Hey. I've been looking for a game to coop with my girlfriend, and I came across Dungeon Siege. I've read the FAQ, but some reviews online have suggested DS3's Coop isn't all its made out to be.

To give an example of what I'm looking for is something similar to Castle Crashers or Portal in quality.

An example of what I'm afraid I'll get is Fable coop quality, a.k.a really really bad.

So what I'm asking is, can we play a campaign, both get loot and levels etc (I read somewhere you can't as coop?) and save, continue with it another day (read you can't?) etc etc? Can we play through the entire game together?

This may seem obvious, but I don't want to buy two copies to find out coop sucks.

This would be for PC.

Edited by Sidguard

Hey. I've been looking for a game to coop with my girlfriend, and I came across Dungeon Siege. I've read the FAQ, but some reviews online have suggested DS3's Coop isn't all its made out to be.

To give an example of what I'm looking for is something similar to Castle Crashers or Portal in quality.

An example of what I'm afraid I'll get is Fable coop quality, a.k.a really really bad.

So what I'm asking is, can we play a campaign, both get loot and levels etc (I read somewhere you can't as coop?) and save, continue with it another day (read you can't?) etc etc? Can we play through the entire game together?

This may seem obvious, but I don't want to buy two copies to find out coop sucks.

This would be for PC.

In local co-op, all your girlfriend has to do is to press start and she will rejoin with all her progress.

I personally love this game. My girlfriend likes playing Torchlight, so this isn't too much of a stretch for her.

When we play co-op on my machine, any time she joins back in, all her progress, skills, and inventory are still there.

If she drops out, her character simply just becomes an NPC with all the perks she's added to it. It's friggin' brilliant.

I can understand why people don't much like letting the host keep all the loot in online multiplayer, but in couch co-op it totally works.

You two share the same inventory, and your saved games can be single-player or cooperative with the push of a button.

It's not going to be like playing Portal, per se. It's more like Torchlight with a controllable camera.... or like Dragon Age with a stubborn one. :)

If you're really only asking about quality -- Quality it is.

There's totally no problems with the multiplayer guys ... it's perfect. Can I join the ODS now?

What's ODS?

What's ODS?

Obsidian Defense Squad, i'm assuming.

If you're going to play coop with your girlfriend then you should play start to finish together. Never use the same save to play solo or her characters gear will suffer. She'll always be the same level regardless, but as you play together she'll get a few drops in the game world (like 20% of what you do) and you should use all your gold to purchase her better items. You'll find plenty of good gear for your character questing.

The loot in this game needs some tweaking in multiplayer. Just balanced out really, its not broken, or horrible like some people are saying. And now that PC's have keybinding, only the camera truly needs fixing.

Actually, I've been bouncing back-and-forth between single player and co-op with only the one game. There have no issues such as you speak of.

I simply make a conscious decision to not sell her stuff while her character is controlled by the NPC.

Whenever she logs in, all her previous gear is there and every time I level up, so does she, and I simply don't level her character for her. When she logs back in, she may be a little lost in the story, but her skill points are right there waiting for her to assign them.

I more consider this "my game, but I let her play". If she's not in the mood to play, I play without her.

I've considered starting my own single player campaign that I wouldn't let her play, but it really doesn't matter to either one of us.

Actually, I've been bouncing back-and-forth between single player and co-op with only the one game. There have no issues such as you speak of.

I simply make a conscious decision to not sell her stuff while her character is controlled by the NPC.

Whenever she logs in, all her previous gear is there and every time I level up, so does she, and I simply don't level her character for her. When she logs back in, she may be a little lost in the story, but her skill points are right there waiting for her to assign them.

I more consider this "my game, but I let her play". If she's not in the mood to play, I play without her.

I've considered starting my own single player campaign that I wouldn't let her play, but it really doesn't matter to either one of us.

Yeah its a good idea when doing that to not sell the gear for her character (unless its crap gear).

However 80% of the world drops still favor the hosts character, this is where it needs tweaking in a coop game.

It wouldn't matter which character she selected, they'd level up to your level regardless as to if they've been played or not. It's just about the gear.

The problem with people's acceptance of lack of persistent character saves is simple: If there were persistent character saves I could have the same co-op experience that anyone here describes. That feeling of starting your characters together, only levelling them together, playing at the same level, sharing loot, etc. etc. etc. ... ALL of those things can be done in a game like Borderlands AND you can also have your very own saves of your versions of the characters that you can continue to play and hunt loot even after you have finished the campaign with your firend/girlfriend/gamer buddies.