KOTOR 3 under production... or was...

A news article just appeared at Gamespot mentioning massive restructuring going on at LucasArts. Of particular interest is this little paragraph at the bottom of the news item:

"On the project front, an informed industry source said the team attached to the early stages of development on Knights of the Old Republic 3 was let go in yesterday's layoff."

Link to the news article

I'm sure they'll assign new people to the project soon, but I suppose this could result in a later release date for KotOR 3. Not that I am too concerned about KotOR 3 right now, but it's interesting.

On a more important note, is there any chance this could affect KotOR 2? I know Obsidian is not part of LucasArts and therefor not affected by the layoffs, but I understand that some parts of the game, such as the music, are being done in house by LucasArts, not Obsidian.

A news article just appeared at Gamespot mentioning massive restructuring going on at LucasArts. Of particular interest is this little paragraph at the bottom of the news item:

"On the project front, an informed industry source said the team attached to the early stages of development on Knights of the Old Republic 3 was let go in yesterday's layoff."

Link to the news article

I'm sure they'll assign new people to the project soon, but I suppose this could result in a later release date for KotOR 3. Not that I am too concerned about KotOR 3 right now, but it's interesting.

On a more important note, is there any chance this could affect KotOR 2? I know Obsidian is not part of LucasArts and therefor not affected by the layoffs, but I understand that some parts of the game, such as the music, are being done in house by LucasArts, not Obsidian.

If they fired

Don't be such an alarmist my friend. Lucas Arts has been restructuring for some time now. Music for KOTOR was done outside Bioware's studio as well by Jeremy Soule.

I wouldn't be surprised if an early stage team on KOTOR 3 got layed off. They probably are no longer needed as Bioware and Obsidian seem to have struck an interesting partnership.

Kinda like, "We supply the gaming engines and development tools, You develop the games."

Let KOTOR stay in the hands of 3rd party developers who have the tools and the experience to continue taking the KOTOR franchise foward.

Let Lucas Arts handle the musical scores, the cinematic cut scenes, the voice acting, the marketing and publishing.

It's a good arrangement, and it's working. "If it aint broke..... " ;)

Let's hope :)

*vision of doom clears*

Why do there need to be three though? After a while previous-episode-story baggage is going to start to get ponderous. Of course, in the movies (original and new-prequels trilogies both) episode 2 of the three doesn't end on a true conclusion, so to match them, nor will KOTOR2... prompting a third ;)

I just hope with the upheaval that is naturally to occur when there are layoffs, that KOTOR:TSL isn't delayed because of it.

I'm sure that it'll get done, and it'll be a top notch job, and we'll more than likely see a KOTOR 3. But things like this usually result in delays to current projects.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

lets just hope KOTOR2 isnt the end......

I dunno, do we really want a dodgy rake-in-the-cash third episode done by a group under time pressure closely associated with the publisher?

The whole concept has me sort of scared.

KotOR III, if such a project exists, should not be another Temple of elemental evil, and hopefully Lucasarts are aware of that too.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy