Too damn hard

The first Jeyne arena battle is actually the only battle I haven't won on hardcore in 5 playthroughs, despite having over 2000 health and over 200 armor...I really despise how they made single attacks kill you instantly and made armor irrelevant on hardcore. The randomness of dying was just too much.

When I put it on normal I beat it without any problem whatsoever the first time.

They really blew it with that battle on hardcore...

I also think this fight was the one fight in the game that crossed over from hard and challenging to simply frustrating on Hardcore. Just too much rolling around in this fight, plus the fact that the build-up (the two cyclopses) makes the fight too annoying to replay when you die to the Archon girl.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I also think this fight was the one fight in the game that crossed over from hard and challenging to simply frustrating on Hardcore.

Yes, with all other battles on hardcore you can win if you are careful and know what you are doing, here it's all about randomly dieing no matter what you do so it's just a matter of repetition until you get lucky.

I also think this fight was the one fight in the game that crossed over from hard and challenging to simply frustrating on Hardcore. Just too much rolling around in this fight, plus the fact that the build-up (the two cyclopses) makes the fight too annoying to replay when you die to the Archon girl.

I will agree that this is definitely the hardest fight in the game in Hardcore. However, I did feel that the fight worked really well as a prolonged test of execution. Personally in my playtesting I didn't find that I really died randomly - each time I died I could point to where I could have done something differently to avoid dying. It was pretty difficult to execute with the consistency that was required, but that was the point of that fight.

I can agree that the consistent execution required could be seen as frustrating, especially if you weren't really expecting that demanding of a fight. If anything, I wish the other boss fights in Hardcore did a better job of demanding consistent execution in the way that fight did, to prepare you for that fight. (specifics about boss fights folllow)

I think the Rajani fight was a good introduction, since her Pillar of Fire attack (the purple ground effect that explodes into a column of fire and knocks you down/does extreme damage) requires you to avoid it pretty much 100% of the time on Hardcore. But the Dapper Old Gent and Warbeast fights didn't have as many of those kinds of execution checks.

This was my favorite fight in the game on the hardest diff. Took a lot of tries, but good challenge. Raised my opinion of the game considerably.

Take advantage of animation-cancel when you revive. Roll as soon as you start activating it.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

That fight with Jeyne is my most hated in the whole game. On my first playthrough I spent 2 weeks tearing my hair out with it and only beat with help from a buddy, couldn't beat it alone. Once you kill the ogres and have to kill the archon there just seems to be suddenly too many adds to deal with at once and I always get swarmed and die then.

On my last playthrough I turned it down to normal from that point cause I didn't want to end up throwing my controller through the tv out of frustration :rolleyes:

Well, I have to agree with title. The game is way too hard. I am stuck little after Raven Hill (on the casual setting and with Lucas character), since I am not able to pass even sidequests (well, I did one, but the others are way too hard) nor advance with the main plot, because the enemy literally runs over me every single time. Granted, I haven't try other characters yet, but I don't that situation will change very much.

As for now, game is way too difficult to my taste and unless there is coming modding support or patch which makes the game easier OR I find some sort of working cheating/training option to make game little bit easier for me, I will left game to shelf. At least developers could add the same thing that demo had (at least as option) to wake up after death at the same spot. Now forcing the load the game will cause enemies spawn back, which is very annoying and will cause grinding (unless this meant to be like that, which makes game very boring).

Plot is fine, characters are great, graphics are very nice and controls are perfect. Now that if only the difficulty would be adjusted little bit, it would be one of the best games I ever played. As for now, due to difficulty it is unplayable.

Oh and I wanted to edit and say that demo itself was just fine what comes to difficulty. Retail version is which I have problems with.

