DLC or expansions

I think anything substantial, ie story based with quests is very unlikely. Maybe some items packs though ...

I mean the forums are very sparsely populated, there is not much activity for this game on Xbox Live and interest has seemed to wane.

Post game support for Xbox 360 is almost non existant. there was a patch but nobody will post a patch log of what it fixed and the developers refused to answer another forum members question of what the patch fixed for Xbox 360. This doesn't suggest much respect for the Xbox 360 consumer and I'm just extrapolating that due to low sales, lack of Live activity, and the devlopers apparent scorn for the Xbox 360 crowd we won't be seeing another Title Update nor any DLC.

I could be wrong and we shall see.

We have pretty concrete proof that a DLC was in development - probably a quest-based one with additional area(s) - but I don't know if it will end up being finished / released.

Post game support for Xbox 360 is almost non existant. there was a patch but nobody will post a patch log of what it fixed and the developers refused to answer another forum members question of what the patch fixed for Xbox 360.

Question : why do you single-out the X-Box 360 version? All versions had one or two very small patches that came out without any changelog.

I don't play PS3 or PC (until I get a new rig) so I'm not really the best to comment on those platforms. Also PC appears to have some documentation for their patches and plenty of developer feedback on what they planned/did fix on PC.

Another point ... 4MB is a sizeable patch for Xbox 360, Microsoft has rules about file size for patches and 4 Mb used to be the limit (the rule is because patches were generally stored in Cache instead of the harddrive because not all versions of the Xbox 360 shipped with a HD). This has been pushed up in quite recent times though and I believe the latest F:NV patch holds the Xbox 360 record with 16 MB.

If customers ask what changes were made with a patch to their software I think its common courtesy to answer that question even if the patch just fixed spelling errors.

We have pretty concrete proof that a DLC was in development - probably a quest-based one with additional area(s) - but I don't know if it will end up being finished / released.

I hope so. I really like this game, despite the critics. I'd like to continue the adventure.

I'm sorry it was a flop, I think it deserves more

It's obvious DLC was planned for the game since the beginning, but if I had a choice, I'd go with an expansion.

This.

Then again, this is my feelings when it comes to any game, not just DSIII. I realize it's not quite the cash cow as DLC is, but I'd much rather developers spent their extra time (meaning time after the main game is finished) creating an expansion, rather than a handful of 1-hour DLCs.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

No the game flopped, don't expect anything.

:verymad::banghead:

I'm not mad you said that, I just honestly wish it weren't true. It's one of the coolest games I've ever played. WTF is wrong with people. GRRR!!!

The developers refused to heed the fans concerns during development and completely ignored all the features that make ARPG's great and gain some of them huge followings and big online communities. Dungeon Siege 3's online community has never exceeded Diablo 2's community size ... Diablo 2 is 11 years old. And it isn't like people weren't addressing their concerns before the game came out, because people were. Obsidian just thinks they know what fans want better than the fans. RPG fans want MORE complexity and depth. And PC gamers want a game that is developed with their platform in mind ... shared screen online co-op is an insult to gamers and shows Obsidian's lack of ambition and talent. They simply ported the console couch co-op experience to all MP and it hurt them.

It's an ARPG that doesn't want to take on the real features of ARPG's but doesn't give us the real meat of an RPG. The game stands in limbo where it doesn't give you the best of either approach and the fans reaction across the web and ther sales of the game confirm this. This message board is the only place left where the last 7 or 8 people that love this game hang out. And they hear the bells ringing loud, the bells of doom for Dungeon Siege 3.

These developers work in Air Conditioned high tech offices and make a living wage doing someingth amazing and fun for a living and they disrespect their opportunity and their fans by releasing such a streamlined game. And the fans of the Dungeon Siege series, as well as fans of ARPG all across the internet have spoken. Sales rankings for Dungeon Siege 3 tell their own grim tale. The lack of activity on this message board for the game (that was released druing a gaming drought) tells another story.

The failure of this game is a vindication for gamers that want complexity in their games and demand value for money.

