Shoutout to the Devs

Last night I took a break from running for my life in FEAR3, and I booted up some Dungeon Siege III to continue my playthrough as Lucas on Hardcore.

Playing as Lucas reminds me of how amazing the combat system in this game really is compared to all these other ARPG's out there. Being the only pure melee option you would think Lucas would be hurting in a game with tons of ranged attacks. And sure, it's a tad harder on some bosses. But he has such an excellent array of skills at your disposal, he is really brutal in combat and I love it.

This games combat system should really be the standard of which all companies base their future ARPG games. I'm not saying they should copy this exact system, but instead of just clicking until something dies, make truly innovative and fun combat systems like this. Without potions or instant heal spells, having to dodge while your HP refills slowly is a real challenge. In addition to bosses like Maru-Yatum where you are dodging tons of crap on screen at once.

I just had to post this because even after playing this game for quite some time, i'm still having a ton of fun with it. I really can't wait for add on content to boost our play experience. This game is top notch from start to finish.

I definitely like that you have to physically dodge, vs. dodge being just a percentage chance number ala Diablo.

But I kinda of wish you could occasionally miss your dodge or something, so you aren't practically invincible via dodging/teleporting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I definitely like that you have to physically dodge, vs. dodge being just a percentage chance number ala Diablo.

But I kinda of wish you could occasionally miss your dodge or something, so you aren't practically invincible via dodging/teleporting.

I think that's fairly compensated by the sheer amount of how many times you have to dodge. On any boss in hardcore if you don't basically roll in a complete circle some times you can eat several bolts and meet instant death.

That was one of the things I loved about Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. You could block and block-counter, but it wasn't necessary at all. I rolled 10 times more than I blocked in that game.

Last night I took a break from running for my life in FEAR3, and I booted up some Dungeon Siege III to continue my playthrough as Lucas on Hardcore.

Playing as Lucas reminds me of how amazing the combat system in this game really is compared to all these other ARPG's out there.

That's what I've been saying, it is really hard to play any other ARPG now and even RPGs like Dragon Age.

I am absolutely convinced after seeing all Diablo 3 videos that Dungeon Siege 3 has superior combat.

But Diablo 3 will have huge advantages-->customizable gender for each class, better skill synergies and richer loot/equipment system.

Btw, until Dungeon Siege 3 I have always played as a mage class in every game.

Playing as Lucas reminds me of how amazing the combat system in this game really is compared to all these other ARPG's out there.

That's what I've been saying, it is really hard to play any other ARPG now and even RPGs like Dragon Age.

I am absolutely convinced after seeing all Diablo 3 videos that Dungeon Siege 3 has superior combat.

But Diablo 3 will have huge advantages-->customizable gender for each class, better skill synergies and richer loot/equipment system.

Btw, until Dungeon Siege 3 I have always played as a mage class in every game.

Reinhart is awesome.

Yeah Diablo 3 will be brilliant. Blizzard is definitely the exception and not the rule. While I wish every game could be made to the same quality that Blizzard games are, I know that's not possible as it seems they have the funds to develop games for 10 years and produce gold every time.

Of course they do have the WoW cash cow. Raking in that much money I imagine any developer could produce 10/10 games every time.

Am I the only one a little bit worried about Diablo3? Not hugely, but a little. There's lots of tiny things with the info coming out that makes me think it will be good, but not great. Then again, I'm probably just being cynical and pessimistic from the way I disliked the direction they turned WoW towards.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm absolutely convinced Diablo 3 will have way more builds, and way more skills available to the player and therefore way more to do in combat which absolutely convinces me absolutely that Diablo3 will absolutely have better combat.

Ninja Gaiden has a cool combat system that require active player skill.

Don't take my word for it though, just watch the numbers of players online playing Diablo 3 in comparison to Dungeon Siege 3. Heck, Diablo 2 has more people playing online than Dungeon Siege 3 (and it like 11 years old) and personally I feel Diablo combat system is lightyears ahead of Dungeon Siege 3.

So yeah, shoutout to the devs!

What about Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Not a big enough Star Wars fan to play an MMO based on it.

Diablo 3 looks good but the combat worries me a bit. From the gameplay i've seen it looks like a reskinned WoW minus the MMO stuff. I'm sure it'll be fun, but I hope the combat is at least as innovative and fun as DSIII's. You can have a crapton of abilities but if they're not super fun to use it won't matter as much.

MMO's are such a unique monster unto themselves. WoW perfected the long existing mold of MMO gameplay. I'm hoping someone soon can break it with something completely different and unique. I've seen some games that look promising so we'll see how the future goes for them. In the meantime I hope Bethesda wins the rights to the Fallout MMO, and I hope Obsidian is in on the project when it happens.

MMO's are such a unique monster unto themselves. WoW perfected the long existing mold of MMO gameplay. I'm hoping someone soon can break it with something completely different and unique. I've seen some games that look promising so we'll see how the future goes for them. In the meantime I hope Bethesda wins the rights to the Fallout MMO, and I hope Obsidian is in on the project when it happens.

Different and unique? How's this...

Every myth and legend you've heard is true... Secret societies have made themselves known, and are vying for power...

Oh by the way, this game is being released for consoles and PC, and it doesn't seem as though it was dumbed down at all. This will be a day 1 purchase for me, but I have a feeling it won't be released until the end of the Mayan calendar (2012, of course).

MMO's are such a unique monster unto themselves. WoW perfected the long existing mold of MMO gameplay.
Since when are FedEx quests a sign of perfection?

FedEx quests, kill x number of mobs and the endless grinding for better gear. Can't say about other MMO's since I haven't played any, but I wouldn't call WoW perfect.

