas about how to talk about thirsty Hobbits. Did I mention Frodo was thirsty?"

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I stopped at the beginning of that giant wall of text.

I wonder how you fare with books?

Guess you never heard of one-paragraph novels...also in which case not the chapter...the book.

I'm another one who played the game and only had to deal with a few glitches that didn't really effect my enjoyment of Fallout NV.

Although the one that screwed up plotlines because I'd done one quest earlier then another was a bit of a pain... But I certainly wasn't buried in glitches.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Talk 'bout the game(s), not the people, their writing skills, or how you can provoke people the fastest, guys.
One should make an effort not to automatically dismiss or gang up on the new guy. That's so unattractive in a forum.

Thank you very much, however, I don't mind if they choose to pick out something i've done "wrong." If for some reason i don't sound clear, it is because I have failed to demonstrate in a way which makes sense to others.

That was a joke you know. That massive block of text can be summarized with: The game has too many glitches. The game should not have been released in that state. Patches post release to make the game playable are not acceptable. I've pretty much said exactly what you were trying to say in a small paragraph. Further, you still are not giving ANY examples. What quest broke on you? Crashing? What exactly IS your problem? Nothing is going to happen here if all you have to say is that the game was too glitchy.

You also seem to be using your own personal experience to claim that the game was tarnished for everyone when everything I've read is to the contrary. Reviews and sales have been good and most gamer opinions are positive. Have you played Oblivion or Fallout 3? The game is built on the same engine and they've all been unstable and buggy, but playable.

I never once stated this was a universal thing that was/is happening to everyone. I tried as hard as possible to restrict what I was talking about solely around me and my experiences. I was well aware prior to writing that a lot of people hadn't encountered any glitches whilst playing on a Ps3. Also I currently play both those games you mentioned and while hurdling the occasional bug none have been as severe or persistent then in NV. Clocked in more than 500+ hours for only those two games alone. So I have some experience, at-least I'd like to think =s. I'm also aware of the out-dated gamebyro engine they use, however I wonder if you know what makes the relation so unstable?? Surely we can agree that if we want to play a game it should last more than 1-2 hours without defaulting?

That and they tend to have some substance.

"Frodo walked to the well. Frodo was thirsty. What drives a man to walk to a well? Thirst. Hobbits, like humans, must drink. If they don't drink they die of thirst. Water is required for all living things. Frodo was thirsty at this particular moment. Why was Frodo thirsty? He hadn't had a drink in hours. Not drinking in hours makes Hobbits thirsty. It also makes humans thirsty. Frodo was almost to the well now. I'm running out of ideas about how to talk about thirsty Hobbits. Did I mention Frodo was thirsty?"

Thanks for the analogy. I quite enjoyed it especially because I just watched LOTR:FoR.