STEAM!

Gorth

Yep, seems that way 80% of the time. I've tried out Fallout 1 and I'm not really understanding the combat and in general just walking around is odd. Does it actually halt your progress every time an enemy comes into your range up until the point to where it's standing next to you or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Blodhemn

Guest Slinky

Yep, seems that way 80% of the time. I've tried out Fallout 1 and I'm not really understanding the combat and in general just walking around is odd. Does it actually halt your progress every time an enemy comes into your range up until the point to where it's standing next to you or am I doing something wrong?

Turn based combat. If you start the combat you get to do stuff first until action points run out, then it's enemies turn. If an enemy starts the combat, it gets to do stuff first.

I've tried out Fallout 1 and I'm not really understanding the combat and in general just walking around is odd. Does it actually halt your progress every time an enemy comes into your range up until the point to where it's standing next to you or am I doing something wrong?

Iirc... it switches to turn-based once an enemy becomes aware of you, so eg. if they face you it'll switch much sooner. However pressing enter/return turns on turn-based immediately. So if you play a sneaky character, you sneak (what was it? F1? F2?) up to the guy and before he reacts you press enter and then use your action points to attack him. Also I played a 10AP sniper most of the time, so I could get into cover in real-time, press enter, step out of cover, shoot, then hide back and got a free attack this way to start the fight.

Now I haven't played it in a long time, so anyone - feel free to correct me.

I've tried out Fallout 1 and I'm not really understanding the combat and in general just walking around is odd. Does it actually halt your progress every time an enemy comes into your range up until the point to where it's standing next to you or am I doing something wrong?

Iirc... it switches to turn-based once an enemy becomes aware of you, so eg. if they face you it'll switch much sooner. However pressing enter/return turns on turn-based immediately. So if you play a sneaky character, you sneak (what was it? F1? F2?) up to the guy and before he reacts you press enter and then use your action points to attack him. Also I played a 10AP sniper most of the time, so I could get into cover in real-time, press enter, step out of cover, shoot, then hide back and got a free attack this way to start the fight.

Now I haven't played it in a long time, so anyone - feel free to correct me.

Thanks. So sniper is the best, slightly quicker way to get through combat then, and I take it that sneak was one of your tagged skills?

The credited answer for somebody new to Fallout 1 or 2 is to tag Small Guns, Speech, and one of Science, Repair, any thiefy skill, Doctor, or maybe Bigguns or Energy Weaps. Your SPECIAL should be Agility- and Intelligenge-heavy, as they determines the number of Action Points and Skill Points you get, respectively. Perks that increase the occurence and effectiveness of critical hits are the most valuable ones.

Other builds (unarmed, for example) can work, but somebody new to the game would probably find them frustrating.

• Like 1

Thanks. So sniper is the best, slightly quicker way to get through combat then, and I take it that sneak was one of your tagged skills?

I don't know if it's 'the best' or quickest at all, a sniper tries to keep distance, and I think big guns or burst weapons can do the job 'quicker'... so really it's just the way I played these games, 10 PE, 10 AG, energy weapons, speech, science guy. (Also STR of 4 - might be too low for new players - Gifted and Finesse traits, but traits do have drawbacks as well.) Sneak helps, but you don't need to tag it for a sniper. I remember in Fallout 2 I had dogs and a guy with a sledgehammer as companions as they caused a lot of knockdowns, which stole AP-s from opponents so they couldn't close in as fast on my sniper. It's just how I played.

Anyways I agree with Enoch - small guns maybe better for new players, especially in Fallout 2. But there are a lot of options in the game, a RPG really. :)

Picking up games is actually more fun than playing them, isn't it? :)

That's why I have to stay away from Steam's website most of the time. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a bit of stuff on the current promotional sales... got myself Crusader Kings II Collection (base game + bunch of DLC's) and Mount & Blade Collection (Base game, Warbands and something with fire).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

This weekend is Deus Ex sale, so anyone who hasn't (god forbid) played Deus Ex (or The Nameless Mod) yet get DX GOTY. Otherwise, anyone who hasn't played Human Revolution, here's your best change to get started...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Picking up games is actually more fun than playing them, isn't it? :)

That's why I have to stay away from Steam's website most of the time. :lol:

I don't even dare checking exactly how many games I've bought that I haven't gotten around to play yet. Deus Ex (the latest one), GTA games, Skyrim, Saints Row 2+3 just to mention a few :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This weekend is Deus Ex sale, so anyone who hasn't (god forbid) played Deus Ex (or The Nameless Mod) yet get DX GOTY. Otherwise, anyone who hasn't played Human Revolution, here's your best change to get started...

Thanks. I've been meaning to pick up the HR DLC, and here it is for less than $4!

i was never planning on getting the deus ex dlc, but the price was too good to pass up on the off chance i decide to replay the game again

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

It won't let me pay for CK2 Sword of Islam so I put in a ticket, we'll see how long it takes. Of course, I had to get CK2 on steam in the first place because paypal kept blacklisting me. It's nice how they can't handle a lifestyle that involves less than 5 international trips a year.

Being a high flying international jet set academic isn't easy it seems.

Nobody knows our troubles but God.

(Moby reference)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm glad you all understand my woes, my true friends.

Also trying to get some books to read during the summer, and it turns out getting English copies of Bakhtin and Weber in Seoul can be difficult.

Excuse me while I break down and cry a little bit.

I'm glad you all understand my woes, my true friends.

Also trying to get some books to read during the summer, and it turns out getting English copies of Bakhtin and Weber in Seoul can be difficult.

Excuse me while I break down and cry a little bit.

Time to go eReader. I just bought an Ipad. Mostly for airplane moviez (none on intra-european flights) and Baldur's Gate, but probably a few books too.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Tempted to get C&C 3, only $8. Red Alert 3 is about $30 too expensive though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I plan on picking up Crusader Kings 2 when it goes on sale.

It's on sale right now, Hurlshot:

http://www.amazon.co...1/dp/B006ULENFG

$10. There are also a few Paradox Packs going round at similar prices for DLCs and other things, but I don't know if they're still on. I don't know how long this price lasts.Gogo!

I plan on picking up Crusader Kings 2 when it goes on sale.

It's on sale right now, Hurlshot:

http://www.amazon.co...1/dp/B006ULENFG

$10. There are also a few Paradox Packs going round at similar prices for DLCs and other things, but I don't know if they're still on. I don't know how long this price lasts.Gogo!

Sold! I've never bought something through Amazon's downloadable store (only hardcopy stuff) but wow, it downloaded super fast!