The three rats: Diamondback, MX518 and Orochi and Steelseries 6Gv2

As you can guess I'm hooked on "gamer" mice. This is usually a term that all by itself adds 30$ to the price of your mouse for a shiny led and a bit more plastic. They're only really relevant (to a degree) in competitive FPS, and even there a dedicated player will pwn your Razer equipped ass 20:0 with a 5$ mouse, without breaking a sweat.

However for us who like our bling bling, without further ado:

Razer Diamondback 3G 50$ (at the time of purchase)

razer-db3g-gallery3.jpg

I've had this mouse for more than a year now.

I won't go into technical specs as these can be found anywhere. The mouse is ambidexterous with a really low profile - which means its suited for a claw/fingertip grip. Which also means that if you have large hands, and like to palm your mice, its pretty damn uncomfortable. The side buttons are integrated in a sort of see saw switch made of rubber. Its unwieldy and easy to press inadvertly. Being ambidexterous, the symmetrical buttons on the other side are all but impossible to use for the right hand user and vice versa. Therefore the mouse really has two semi-good buttons apart from the usual three+scroll.

The white, see-through rubber through which the led shines has a tendency to flake and obviously doesn't respond well to sweaty hands.

The sensor is very responsive and precise and the software works without a hitch. Visually the mouse looks very nice. The mouse comes with a 2 year guarantee which is strange given that logitech mice usually come with 3 and cost 30-100% less.

Verdict: average product, especially compared to the:

Logitech MX518 28$ at the time of purchase

41BQVE1SXZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is one of my two new mice. It costs less than the diamondback but uses the exact same sensor. Its only suited for right hand users, very comfortable (featuring the characteristic curves of MX mice) and best used with a palm grip. Its heavy enough not to move inadvertently when clicking but light enough to glide well on a good surface. It has buttons in front and behind the scroll wheel for switching between the dpi settings 400/800/1600, two side/thumb back-forward (in browser) buttons and one small one below the scroll.. for something.

This mouse is preffered by Serbian lan cafes where it takes a ton of abuse from rabid CS, WOW, DotA players. That says a lot.

Its cheap for what it offers, and comes with a 3 year guarantee. Its software has a horrible reputation but thankfully the buttons work properly by default and it doesn't need to be installed.

Using it for CS I've noticed a remarkable increase of accuracy that I attribute to increased control the grip gives me (ergonomics).

Verdict: best gaming mouse in its class, for the price (but only for right handed users)

Razer Orochi 90$ at time of purchase

dsc_9942.jpg

Yeah, I was stupid enough to buy another razer mouse. This thing, advertised as a mobile gaming mouse is a fraud on all counts.

It has two modes of work:

Bluetooth and Wired

Bluetooth sets its DPI max to 2000. On paper that sounds good but two things drag it down, one horribly so.

The mouse has an auto sleep function that kicks in at about 2 SECONDS of inactivity. As you move it out of sleep it jerks the pointer as it reastablishes the connection. This is a complete ****up for FPS games, where you do not what your pointer flying around the screen as you're aiming for somebody's 2 pixel sized head. Also: the mouse uses 2 standard batteries to operate in bluetooth mode which make it too heavy for precise movements.

Wired mode works fine. The mouse is precise and responsive like any gamer quality wired mouse. The 4000 DPI max is interesting but usable only if in game settings allow you to fine tune sensitivity, as it makes the mouse too sensitive.

The ergonomics are ambidextrous which has the same problems as the Diamondback, on top of which the mouse is very small. Only if you have the hands of a 5 year old will this mouse be comfortable for hours of gaming. Its reduced size make it easy to inadvertently move the mouse as you're clicking the buttons.

The quality of the plastic does not leave the impression of a high end product. The software must be downloaded from the website and is fine.

Verdict: overall this is a waste of money. Its not a gaming mouse by any stretch, except in wired mode which makes it equal to many cheaper mice in functionality.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The junkyard wasn't good enough for your imperial majesty? ;)

:)

I thought it was a bit more relevant to games, than to technology in particular.

Of course I could just be an attention whore picking the more visited sub forum. :*

Moved to the appropriate forum.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Even the noblest of threads are forced to bend knee.

No justice in this world. And here's me trying to give some good,. honest feedback to all the good folks in this forum.

Yes, now stop complaining, what was that about keyboards? So far we've only seen mice ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ah yes. The thing I didn't cry about later.

