Answering Community Questions on the Obsidian Blog

<crossposted from the DS3 forum>

Hey Everyone,

I'm Nathaniel, the lead designer on Dungeon Siege III. If you guys have any questions about Dungeon Siege III, Neverwinter Nights 2, Obsidian in general, Game Design, the industry, whatever - that you'd like me to answer, please post them in this thread!

Some notes:

I will pick the questions I answer and I don't have unlimited time, so I'm more inclined to pick interesting ones!

You're not going to hurt my feelings, so feel free to ask tough questions, but I won't likely pick flamebait/trolling

Let me know your first name and location in the question post if you want me to give you a shout out for the question, otherwise I'll just use your forum name.

I'm fine with answering questions on non-DSIII topics

I'll be wrapping up the questions on Thursday and try to get the blog post up shortly thereafter, so get 'em in!

oooh, that's so nice of you :ermm:

Can you talk openly about Aliens RPG?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What kind(genre + setting) of a game would you like to make if you could freely choose your next project?

Oh and what's up with the void/emptiness theme(no memory/mortality - PST, wound in the Force(+ Nihilus) - KotOR II, empty soul - MotB)? Do you have a guy who's fascinated with that or what?

Edited by Purkake

A cool idea.

My questions.

What can we expect from Dungeon Siege III in the future? DLC or expansion? Or are you guys done with DSIII and moving on to something else?

How big was the Dungeon Siege III team?

How much was the game expected to sell, and do you guys have approximate sales figures, or does Square Enix not share such info?

How many projects are Obsidian currently working on, other than the F:NV DLC? When will we learn about a new Obsidian game?

What color is your underwear?

If you could choose, what kind of game would you like to work with next? This does not have to be something Obsidian is actually working on.

If you could choose, what kind of game would you like to work with next? This does not have to be something Obsidian is actually working on.

Hey, don't steal my questions, brah.

It was a good question, so I had to repeat it. :aiee:

What do you think of the "The Longest Journey" Series?

Also, would you be willing to take on a game that would pretty much be filled with 80% storytelling and 20% exploration and puzzles?

Somewhat relating to the horror question above: Has there been any interest at Obsidian to create a sequel to Vampire: Bloodlines -- or just another Vampire: The Masquerade game.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Posting here so I leave the spotlight to all of those who intend to insult Nathaniel on the DS3 forums.. this is more Obsidian related than DSIII related, so yeah.

But anyway: What does "immersive" mean, in your opinion? It's one of the most popular industry's buzzwords today, yet I have never seen anyone explaining what they think it means.

And on that matter, do you think it's important for an AAA RPG today to be "immersive"?

• 3 weeks later...