When Obsidian made Fallout New vegas they continued in the spirit of Fallout 3 but also tried to bring back the lost and trampled on spirit of the old Fallouts. I think they succeeded quite well and I traded in my copy of Fallout 3 and just keep New Vegas because I love their take on the new style of Fallout. But what thjey didn't do was completely trample on what came before and ignore what gamers liked about fallout 3. AND AND AND they added complexity to the game. I'll say that again: When they made Fallout New Vegas they built on what gamers already were loving about the series and improved upon the formula and added complexity. Pretty smart and as it just so happens it is their highest selling title to date.

Imagine if they would have built on the awesome foundation Chris Taylor and Gas Powered games had already established and just added layers of complexity and game improvements. Maybe there would actually be people playing this game online a month or two after release. As it stands online activity is dead, sales are low, and fan outrage over this title was significant.

:verymad::banghead:

I'm not mad you said that, I just honestly wish it weren't true. It's one of the coolest games I've ever played. WTF is wrong with people. GRRR!!!

The developers refused to heed the fans concerns during development and completely ignored all the features that make ARPG's great and gain some of them huge followings and big online communities. Dungeon Siege 3's online community has never exceeded Diablo 2's community size ... Diablo 2 is 11 years old. And it isn't like people weren't addressing their concerns before the game came out, because people were. Obsidian just thinks they know what fans want better than the fans. RPG fans want MORE complexity and depth. And PC gamers want a game that is developed with their platform in mind ... shared screen online co-op is an insult to gamers and shows Obsidian's lack of ambition and talent. They simply ported the console couch co-op experience to all MP and it hurt them.

It's an ARPG that doesn't want to take on the real features of ARPG's but doesn't give us the real meat of an RPG. The game stands in limbo where it doesn't give you the best of either approach and the fans reaction across the web and ther sales of the game confirm this. This message board is the only place left where the last 7 or 8 people that love this game hang out. And they hear the bells ringing loud, the bells of doom for Dungeon Siege 3.

These developers work in Air Conditioned high tech offices and make a living wage doing someingth amazing and fun for a living and they disrespect their opportunity and their fans by releasing such a streamlined game. And the fans of the Dungeon Siege series, as well as fans of ARPG all across the internet have spoken. Sales rankings for Dungeon Siege 3 tell their own grim tale. The lack of activity on this message board for the game (that was released druing a gaming drought) tells another story.

The failure of this game is a vindication for gamers that want complexity in their games and demand value for money.

When Obsidian made Fallout New vegas they continued in the spirit of Fallout 3 but also tried to bring back the lost and trampled on spirit of the old Fallouts. I think they succeeded quite well and I traded in my copy of Fallout 3 and just keep New Vegas because I love their take on the new style of Fallout. But what thjey didn't do was completely trample on what came before and ignore what gamers liked about fallout 3. AND AND AND they added complexity to the game. I'll say that again: When they made Fallout New Vegas they built on what gamers already were loving about the series and improved upon the formula and added complexity. Pretty smart and as it just so happens it is their highest selling title to date.

Imagine if they would have built on the awesome foundation Chris Taylor and Gas Powered games had already established and just added layers of complexity and game improvements. Maybe there would actually be people playing this game online a month or two after release. As it stands online activity is dead, sales are low, and fan outrage over this title was significant.

I agree with this.

:lol::)

Pretty much this. And after hearing about how DS3 was going to be done, we bought it for the PS3 instead of the PC just in case we didn't like it we could always trade it back in to GameStop. Once you buy a PC game, you're pretty much stuck with it so we weren't willing to take a chance on this game for that platform. We are having some fun with it but would have enjoyed it much more if the game were splitscreen instead of tying us to one. That's really what is killing the game in it's current form for us (meaning my friend and me). If DS3 had more to offer in style of ARPGs like of old, then we could have gotten 2 copies to play PC over LAN. (online isn't an option for us) But the lack of new game+ and with no ability to take one's character with them kills that altogether. I keep asking myself "WTF were they thinkin'?"

Edited by james1976

I think it's cute that we have fostered a new handful of haters. The AP ones are pretty much gone, I think we barely got any new permanent members from there.

A pro tip for you: try more subtlety ;)

A pro tip for you: I speak directly and plainly. I don't need nor want subtlety. Obsidian ignored fans during the development of this game and it hurt them. It isn't really up for debate that this game was not well received. People might argue that they like it or not and personally I think its OK. But OK games are not worth my money or time.