Edited by Hawksoul

All you have to do to win on casual is press the attack button. It's quite mindless.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a game for skilled gamers. Yes it is difficult, but that's what makes it extremely fun. After having played through with every character, I have to say that the gaming experience is heavily based on which class you choose and how you spec them. This may sound obvious to some, but nonetheless it's still a valid statement. For example, when playing as the time mage I was having an extremely difficult time. I was playing on the hardest difficulty setting and had picked up talents solely for increasing damage output (lightning talent and will modifier). I decided to put one point into the talent that slows enemies when you dodge in there immediate vicinity. This one point in one talent changed how I played the game. Over were the days of putting down a trap only to be killed whilst in the process of casting it. Another very important part of Dungeon Siege 3, and every other game like it, is gear selection and availability. I have a feeling that most casual gamers won't immediately understand what all the different stats do or why it would be better to take certain ones over others. Before you think it let me start by acknowledging that yes, their is a help topics section that briefly explains nearly everything you would need to know about the different character stats and why it would be better to use some over others. However, I honestly can't imagine a casual gamer taking the time to read through all of those stat descriptions. Of course even though you know what stats your hoping for on that shiny new piece of loot doesn't mean that you'll be lucky enough to get them. Its a matter of play style and talent choices. I for one hate blocking and refuse to do so instead opting for rolling or teleporting depending on character selection; this makes my gear selection pretty simple because gear is generally split up into two categories: Defensive and Offensive. Defensive gear will almost always have some amount of block on it in addition to other stats whereas Offensive gear will usually have agility, will or attack. Dungeon Siege 3 is not a game to take lightly or blaze through without understanding. It was clearly well thought out and provides an avid gamer such as myself with much entertainment. That being said, the game does have its problems but I'm pretty sure most of that has been covered on this thread at one time or another so lets just leave it at that.

I don't think that game's really difficult. Sure, the fights take a lot of time at the highest difficulty, but that what we want, right? Last years, every sort of games are too simplified for me, so that's good to find a few challenge sometimes^^

Dark Goddess of the Obsidian Order.

This game isn't hard...not even of Hardcore. The difference between Casual/Normal/Hardcore is just that monsters have higher damage output and i believe, not sure...HP/Def. But in terms of character build everything is simple...Will>everything, period. The higher Will value you have the higher the skill damage output will be. This game pushes you to go glass cannon "build" because 99% of other things are useless...and still even without a pure Will build you stand a chance. Now I'm trying a build on Lucas, Doom build...and compared to my previous one it's lol, but still I didn't encounter any major issues. My only problem was in Stonebridge vs. robots range attack. Even with 20% Armor buff I would still receive 350-380 damage/light shot or what ever...

Dungeon Siege III is a casual RPG that you play for decisions stuff and story, nothing more, nothing less.

This is a game for skilled gamers. Yes it is difficult, but that's what makes it extremely fun. After having played through with every character, I have to say that the gaming experience is heavily based on which class you choose and how you spec them. This may sound obvious to some, but nonetheless it's still a valid statement. For example, when playing as the time mage I was having an extremely difficult time. I was playing on the hardest difficulty setting and had picked up talents solely for increasing damage output (lightning talent and will modifier). I decided to put one point into the talent that slows enemies when you dodge in there immediate vicinity. This one point in one talent changed how I played the game. Over were the days of putting down a trap only to be killed whilst in the process of casting it. Another very important part of Dungeon Siege 3, and every other game like it, is gear selection and availability. I have a feeling that most casual gamers won't immediately understand what all the different stats do or why it would be better to take certain ones over others. Before you think it let me start by acknowledging that yes, their is a help topics section that briefly explains nearly everything you would need to know about the different character stats and why it would be better to use some over others. However, I honestly can't imagine a casual gamer taking the time to read through all of those stat descriptions. Of course even though you know what stats your hoping for on that shiny new piece of loot doesn't mean that you'll be lucky enough to get them. Its a matter of play style and talent choices. I for one hate blocking and refuse to do so instead opting for rolling or teleporting depending on character selection; this makes my gear selection pretty simple because gear is generally split up into two categories: Defensive and Offensive. Defensive gear will almost always have some amount of block on it in addition to other stats whereas Offensive gear will usually have agility, will or attack. Dungeon Siege 3 is not a game to take lightly or blaze through without understanding. It was clearly well thought out and provides an avid gamer such as myself with much entertainment. That being said, the game does have its problems but I'm pretty sure most of that has been covered on this thread at one time or another so lets just leave it at that.