Hate the living, love the dead.

MMO's are such a unique monster unto themselves. WoW perfected the long existing mold of MMO gameplay.
Since when are FedEx quests a sign of perfection?

FedEx quests, kill x number of mobs and the endless grinding for better gear. Can't say about other MMO's since I haven't played any, but I wouldn't call WoW perfect.

WoW doesn't have to be perfect... It has countless subscribers, and no other MMO even comes close to the amount of money it's made. I think the game is boring as hell, so I guess that makes me weird, heh. =P

I've never even played WoW. How weird does that make me? I've played LotRO for about 90 hours, but it's been a while.

Most LotRO subscribers are former WoW subscribers and they've told me that I'm not missing much. Especially since LotRO is free to play. I've only spent a total of like $6 in the entire time I've played the game (buying dye and other useless micro-transactions).

Fetch-quests or no, $6 USD for 90 hours of playtime is some serious value.

Edited by bradleypariah

I've never even played WoW. How weird does that make me? I've played LotRO for about 90 hours, but it's been a while.

Most LotRO subscribers are former WoW subscribers and they've told me that I'm not missing much. Especially since LotRO is free to play. I've only spent a total of like $6 in the entire time I've played the game (buying dye and other useless micro-transactions).

Fetch-quests or no, $6 USD for 90 hours of playtime is some serious value.

Actually I think WoW was funner when it first came out, but I lost interest with each consecutive expansion they've released. I can see how people would like the game... It's just not for me, though.

WoW doesn't have to be perfect... It has countless subscribers, and no other MMO even comes close to the amount of money it's made. I think the game is boring as hell, so I guess that makes me weird, heh. =P

Most people play it because they are bored and they've made loads of friends via WoW. The social aspect kept me hooked for years even when I found the game really annoying and boring.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Most people play it because they are bored and they've made loads of friends via WoW. The social aspect kept me hooked for years even when I found the game really annoying and boring.

That's exactly what kept me playing for the past 3 years. The first 3 it was Vanilla WoW which was new, unique, and very challenging. I loved it. It just became like a second job, getting texts at work telling me I was needed for tanking etc...

SW:TOR will still have Tank/Healer/DPS but apparently it's all based on a hybrid system so nobody is stuck doing one thing forever. That's kinda cool. Tera looks neat with its political system and its gorgeous.

But none of them interest me as they're all based on the same mold being used since Everquest. Fallout MMO and Warhammer 40k Online would be the 2 to get me back into MMO's, even if they're the same cookie cutter mold although I hope for new innovations by then.

Given Obsidian's work on the previous Fallout games and New Vegas, I hope they're at least brought in to some capacity to work on the Fallout MMO. Vigil is doing 40k the MMO (the Darksiders guys) and I couldn't be happier, Darksiders was a great game in my opinion.

Fedex quests lol. Yeah hear ya there. Definitely got tired of the "go here, kill this, bring me 10 livers" quests. They really didn't start they're good quest stride until Lich King. I just can't ever bring myself back to play WoW, its like quitting drugs.

That's exactly what kept me playing for the past 3 years. The first 3 it was Vanilla WoW which was new, unique, and very challenging. I loved it. It just became like a second job, getting texts at work telling me I was needed for tanking etc...

SW:TOR will still have Tank/Healer/DPS but apparently it's all based on a hybrid system so nobody is stuck doing one thing forever. That's kinda cool. Tera looks neat with its political system and its gorgeous.

But none of them interest me as they're all based on the same mold being used since Everquest. Fallout MMO and Warhammer 40k Online would be the 2 to get me back into MMO's, even if they're the same cookie cutter mold although I hope for new innovations by then.

Given Obsidian's work on the previous Fallout games and New Vegas, I hope they're at least brought in to some capacity to work on the Fallout MMO. Vigil is doing 40k the MMO (the Darksiders guys) and I couldn't be happier, Darksiders was a great game in my opinion.

Fedex quests lol. Yeah hear ya there. Definitely got tired of the "go here, kill this, bring me 10 livers" quests. They really didn't start they're good quest stride until Lich King. I just can't ever bring myself back to play WoW, its like quitting drugs.

I've played several MMOs and honestly I dislike them. I played EverQuest, I had two "maxed out" characters (Necro, Shaman), EverQuest 2 (short time, it was bland), and a Star Wars Galaxies which was fun as hell but narrow and not enough of a player base. The one and only thing I hate about MMOs... Stupid Trolling Numbskulls. And every MMO has them and they ruin the fun every time for me.

I've played several MMOs and honestly I dislike them. I played EverQuest, I had two "maxed out" characters (Necro, Shaman), EverQuest 2 (short time, it was bland), and a Star Wars Galaxies which was fun as hell but narrow and not enough of a player base. The one and only thing I hate about MMOs... Stupid Trolling Numbskulls. And every MMO has them and they ruin the fun every time for me.

Really?... Everquest had a great community... I never ran into many **** in that game until much later (after sony had gotten it's mitts on it). I have noticed, though, that as time has progressed game communities have been getting worse and worse (especially on WoW). I hope that since the newest MMO that I'm watching, The Secret World, is designed for a more adult audience, that it will have a more mature community... We'll see, though.

Lucas is really the most fun hero hands down, only fights you cant completely kick butt is bosses with retarded 500 dps auras, even then I just used the fire chick and had her sit back and tick them down. I played through as him and even with a bunch of mistakes speccing I still just walked over the whole game on normal difficulty, most attempts any fight took me was the swamp monster and it took me 5 tries before i just cheated and moved on. Oh and my character only feinted 5 times at most after that.