Some of the decisions made by the developers of this game are so WTF? inducing that I can scarcely believe they actually went through to final release.

I think it's cute that we have fostered a new handful of haters. The AP ones are pretty much gone, I think we barely got any new permanent members from there.

A pro tip for you: try more subtlety ;)

A pro tip for you: I speak directly and plainly. I don't need nor want subtlety. Obsidian ignored fans during the development of this game and it hurt them. It isn't really up for debate that this game was not well received. People might argue that they like it or not and personally I think its OK. But OK games are not worth my money or time.

Some of the decisions made by the developers of this game are so WTF? inducing that I can scarcely believe they actually went through to final release.

My heart bleeds for you, but even speaking directly and plainly gets a bit old if you're saying the same thing over and over.

And that is not a tip, it's a statement.

Edited by Purkake

I'd prefer expansions. I could see DLC coming out and would likely enjoy it, but my primary interest is in seeing new characters representing different playstyles and archetypes. I think expansions would fit into that better than DLC would.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I could see DLC coming out and would likely enjoy it, but my primary interest is in seeing new characters representing different playstyles and archetypes. I think expansions would fit into that better than DLC would.

I think I would disagree with you there. New characters seem the kind of stuff a DLC could be good for, especially if they simply work on the base of a scratched character. What I could really see in an expansion is more powers by stance though, along with a follow-up on the story and new characters.

I could see DLC coming out and would likely enjoy it, but my primary interest is in seeing new characters representing different playstyles and archetypes. I think expansions would fit into that better than DLC would.

I think I would disagree with you there. New characters seem the kind of stuff a DLC could be good for, especially if they simply work on the base of a scratched character. What I could really see in an expansion is more powers by stance though, along with a follow-up on the story and new characters.

But DLC characters wouldn't fit into the story very well. Even if it was a cut character, unless it was cut very late. You'd have to get all the voice actors back in the studio for the more complex interactions, as well. Think about a character as fully integrated as Anjali, who has the entire plot thread of the Archons backing her up and is readily discussed by the others.

I can't really see an expansion. It would nice to see what happens based on your game save, like importing into it and continuing that character's story. But I dunno if it would be worth it to them. Ans while I wouldn't mind seeing a new character added to the list, I'd rather see a new game+ and/or more story content with added skills, talents, and profiences for the existing characters. Again, I don't know if the cost of production and development would be worth it to them given the game's reception. I think we'd be lucky to see a DLC of some kind....hopefully not item based though. Game has plenty of that already. I'm still wondering if I will still own the game pass Christmas as it will be a group discision between a friend and who split the cost of purchase. Story DLC would keep it alive for a little bit depending on it's price. We are still having trouble getting by the disappointment this game turned out to be though given it came from Square Enix and Obsidian Entertainment. Honestly I expected way better. But we are still playing it for now.

EDIT - Also more characters would require them paying for more voice acting. So if it doesn't do well enough then they may not want to invest in that either.

Edited by james1976

I am here because Obsidian is one of the last of the AAA RPG developers but they are slippin' down the slippery slope of streamline.

I get tired of reading how people like the game and feel a need to counterbalance.

Again with the "streamlining" argument.

You are aware that the original Dungeon Siege controls and UI scheme are simple enough that the game could be ported to the SNES right?

Which is NOT the case with DS3.

In fact the only thing that felt streamlined about DS3 was the size of the game. So if your complaint is that the game is too small that could be valid, but you are using a tired and frankly false argument of "streamlining".

If you are mad that there is no New Game +, well that is future DLC possible.

If you are mad about the small list of items and variety, well that could be expanded on in DLC too.

MonkeyLungs is not trolling. He is disappointed with the game. I know how he feels. It sux hyping a game that turns out to be completely different than you expected. It is disappointng as hell. He is trying to get his voice heard and there are others like him that share his thoughts.

As for me, I ignored some things I dislike in the game and I am having a blast, but some people can?t do it sometimes. I couldn?t have a blast with Two Worlds 1, but I kow a lot of people had fun ignoring all the terrible mistakes that game had.

Can we get back to discussing "DLC or expansions" and not each other, pretty please?