This is exactly why I'm so confused at how little people are on this forum. This is the main reason I'm on this forum, is to get technical answers about choices I need to make. The descriptions are indeed brief as you put it, this why I'm here, to find out. Take a look at what I'm dying to know, maybe you can help: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=58791

Edited by SilentBob420BMFJ

• 1 month later...

I have played all the dungeon Siege stuff and just got this. Go to the first town and got my first side quest ( release the prisoners in the cave ). You get swamped in that cave. Talk about having the odds stacked against you. I was playing on normal and cut it back to casual, but that didn't really help all that much. Sure do miss the health potions. :) May have to go back to the village and run some other side quests and see if can level up a bit more. Can't hurt. That having been said, I wouldn't necessarily call it too hard ( the same was said about The Witcher 2 ), but exceptionally challenging, even in casual mode. I guess that is one way to extend the playing time. I am starting to rack up some time in this thing already and 95% of it has been in that cave :)

I have played all the dungeon Siege stuff and just got this. Go to the first town and got my first side quest ( release the prisoners in the cave ). You get swamped in that cave. Talk about having the odds stacked against you. I was playing on normal and cut it back to casual, but that didn't really help all that much. Sure do miss the health potions. :lol: May have to go back to the village and run some other side quests and see if can level up a bit more. Can't hurt. That having been said, I wouldn't necessarily call it too hard ( the same was said about The Witcher 2 ), but exceptionally challenging, even in casual mode. I guess that is one way to extend the playing time. I am starting to rack up some time in this thing already and 95% of it has been in that cave :lol:

The cave battle was quite hard to begin with, but once you get hang of it, it should be somewhat easy fight. I remember getting killed like crazy on that fight in the demo. Avoid the "traps" on the ground that spawn skeletons and you won't get overwhelmed.

Hate the living, love the dead.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine and I have been playing this game for a while, and we are unable to finish the Jeyne/Saraya boss fight. We've tried it maybe 50 times and still fail, even after lowering the difficulty to Casual, and we are definitely not casual gamers.

Part of the problem is that my friend, who plays Anjali, seems to be able to use his abilities properly. I play Katrina, and I don't have any problems playing her, even though I keep dying. He has trouble healing, and I don't think he knows how to lay traps.

Is there a wiki page or FAQ or something that explains how to play Anjali? He has no empowered abilities whatsoever. What is he doing wrong?

Edited by tabicat

I have no clue what items you are holding as Katarina, but my combo was R2+square+dodge and sometimes vs single targets R2+X. I say again at Lazar quest I did level 35 and I maxed Trill of Hunt very early, therefor it allowed me to spam Empowered Hear-seeking shot till everyone was dead. I had like 60%+ critical chance and my damage was around 5k vs. the last boss of the DLC. The fight with Jayne and her Archons was easy! Anjali died because I wanted to kill Jayne first for the trophy but it didn't work so I mass killed everyone ;).

• 1 year later...

Really...it is ("too damn hard"). I know many of you don't think so, but it is for me. It's most likely because I play single-player, but I would still like to know if there is a way through this game because I want to enjoy what I purchased rather than dying over and over (and over).

Is there no console (or cheat) in this game like the wonderful DS1 and DS2?

Play it on easy. It should be playable with your eyes closed that way.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The only fight I really had trouble with on Normal difficulty was the Daeva Statue fight in Treasures of the Sun.  Everything in the main game was moderate at worst.  As already stated, whenever you run into a point where you get stuck, you can just turn down the difficulty for that fight, then turn it back up afterward.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry this battle is so frustrating for you and your wife.

This video shows a similar style in which I would play through this battle as I did nearly every day for the better part of a year.

The key to getting through this fight is ranged attacks.  Seeing as you have Anjali in your party take advantage of her ranged attacks and with Lucas I would use his blade dash to cut down enemies in this area.

Dodging incoming attacks is key as well.  If you still have the game - I hope this helps out!  If not - message me on XBL if that is where you are playing and I can help you get through it  :)

Gamertag = XxX Post XxX