Steelseries 6Gv2 mechanical keyboard - 90$

steelseries6gv2.jpg

For those who don't know what mechanical keyboards are - those are the ones that have full switches behind keys and make an audible click when fully depressed. Their construction is much sturdier than regular 'boards, supposedly facilitating 50 million cycles per key, instead of 1-5 million of the usual rubber keyboard. They're also much more satisfying to type on but this may vary from person to person.

Steelseries has a reputation as good durable products and this keyboard really seems to enforce it. Its heavy as a brick, with an extremely tough ABS plastic + steel construction. Everything feels solid and well made. Of course, that doesn't mean squat - if it still works in 10 years then it'll be a really good board.

The layout is mostly traditional with the left windows key changed for a steelseries one that is used to access media funcitons places on F1 to F6. The reasoning behind this was to eliminate the accidental pressing of the win key during games and I admit I like this idea. Placing the backslash key next to the slash key is strange and both of the shift keys turn out very small. I can live with that.

The keys are cherry mx black which means something to some people but to me it means 2 things:

1. keys do not need to be fully depressed to work - the keyboard is extremely sensitive

2. the keys do not make the click sound that typists are used to although its not a quiet board by any stretch

As a result it takes about a week to get used to typing on this keyboard because you'll be pressing a few more keys than usual. Its very satisfying to use and feels very solid.

The printing on the keys is atrocious, it has, after only a week of use started to dull a little although the letters are ridged so they'll never really rub off - only the paint will.

A 3$ clear key stickers would go a long way towards preserving the keys.

But apart from that I'm very satisfied with it. I feel it will will last as long as advertised (the guarantee is 2 years) and is a pleasure to use. In the long run it will probably save money on future boards although I'm not of the gear abusing, coffee spilling sort.

There is no special software for the board, its plug and play.

Its main contestant is the Razer black widow, which is 20$ cheaper but uses cheaper Cherry MX blue keys.

razer-blackwidow.jpg

It has usb and audio ports but it also has maufacturing issues with the space bar being too close to the left alt key and depressing it. This means that you'll be seeing menus in programs a lot. It a very widespread issue so I chose to buy 6gv2 instead. Previous Razer keyboards also have a bad reputation so that rubs of on this one as well.

There is also an "ultimate" edition which brings you ultimate backlighting at almost 50$ more.

As for Steelseries, their flagship board is the 7G

steelseries_7g.jpg

This is the same board only with a wrist rest, usb and audio ports for 30-40$ more. It also has the traditional layout albeit with the Steelseries key.

Its probably THE board to buy if you have the money to spare.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

To come: my two mousepads

Razer Goliathus and Razer Kabuto

Yes, I'm that vain.

The MX518 is what I just ordered to replace my Intellimouse Optical.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I have a Logitech G500 right now. It's ok, but nothing special. What I really wanted was a Mionix NAOS 3200 but, currently, it's seemingly impossible to get in Portugal.

As for keyboards I'm using a standard keyboard that came with my desktop in 1999. On my wishlist is the silent version of Daskeyboard, but a Portuguese version doesn't exist.

Heja Sverige!!

The MX518 is what I just ordered to replace my Intellimouse Optical.

Good choice.

Some of them crap out after a few months but replacing one shouldn't be a problem.

Do not install the software. You don't need it and it might wreak havoc on your pc.

I have a Logitech G500 right now. It's ok, but nothing special. What I really wanted was a Mionix NAOS 3200 but, currently, it's seemingly impossible to get in Portugal.

As for keyboards I'm using a standard keyboard that came with my desktop in 1999. On my wishlist is the silent version of Daskeyboard, but a Portuguese version doesn't exist.

Googling the Mionix doesn't tell me much - it seems to have all the standard features, for a standard price.

Maybe if its exceptionally high quality...

They all revolve around the same stuff. Logitech is just a bit more cheaper and sometimes long lasting, while the other end of the spectrum like Razer basically offers the same thing but you pay extra for vanity design.

I'll certainly not buy another Razer product.

Razer Kabuto 20$

razer-kabuto-gallery4.jpg

As you can see the Kabuto can double up as a screen protector for a netbook, and is really made as a companion to the Orochi mouse. Its very thin micro fiber stuck to thin rubber. It works well although it seem to attract dust more than my other one. It offers more resistance than I like in games, which is its chief flaw.

Overall: an okay product for a notebook user.

Razer Goliathus 30$

razer-goliathus-speed-gallery2.jpg

I like this one much more. I have the smallest "control" Goliathus, which really is standard size and more than most need. Its thick, I've had it for more than a year and it worked very well with the Diamondback mouse. Its still in good shape, and the amount of control I have over the movements of the mouse is very satisfying. Its "faster" than the Kabuto and noticeably so.

Overall: I recommend it. It does the job well for an okay price.

Googling the Mionix doesn't tell me much - it seems to have all the standard features, for a standard price.

Maybe if its exceptionally high quality...

They all revolve around the same stuff. Logitech is just a bit more cheaper and sometimes long lasting, while the other end of the spectrum like Razer basically offers the same thing but you pay extra for vanity design.

I'll certainly not buy another Razer product.

Regarding the Mionix, it's just really, really confortable. For me anyway.

edit: My mousepad is a SteelSeries QcK. It's great.

Heja Sverige!!

I want to try the Steelseries Ikari

ikari-optical-laser-mice-1.jpg

I've tried it through the packaging in the shop and it seemed very comfortable.

Guest Slinky

How do you like hold the mouse? Do you rest your full hand on it or just fingertips? And do you usually use low or high sensitivity on games?

I personally use always very high sensitivity and I hold the mouse with only my fingertips, so a small and light mouse is my way to go. Currently using Razer Salmosa.

If you use your full hand, I have only heard good about MX518.

How do you like hold the mouse? Do you rest your full hand on it or just fingertips? And do you usually use low or high sensitivity on games?

I personally use always very high sensitivity and I hold the mouse with only my fingertips, so a small and light mouse is my way to go. Currently using Razer Salmosa.

If you use your full hand, I have only heard good about MX518.

I like to palm grip the mouse (whole hand), and make minimal movements (high sensitivity).

I have large, heavy hands and any other option is heavy and/or tiring. Only I found that out when I dumped a lot of cash in mice that don't suit me.

You'd like both Razer mice then.

Judging by the Salmosa specs its the exact same sensor that the Diamondback 3G and MX518 have. So its all basically the same thing in a different size case.

But all those are max 1800 DPI, you should really try settings above that out before you buy. The Orochi at 4000 dpi is too blindingly fast for me to use.

I used it in CS 1.6 but only after setting the sensitivity to 1.2 in the game menu (hence bringing it down), at 4000 it jumps across the whole screen if you move it a milimeter.

Guest Slinky
But all those are max 1800 DPI, you should really try settings above that out before you buy. The Orochi at 4000 dpi is too blindingly fast for me to use.

Hah, I found even 1800dpi too much for me :ermm:

I'm using it on 800dpi with 1000hz sample rate, perfect for me.

Trackballs are underappreciated. Wired one for my laptop and wireless one for my HTPC. Death to all trackpads!

I wanted to buy that as well but I ran out of cash.

One thing I never understood about Microsoft Flight Sim X... why the heck can't you map the reverse thrust to the reverse throttle on my Saitek X52 Pro?!? ;)

I mean, I like the simulator and I love my Joystick/Throttle pair (which is also awesome when playing X2), but try to land a Boing 737 without using reverse thrust on a short runway. The only way you can use it, is from the virtual ****pit where you have to take your eyes off the runway and then scroll down until you can pull the levers with the mouse point. Helloooo? There is a reason for why they are banning cellphones while driving, you are supposed to keep your eyes on the road.

Years of Google searching has given no result. My wonderful input device speaks to deaf software :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One thing I never understood about Microsoft Flight Sim X... why the heck can't you map the reverse thrust to the reverse throttle on my Saitek X52 Pro?!? ;)

I mean, I like the simulator and I love my Joystick/Throttle pair (which is also awesome when playing X2), but try to land a Boing 737 without using reverse thrust on a short runway. The only way you can use it, is from the virtual ****pit where you have to take your eyes off the runway and then scroll down until you can pull the levers with the mouse point. Helloooo? There is a reason for why they are banning cellphones while driving, you are supposed to keep your eyes on the road.

Years of Google searching has given no result. My wonderful input device speaks to deaf software :(

You might want to try:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Fligh...2158&sr=8-1

Its cheap and pretty well made.

Thrustmaster has some really respected high end stuff as well.

Saitek has been slacking off. Some of the Cyborg series sticks come apart after days of use, I'm reading complaints left and right.

Thrustmaster hasn't been the same since they got bought out a decade ago - except for the Cougar and now Warthog. No idea how the suits were convinced to approve those but nice to see. I really miss the F-4 replica sticks though, those were more usable for general gaming than the hardcore F-16 sticks.

CH is still making the exact same sticks they made 20 years ago, except with USB connectors.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G